Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Login Application, Accidentally Quiting

Login Application, Accidentally Quiting
DarwinX
Jun 11, 2001, 11:50 PM

This problem has been one that has presented itself every now and again throught the Mac OS 9 versions. But it seems to be happening a lot as of late. It's weird though, because it seems as if only after long use that it happens...anyways the problem....whenever I go to shut down my Mac for the night, I usually Log Out, and then hit the shutdown button. When I do it starts to shut down, and just before it does the alert comes up "the application login has unexpectedly quit" and then the login window appears again, then if I click shutdown again it shuts down? As anyone experienced this problem or have any insight? It's greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Corinthian
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2001, 12:04 AM

HI,
Before I go on, I'd like to ask which version of Multiple Users are you cureently using? Old version s like 1.3.3 might have problems of this kind, though I only experienced them when I was logging in.....
You may try to upgrade first and see if this problem is solved........
Hope this can help you
TiBook rulezz~~

TiBook 800/512/40/Combo Drive
TiBook Giga/512/60/SuperDrive

DarwinX  (op)
Jun 12, 2001, 12:16 AM

I'm currently running Multiple Users 1.4.1(the latest update). To go into more detail this really is quite odd. It seems as if I turn my computer on and use it for s short period of time and then try it, it doesn't happen. But whenever I have been using my computer for a long period of time like this (I'm not sure if its the long activity and no log out, or I have no real good idea) it always seems to happen when I go log out and shut down. Just odd I tell ya. Thanks for the help!

reader50
Administrator
Jun 12, 2001, 01:34 AM

It rather sounds like one of the applications you use has a memory corruption bug. After using it a while, it corrupts the Login application in memory, so that a logout will fail. Login relaunches clean from disk, and then works fine.

If so, the way to catch it would be to note which apps you have used during each session, and look for a pattern. Once you know which app is the problem, look for an update. Or complain to the publisher.

DarwinX  (op)
Jun 12, 2001, 01:47 AM

reader50,

I think you got it exactly right. While I'm not totally sure that is the best explanation that would seem to make the most sense. The three apps I use prior to logging out and shuting down are IE 5, AIM, and MSN (hmm...2 M$ products... 1 AOL product...could that be it? )hehe. Anyways, I will try out different combinations of those programs and see what happens. Thanks for the help!

Forum Links
Forum Rules