Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Airport Extreme in Ubuntu

Airport Extreme in Ubuntu
Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2007, 01:44 PM

I just installed Ubuntu on my iBook G4, and I would like to get Airport Extreme working. I have been following several guides trying to get it to work. Mostly this one: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...r/bcm43xx/Edgy After I installed bcm43xx-fwcutter and tried to copy the Airport extreme driver, it wouldn't recognize the file. Its the driver that was located here: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAirPort2.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleAirPort2 The guide said the driver should have the extension .sys or .o but the Airport driver doesn't even have a filetype. What am I doing wrong? I worked on this all last night and I still can't figure it out. Im a linux novice, so any help would be appreciated.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 27, 2007, 05:26 PM

Why are you trying to copy the OS X Airport driver? The Ubuntu instructions here seem pretty clear, they even link to the required .o file.

fire3500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2007, 05:35 AM

Obviously depends on whether you need to run any features of "Edgy" but you'll find that "Dapper" releases will work right off the bat with AE. I had this installed on my 1.67Ghz PBG4 with no issues to report.

Cheers
Ian

Forum Links
Forum Rules