Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Booting Gentoo Linux from DVD

Booting Gentoo Linux from DVD
Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2007, 06:52 PM

I just downloaded the Gentoo PPC install .iso and burnt it to a DVD using the disc utility. When I tried to boot from the CD drive, it didn't recognize the disc. I would use a CD but all of the CD's I have are only 700MB and the ISO is 800 something MB's. Why won't the DVD work?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2007, 08:12 PM

What format was the DVD burned as?

What made you choose Gentoo, just out of curiosity?

Dark_Lotus  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2007, 09:41 PM

Umm, I guess ISO, I don't know. I chose Gentoo just because I heard it ran well on Macs.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2007, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dark_Lotus View Post
Umm, I guess ISO, I don't know. I chose Gentoo just because I heard it ran well on Macs.
Gentoo is a "roll it yourself" style Linux OS, where you basically build each component yourself. Apparently, there is some tension within the community right now, so its future is a little doubtful. I run Gentoo on my work computer, and like some things about it, dislike other things. It is definitely not a good choice of a Linux OS for novice users, it is intended for expert Linux users.

Ubuntu made a PPC version, but I believe no longer develops new versions for PPC Macs. Yellow Dog Linux might be your best choice of distro, it is modeled after Fedora which is modeled after Red Hat Linux - the big powerhouse Enterprise Linux distro of in the industry.

I bet you burned your DVD as an HFS/NTFS hybrid, which is why it won't boot. I'd check it out first within Disk Utility, or by getting info on it in the Finder.

Dark_Lotus  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2007, 11:42 PM

Alright, Ill check out YDL. I checked out the file type and it said ISO 9660 File System. I don't know whats goin on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules