Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > High capacity 12" battery? where?

High capacity 12" battery? where?
cteselle
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2005, 03:20 PM

Well the battery has finally had it on our original 12" powerbook. Only lasts about 30 minutes on battery.

Can someone point me the right direction of a high capacity 12" battery? My search here didn't find much. Someone mentioned that OWC had a 12" battery but I did not see it on their site.

I'm thinking that one is not available yet, so I may just have to get the apple replacement. Is the latest 12" battery better than the original?

Any info would be appreciated!

thanks!

t500
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2005, 07:58 PM

I bought some stuff from OWC and they had a flyer in the box that said they now offer a hi capacity replacement battery for the 12in Power Book, You may want to give them a call.

Jerr

Dr.Michael
Mar 10, 2005, 03:55 AM

Originally posted by t500:
I bought some stuff from OWC and they had a flyer in the box that said they now offer a hi capacity replacement battery for the 12in Power Book, You may want to give them a call.

Jerr
That would be interesting.

Can you report, cteselle, what they say? I was looking for the same item at their (and other) sites and did not find something.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2005, 04:28 AM

The OWC batteries appear to be for 15" powerbooks and ibooks only. I'm also looking for a higher capacity battery, my rev b 12" is down to 1:35 if I'm lucky. It has been a quick decline, a few months ago I was over 3 hrs easily.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2005, 12:37 PM

Yeah I'm noticing that as well. My 12" used to get 3:45 with brightness all the way to one bar two months ago, now the same will get me 3:00. Oh well...I can't expect this thing to run off of the same battery forever...how long does Applecare cover battery issues?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

cteselle  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2005, 07:49 PM

I just called OWC, and inquired about the higher cap batteries for the 12". He said that they currently do not have them, but said it was only a matter of time. When asked if they had an ETA on said batteries, he said "Give it about a month".

So it looks like an apple replacement battery is coming my way, as I don't really want to wait a month (if that is even true).

Dr.Michael
Mar 11, 2005, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by cteselle:
I just called OWC, and inquired about the higher cap batteries for the 12". He said that they currently do not have them, but said it was only a matter of time. When asked if they had an ETA on said batteries, he said "Give it about a month".

So it looks like an apple replacement battery is coming my way, as I don't really want to wait a month (if that is even true).
Thanks for the info.
I am waiting for this battery because I also want to get an iPod replacement battery from owc. International shipping is too expensive to pay it twice for two separate items.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2005, 04:14 AM

Whoever get's them better make sure to post feedback in this forum. I'm really intrigued by a higher capacity battery for the PB. If I could get a sold 4 hrs without sacrificing screen brightness, there'd be no way I could not upgrade my batt.

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 11, 2005, 12:53 PM

Why is the 12" battery so different from the 15" (at least the TiBook)? I keep hearing about problems with the 12" PowerBook battery going bad after as short as a few months, more usually a year or so. But with my 15" TiBook, at 2 1/2 years old, it was still going strong at 2 hours! The most I ever got with that battery was 2:45 so I haven't really lost much time, especially compared to the 12" stories I've read.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2005, 01:11 PM

Well it's been one year and couple months since I've had my PB and I still get a good 3 solid hours on it. I just want to be able to get around 4 hours at least without having to manipulate my screen brightness and turn off airport, I'm greedy.

Autumn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2005, 02:29 PM

My 15 Tibook 1Ghz is almost 2 and 1/2 years old but I'm still getting about 2:45 to 3 hours normal usage. Guess I'll have to wait for a while to get the replacement battery from OWC.
( Last edited by Autumn; Mar 11, 2005 at 02:44 PM. )
My first Mac:

15.2-inch Titanium G4 @ 1Ghz
1GB Ram
40 GB
64MB Video Ram

iPod Nano 4GB Black

freeblee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2005, 04:20 PM

That's just not fair heh, my 12" Rev. B is about 1 1/2 years old and the battery's completely shot - (30-45 minutes tops)...So I'd be very interested if a higher capacity after-market model came out.

I already ordered a replacement from apple...which seems to be taking forever to ship. When I ordered - the shipping time was 3-5 days - now my order status says it is supposed to ship today but I'm worried as the Apple Store web page now reports the shipping time to be 3-4 weeks! There seems to be a major shortage of these 12" batteries!

Ben

sworthy
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 12:23 AM

I've always thought that it was because I've been using my 12" mostly hooked up to an ACD. Does leaving it plugged in ~80% of the time reduce the life of the battery?

My fiance's ibook still gets 4 hrs+

Autumn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2005, 01:56 AM

Mine is plugged in all the time, except when I travel. So I guess it's not a problem, at least not for me.
My first Mac:

15.2-inch Titanium G4 @ 1Ghz
1GB Ram
40 GB
64MB Video Ram

iPod Nano 4GB Black

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 03:35 AM

I am still getting awesome battery life on my RevC 12". 10 months old and these are my battery stats...

"IOBatteryInfo" = ({"Capacity"=4268,"Amperage"=230,"Cycle Count"=99,"Current"=4225,"Voltage"=12573,"Flags"=8 38860807,"AbsoluteMaxCapacity"=4400})

Highest capacity ever recorded was "4482"

I check the battery numbers every few days, and log them into a text file as a record.

blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Jens Peter
Senior User
Mar 12, 2005, 03:42 AM

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:
I am still getting awesome battery life on my RevC 12". 10 months old and these are my battery stats...

"IOBatteryInfo" = ({"Capacity"=4268,"Amperage"=230,"Cycle Count"=99,"Current"=4225,"Voltage"=12573,"Flags"=8 38860807,"AbsoluteMaxCapacity"=4400})

Highest capacity ever recorded was "4482"

I check the battery numbers every few days, and log them into a text file as a record.

How do you check the battery status ? In the Terminal with some command, or does OS X have a utility program that does that ? (then, I can't find it)...

Anyway, I get about 3,5 hours on my new 12". But a high capacity battery would be nice

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2005, 03:52 AM

Information on finding battery status here:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...50213125925746
12" PB 1 GHz Combo, 60GB, 512MB, AE
40GB iPod

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by Jens Peter:
How do you check the battery status ? In the Terminal with some command, or does OS X have a utility program that does that ? (then, I can't find it)...

Anyway, I get about 3,5 hours on my new 12". But a high capacity battery would be nice
lots of info and conparisons here... in this classic thread..

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...t=battery+test
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

jschaumburg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2005, 01:32 PM

Well the battery has finally had it on our original 12" powerbook. Only lasts about 30 minutes on battery.

Can someone point me the right direction of a high capacity 12" battery? My search here didn't find much. Someone mentioned that OWC had a 12" battery but I did not see it on their site.

I'm thinking that one is not available yet, so I may just have to get the apple replacement. Is the latest 12" battery better than the original?

Any info would be appreciated!

thanks!
I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble. But if you can hold out for a couple more weeks, OWC will begin shipping high-capacity NewerTech NuPower batteries for the 12" and 17" PowerBooks toward the end of this month.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2005, 10:47 PM

Thats really nice to know.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2005, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by freeblee:
That's just not fair heh, my 12" Rev. B is about 1 1/2 years old and the battery's completely shot - (30-45 minutes tops)...So I'd be very interested if a higher capacity after-market model came out.
My housemate and I both have Rev B's of a similar age, and have found exactly the same thing. I manage to get an hour normally, he gets more like the 30 mins or so you seem to be experiencing.
12" Rev B PB

fred123go
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2005, 08:07 AM

Hey guys,
First post here basically and wondering if you could give me a bit of help with a simple question.
I have a Rev A 12" 867mhz Powerbook and the battery is getting on a bit, i am thinking of buying one off the Apple website but these new OWC high capacity ones look just the job.
What is the likely increased battery life time? Maybe upto 5.5-6 hours?
More importantly, Will these work here in the UK??
If they don't, does anyone know of any retailers who do them for the UK spec?
thanks
Fred

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2005, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by jschaumburg:
I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble. But if you can hold out for a couple more weeks, OWC will begin shipping high-capacity NewerTech NuPower batteries for the 12" and 17" PowerBooks toward the end of this month.
I hope that's true. I'd love a high-capacity battery for my 12" PB.

I keep AirPort on (since I need it both at home and when away) and I run my screen at about 70% brightness. Even with BT off and processor speed at reduced, I get about 3 hours of hard work out of it. I'd kill for more. I already have a second Apple battery I keep charged for when I'm someplace I can't plug into the AC.


fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 10:34 AM

owc just added a higher capac battery...for the 14" ibook.

still no sign of a 12" batt (and the end of the month approaches...)

w/airport on & a dimmer screen, getting about 4 hours or more on my 1 year old revC...but like everyone else, want MORE..!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 12:39 PM

Please tell me he didn't think you were talking about the 12" iBook...Please.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2005, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
Please tell me he didn't think you were talking about the 12" iBook...Please.
Well, i don't know what (s)he did think, but the thing is real:

Replacement Batteries for PowerBook G4 12" Aluminum. Coming Soon.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2005, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by Pierre B.:
Well, i don't know what (s)he did think, but the thing is real:

Replacement Batteries for PowerBook G4 12" Aluminum. Coming Soon.
Finally! How long do you all think we'll be able to get out of them?

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Mar 26, 2005, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by sworthy:
Finally! How long do you all think we'll be able to get out of them?
Easy to guess.
For the new iBooks Newertech delivers 4800mAh batteries. I guess the capacity for the 12 inch Powerbook will be the same.

The actual Powerbooks have a 50Wh = 4166mAh Batterie. Thus the capacity will increase by 15%.

The .887/1 GHz Models have only a 47Wh = 3917 mAh Batterie. Thus for us lucky guys the capacity increase will be 20% (= 1hour in real life ). This might mean our babies will run for 5 hours on one charge, or more if Newertech delivers more than 4800 mAh. Cool!

Dr.Michael
Apr 23, 2005, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by I was David B.
Easy to guess.
For the new iBooks Newertech delivers 4800mAh batteries. I guess the capacity for the 12 inch Powerbook will be the same.
Hi David,
congrats. The battery is out and you were exactly right with the 4800 mAh guess!!!!!!!!!!
Cool. I'll get one soon and I will also buy the enhanced iPod battery.
Info for european customers: You don't have to pay customs for battery import .

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2005, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
Info for european customers: You don't have to pay customs for battery import .
Are you sure? You mean that if anyone in Europe orders such a battery, (s)he will pay only the battery value plus shipping and handling, and not the crazy 21% or more of the total ( value + s.h. ) for VAT?

Dr.Michael
Apr 23, 2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Pierre B.
Are you sure? You mean that if anyone in Europe orders such a battery, (s)he will pay only the battery value plus shipping and handling, and not the crazy 21% or more of the total ( value + s.h. ) for VAT?
I once bought a Pismo battery in Lucerne and brought it to germany. I was controlled in Basel and told them what I bought and where. No customs! But of course you have to pay your local taxes (16% in germany).

I don't know were you are (wasn't it switzerland?). But you can always call your local customs office (at the airports or train stations) and ask them.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Michael
I once bought a Pismo battery in Lucerne and brought it to germany. I was controlled in Basel and told them what I bought and where. No customs! But of course you have to pay your local taxes (16% in germany).

I don't know were you are (wasn't it switzerland?). But you can always call your local customs office (at the airports or train stations) and ask them.
I see.

No, I am in Belgium and I think I would have to eat the fat 21% VAT on the total price . Perhaps I will buy another Apple battery at the end, as they are now at 129 euros.

Forum Links
Forum Rules