Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > I need the Modem to Disconnect When There's an Incoming Call

I need the Modem to Disconnect When There's an Incoming Call
moggy
Jun 8, 2001, 01:21 AM

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if there is anyway to have my modem connection disabled immediately if there is an outside call. I tried it once and it disconnected and rung on my regular telephone after 10 rings, so that's really not that helpful.
Is there any shareware program out there that would fix this, or is there just a control I'm forgetting about?

Thanks!

G5 Dual 2Ghz UNF UNF

Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2001, 02:44 PM

Not sure if this will help.
In Australia you can have "call waiting" on you phone line this meanes that if you are on the phone and you get another call you can answer the other call or put them on hold.
only trouble is if you are connected to the internet and you receve a call the phone line disconnects your internet connection.
Call up your phone company and ask a few questions.
Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Jun 9, 2001, 02:50 AM

yep, back in my modem days call waiting would do the trick. You can even disable it if needed. It does get annoying to certain points too. Can you afford a seperate phone line just for your computer, or switch to a faster interenet source such as DSL or Cable?
- Eric

hotani
Senior User
Jun 15, 2001, 12:58 AM

call your phone company and ask for voice messaging - it is a service that acts as an answering machine when the line is busy, and lets you know there is a message by giving a staggered dial tone when you pick up the phone.

or you could get another line, or broadband...
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2001, 05:16 AM

Cool. Any more specific suggestions for those of us who are too poor for another line? I just want something that rapidly disconnnects my modem and lets me answer the incoming calls. My friends and family are starting to think I'm a real online junky (and they are right!).
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

Aussiemac
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2001, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by OverclockedHomoSapien:
<STRONG>Cool. Any more specific suggestions for those of us who are too poor for another line? I just want something that rapidly disconnnects my modem and lets me answer the incoming calls. My friends and family are starting to think I'm a real online junky (and they are right!).</STRONG>
Answer. A.D.S.L allows a permanent internet connection and a phone line on one phone line, 4 times faster than 56k, no dial in charges, no second line charges, (digital).

Aussiemac
iMac 21.5"-2.4GHz i5, 15"-2.66 i7 MacBook Pro, iMac Bondi G3/233 (still working), HTC Desire, Golf V GTI DSG

Forum Links
Forum Rules