Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Spider-Man 3: The reviews say it's mediocre.

Spider-Man 3: The reviews say it's mediocre. (Page 2)
Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 4, 2007, 12:54 PM

I thought the 3rd one was a huge disappointment.

pooka
Mac Elite
May 4, 2007, 04:44 PM

Holy crap. Went in looking for mindless fun. I can't even describe how I feel. Hang on. Let me cry for a minute (like everyone in the movie).

In the immortal words of Dr. Peter Venkman... "I feel so fukcin funky."

What was the point of that? Jeeze. Make Evil Dead 4 already.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2007, 04:53 PM

I think a lot of people had a similar reaction, pooka. In the theater I was in everyone was really enthusiastic at the beginning. When the credits rolled, a few people clapped while others jeered. I thought it was decent. My brother liked it a lot.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

pooka
Mac Elite
May 4, 2007, 05:32 PM

The symbolism was unmistakable in my mind. Try telling me the story didn't parallel that of Britney Spears rise to fame and ultimate fall. Except Britney's lack of superhuman strength made her fits more comical.

"Like, OMG, when I was doing this parade once, all the kids were like 'high-five me, Spidey!' and I was so like 'No way, kid!'"

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2007, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
Holy crap. Went in looking for mindless fun. I can't even describe how I feel. Hang on. Let me cry for a minute (like everyone in the movie).

In the immortal words of Dr. Peter Venkman... "I feel so fukcin funky."

What was the point of that? Jeeze. Make Evil Dead 4 already.
No to be a jackarse, but since I know pretty much every line in Ghostbusters, I can assure you Dr. Venkman merely said "I feel so funky."

Now go wash your mouth with soap.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
May 4, 2007, 11:39 PM

I don't know how anyone could actually enjoy this film... I was a big fan of both Spiderman 1 & 2 and all of the X-Men movies, but this movie was terrible. The cheesy dialogue, the one-liners, and mixed up plot made this movie bad. The scenes with 'evil' peter parker were awful. They show him walking around on the sidewalk pointing to girls and giving them the thumbs up for way to long. This movie was like a bad comedy, action, and drama all rolled into one then given a superhero twist. I was extremely dissapointed and had the urge to leave the theatre three or four times. Don't waste your time or money.

selowitch
Mac Elite
May 5, 2007, 01:31 AM

I agree it wasn't as good as the first two, mainly because they sullied the innocence of pure love between Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson, and because in general the interpersonal relationships lost their credibility. The action scenes were pretty fantastic, too, and (Spoiler Alert) the redemption of Harry was a nice twist. They should have cut both scenes of Kirsten Dunst singing (the whole thing was too long). and shortened some purely expository scenes. Anyway, it was a lot more clumsily paced than the other two and was overall less compelling emotionally. Too bad.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2007, 01:46 AM

IMDB is giving it a 7.9/10... over 4500 votes:

Spider-Man 3 (2007)

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2007, 01:48 AM

Just got back from a 8:40 showing.

I was a fan of the first two Spiderman's. I actually asked for my money back and got it.

It was that bad.

Not only does it not even remotely follow any story line from the comics, the story just plain sucked.

The only saving grace was Eddie Brock and Venom.

I could go on, but I don't want to waste your time like I just did.
The Religious Right is neither.

Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
May 5, 2007, 01:50 AM

Alls I can say is this casting decision was a great choice.

Rumor
May 5, 2007, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by selowitch View Post
I agree it wasn't as good as the first two, mainly because they sullied the innocence of pure love between Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson, and because in general the interpersonal relationships lost their credibility. The action scenes were pretty fantastic, too, and

They should have cut both scenes of Kirsten Dunst singing (the whole thing was too long). and shortened some purely expository scenes. Anyway, it was a lot more clumsily paced than the other two and was overall less compelling emotionally. Too bad.
Please use spoiler tags for those that haven't seen the movie yet.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2007, 02:59 AM

I just got back from seeing it. Easily the best of the three, and better than the third X-Men movie — though I thought all those movies sucked, so that's not extremely high praise. A couple of the Evil Peter scenes were over the top, but ****, they weren't any more ridiculous than the entire first film.

The biggest problem with this movie, and I think the reason people came out of it feeling dissatisfied, is the ending. I'm not going to give anything away plot-wise, but I will say that the pacing suddenly comes to a dead stop and never really picks back up. I think the movie was aiming for quiet and contemplative, but it just winds up with limp and lifeless, so you walk out of the theater feeling let down because of the last few minutes.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2007, 04:44 AM

I got the distinct feeling that despite the budget, equipment, and effects... no one knew what the hell they were doing when they were making this film. The "mood" was never set in a scene correctly... it was either off target, over the top, or absent completely.

The dialogue was easily the worst part of all, making Parker seem like some awkward smiling robotic actor. Awkwardly enough, someone sitting near me in the theatre compared his demeanor to the "Enzyte Man", and for most of the movie that seemed true.

The jokes and more "humorous" parts of the movie like Parker dancing in the street, were so forced that the audience seemed to laugh more out of a "WTF" and "well.....ok..." reaction, then they did at the actual jokes / situations. There was a good deal of laughter after lines that simply sucked, and weren't intended to be funny. The more serious moments in the movie just felt empty, cliche, and hastily thrown together.

It was easily the worst movie I have seen in the theatres in a long time, and I would be kind to give it a 3/10. I was tempted to just leave about 30 minutes in, and actually saw a few people do just that, and not come back.

I entered the theatre with a positive mind set. I was excited to see how everything unfolded compared to the comics, and I thought it was going to be quite a good show... I guess you can't win them all.
yep.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2007, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tenacious Dyl View Post
The jokes and more "humorous" parts of the movie like Parker dancing in the street, were so forced that the audience seemed to laugh more out of a "WTF" and "well.....ok..." reaction, then they did at the actual jokes / situations.
Heh, I actually said "what the ****?!" during that scene in the club. It looked like one of those spoofs they do on the MTV Movie Awards.

I still say, frankly, that it was better than those other two turds. I don't see how anybody could complain about this movie's writing if they liked the last two. I guess stupid looks better when it's more uniform?
Chuck
___

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2007, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I guess stupid looks better when it's more uniform?
Haha, quite a valid point! The first two were so poorly done, that they probably felt they had no where to go but up... it was just frustrating that they mucked up their last movie in the series, and left fans bored or pissed off.

Had the plot / dialogue been reworked a bit, and had they stayed a bit more true to the original story, I'm sure they would have been much more able to rake in cash from merch. following the movie, and would have helped to carry on Spiderman to newer generations. It feels like they just killed it. I guess it just shows how little a factor dumping millions of dollars into something really is. (Primer anyone?)

Oh... a highlight of the movie was a kid (maybe 16?) who stumbled up the stairs during the movie, who kept bending over and picking things up off the stairs.... but there wasn't anything there to pick up... He did this for a good 4-5 minutes, clearly under the influence of something more than just alcohol, and when we were all leaving, there was a security guard and a local police officer who looked to be trying to figure out what drugs the kid was on, while getting him into some handcuffs.
yep.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2007, 05:20 AM

No kidding. There was more crying in this movie than all of the Batman & Superman movies combined. I don't think I have ever seen a super hero movie that had all the main characters cry at least twice.

Originally Posted by kobi
The only saving grace was Eddie Brock and Venom.
And Bruce Campbell as the French Maître d’.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2007, 12:51 AM

Well, I saw it. It sucked. I give it 2 stars out of 5, and even that's being generous.

It was completely disorganized, and the plot (if you can call it that), acting, and directing made it extremely hard to give a chit about any of the characters, even though they tried hard by making all of them cry.

Basically it was a throw-absolutely-everything-into-the-movie-and-hope-something-works type of movie. Unfortunately it didn't.

Even the action was lacking. And the flying snowboard simply looked dumb.

The only really good part of the movie was the black spidey suit.

Originally Posted by Stogieman
And Bruce Campbell as the French Maître d’.
OK, that too.
( Last edited by Eug; May 6, 2007 at 01:05 AM. )

selowitch
Mac Elite
May 6, 2007, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I don't think that's entirely fair; sure, it was not as good as the last two films, but I thought

was a pretty neat twist.

Do I recall correctly, or did they never identify Eddie Brock's alter ego as Venom? I mean, we all know it's Venom, but i don't recall anyone ever uttering that name during the film.
( Last edited by selowitch; May 6, 2007 at 01:19 AM. )

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2007, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by selowitch View Post
I don't think that's entirely fair; sure, it was not as good as the last two films, but I thought

was a pretty neat twist.
I didn't think it was much of a twist, just rather forced.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2007, 01:22 AM

I think that a lot of the criticisms were valid but a "little" overstated.

It was a "little" too long.

Mary Jane's singing I could have lived without, but I don't think they really hurt the movie for me. I never got the impression that we were supposed to believe she was a great singer. I would have cut the second one and left the first one.

I understand that they seem to have wanted more than just a high-tech superhero movie, but all the touchy-feely stuff was a little too much.

Too much Sandman, not enough Venom. I can't for the life of me understand why Venom came in so late. Perhaps they should have introduced Eddie Brock and the black suit in the second movie and left us hanging. Then they could have introduced Venom much earlier and Sandman later. We didn't really NEED a Sandman origin and back-story in the movie did we?

The whole thing where Peter started strutting around and acting like a fool was just ridiculous.

Gwen was ugly and boring. Seriously, is that the BEST they could find?

Kirsten Dunst has looked better.

---

It was cool to see Peter stop acting like whiney little bitch and actually get angry and kick someone's ass for once.

Harry was much better as a villain than I expected and the redemption was cool.

Bruce Campbell always rocks.

SPFX were pretty damn good.

Plenty of action.

That's all I can think of.

3.5 stars out of 5.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2007, 01:24 AM

There's nor reason they they couldn't have made it look like the original black suit, that would have been better IMO.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

selowitch
Mac Elite
May 6, 2007, 01:25 AM

I didn't think it was much of a twist, just rather forced.
Well, that's not how it hit me, but that doesn't make you wrong. I thought it was pretty exciting.

But, like most folks, I really hated what they did to the

and it just lacked the cohesion and emotional strength of the previous two films. Also, the never adequately explained why Spidey kissed Gwen Stacey at the key ceremony, touching off the whole crisis between MJ and Peter.

They made an interesting choice not to have

, but instead left them in a state of ambiguity. That's truer to the spirit of the original comics, but it's a little frustrating for a filmgoing audience already stratching its collective head over some very strange decisions undertaken by the writers and director.

I, too, would have liked to have seen a lot more of Venom and Eddie Brock. The crying was overdone, too.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
May 6, 2007, 01:57 AM

Why, why, why did they

Other than that, the movie was pretty mediocre. Brock could have been cast better, and Venom needed more screen time. I liked Harry as a villain though, and his ending was cool, if not true to the comics.

Overall, a decent action movie with killer special effects and very weak cohesion. The one-liners were just too much for me at times, and Peter's emo hair was just ridiculous.

Oh, and they should have made the black suit look more like the original:

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2007, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Gwen was ugly and boring. Seriously, is that the BEST they could find?
After having seen several of her movies, all I can think is that Bryce Howard must be very good on the casting couch.

Kirsten Dunst has looked better.
No kidding. Kirsten Dunst used to be hot and a good actress. Now she's neither. What happened there?
Chuck
___

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2007, 02:13 AM

After having seen several of her movies, all I can think is that Bryce Howard must be very good on the casting couch.
Personally I think she's great in The Village (even though I think the movie is just OK overall).

And I don't think her acting in Spider-Man 3 was any worse than anyone else's in that movie (although that's not saying much).

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2007, 02:32 AM

Personally I think she's great in The Village (even though I think the movie is just OK overall).
She was my favorite part of The Village, I didn't even realize that was her! Too bad she sucked in this movie.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
May 6, 2007, 05:47 AM

Worst movie Since Superman VI

Save your money for Harry Potter in June.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2007, 09:50 AM

She was my favorite part of The Village, I didn't even realize that was her! Too bad she sucked in this movie.
Too bad they all sucked in this movie, as did the movie itself.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2007, 09:54 AM

Ok, I need something explained. I did leave about half-hour before the end, but:

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2007, 09:57 AM

Ok, this may partially explain why this movie is so half-assed:

The Venom character was not from your comic book experience but you found a way to integrate him into your script. How long did it take to get a handle on the character?

RAIMI: [Producer] Avi Arad said, “Sam, listen: You are so aware of all these ’70s villains, but you really need to incorporate Venom into this story because the fans really love Venom, and don’t be so selfish with just the villains that you know and love.” So I said okay. I didn’t understand that much about Venom because I hadn’t read him as a kid. So I went to school on Venom and Avi taught me a lot about Venom and then Alvin Sargent, our screenwriter, he really was the voice of Venom in the writing of the screenplay. And he showed me who he was. Then Topher Grace brought another life to the character, and I learned who he was. And in trying to satisfy the comic book fans, we incorporated Venom into the story.

So basically, Raimi was told to write in a character he had absolutely no interest in. It definitely showed in the movie.

Oh and:

Sony has announced that they’re planning to do “Spider-Man” 4, 5 and 6. Are you going to have anything to do with those?

RAIMI: Yes, Sony’s making 4, 5 and 6, but I haven’t had time to even think about involvement. I don’t want to assume that they were definitely going to ask me to do it. I don’t want to be presumptuous about that.

Well, after #3, I ain't interested Sony.

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Ok, I need something explained. I did leave about half-hour before the end, but:

It was just one of many stupidities in the writing, but not the worst by far IMO.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2007, 10:12 AM

Rotten Tomatoes is now down to 62% Overall / 45% Cream.

After seeing this movie, that's higher than I would have guessed, which would have been something more like 30-40%.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 6, 2007, 11:33 AM

Ya I was wondering the same thing. Just stupid writing one case of many.
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; May 6, 2007 at 12:09 PM. )

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2007, 12:26 PM

Another spot with bad writing was when

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2007, 12:46 PM

Judging from that quote that was featured prominently in the previews but wasn't in the movie, I'm thinking maybe Mary Jane was supposed to be worried about them killing each other. That was the explanation that came to my mind.
Chuck
___

Super Mario
May 6, 2007, 12:53 PM

You guys, you guys. You guys can't remember Superman 2 and 3?

In Superman 2, he renounces his superpowers and becomes a normal person until the villain comes and make lots of trouble. Then Superman gets his powers back.

In Spiderman 2, he renounces his superpowers and becomes a normal person until the villain comes and make lots of trouble. Then Spiderman gets his powers back.

In Superman 3, an evil dark and more powerful Superman takes his place and goes on a rampage. Normal Superman and evil dark Superman have a fight. Superman wins and fights the villains.

In Spiderman 3, an evil dark and more powerful Spiderman called Venom takes his place and goes on a rampage. Normal Spiderman and evil dark Venom have a fight. Spiderman wins and fights the villains.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 03:50 PM. )

Super Mario
May 6, 2007, 12:57 PM

pooka
Mac Elite
May 6, 2007, 01:14 PM

As shitty as Superman 3 was, at least evil superman banged loose chicks and terrorized bar patrons with supersonic peanuts. Spidey danced and shopped at Banana Republic.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2007, 01:39 PM

As shitty as Superman 3 was, at least evil superman banged loose chicks and terrorized bar patrons with supersonic peanuts. Spidey danced and shopped at Banana Republic.
I saw this non-politically correct statement in another forum, and I kinda felt the same way. To paraphrase:

Bad Spidey is supposed to become more aggressive, and more bad-boy-"cooler", not to become more in touch with his inner flamer.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 6, 2007, 03:58 PM

Remember in all the promos and trailers they showed Spiderman in his black suite hanging from the building and looking at his reflection but he sees a red suite?

I could have sworn he saw the black suite and not the red in the actual movie.
I know why they did it, just interesting.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
May 6, 2007, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Remember in all the promos and trailers they showed Spiderman in his black suite hanging from the building and looking at his reflection but he sees a red suite?

No, you're right, I noticed that immediately in the movie.

Why did they do it?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 6, 2007, 04:18 PM

This is what bothered me about the movie. To many convenient situations. Too predictable. Too empty.

For example:

1) All the bad guys are introduced within the first 5 minutes of the movie. No building up, no backgrounds.... just "here are your badguys for this evenings performance".
2) Out of all the places for that meteor with venom to land, it just happens to be 30 feet from the most perfect human host it can imagine.
3) Sandman hops one small fence and rolls down a pit where they just happen to be running some midnight particle accelerator tests (Run by hot science chicks). Everything gets mutated into sand (including his shirt and belt) but NOT the locket with the picture on him. The same lock survives being washed down the sewer.
4) The acting and writing. "Hey pete, I don't remember much... my dad is like dead right?", "Ya",
"Oh, ok. I have the best friends in the world". He also bashes his skill in at the very start leaves no scar at all... but one grenade makes half his face unsexy for life.
5) Same thing over and over. Who didn't think the movie would climax with some girls or Mary Jane dangling somewhere high and falling in stages until scooped up last second.
6) Convenient situations. Peter tries to rip off the black suite and just happens to find its one weakness as naturally a belltower is the best place to be. Oh and at the same time the one guy who hates Peter happens to be there also and becomes Venom. And when sandman first runs from the cops after his "morph" he runs 10 feet to happen to find a giant sand truck parked in the middle of NY.
7) I don't know anything about Venom but Topher was not convincing to me as he just looked like a stupid, young, goofy guy in a CG suite.
8) What did we learn from this movie? What is the moral? Spiderman killed someone in the first movie that didn't really kill his uncle? Sandman can run wild as he is sorry? Kursten can't sing?

Oh and I want to see the uncut footage of spiderman swing home naked after he got that venom suite off.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2007, 04:32 PM

2) Out of all the places for that meteor with venom to land, it just happens to be 30 feet from the most perfect human host it can imagine.
If this bothered you, I recommend never ever watching a movie again, because any movie where remarkable things don't happen will be boring as ****.

He also bashes his skill in at the very start leaves no scar at all... but one grenade makes half his face unsexy for life.
You say that as though powerful explosives are universally acknowledged as being much weaker than a 10-foot drop — I'd definitely fall a short distance before I'd take a grenade to the face. And he hit the back of his head anyway, so while he probably had stitches and a scar, it wouldn't be visible.

8) What did we learn from this movie? What is the moral? Spiderman killed someone in the first movie that didn't really kill his uncle? Sandman can run wild as he is sorry? Kursten can't sing?
I thought the moral was pretty blatant: Even heroes and average Joes have the potential to be complete selfish dicks if you give them half a chance, and even villains might actually be very nice guys.

I guess I should put this in spoiler tags:

Chuck
___

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2007, 04:43 PM

Best. Superhero movie. Ever.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2007, 04:47 PM

I haven't seen the movie yet. Does he just see himself in the black suit, or does he see Venom? I've never really read the comics, but there is a similar scene in the 1990s Fox animated television series in which Spider-Man, in black, looks at himself in a window and sees Venom snarling back at him.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2007, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I haven't seen the movie yet. Does he just see himself in the black suit, or does he see Venom? I've never really read the comics, but there is a similar scene in the 1990s Fox animated television series in which Spider-Man, in black, looks at himself in a window and sees Venom snarling back at him.
He sees himself in the black suit — he's actually seeing his reflection. The version with the red suit was just a poster meant to illustrate what the movie was about.
Chuck
___

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 6, 2007, 05:06 PM

If this bothered you, I recommend never ever watching a movie again, because any movie where remarkable things don't happen will be boring as ****.
Na but some EFFORT on the writers behalf would be nice. Rumors long ago suggested that venom would be brought back by that astronaut MJ was dating in #2. That would at least give some connection to Peter.

Same goes for how he found out sound is venoms weakness. Before I went in my friend told me of the weakness so I was thinking for weeks how they would let spiderman figure it out. Boy was I let down.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2007, 05:30 PM

I agree that Raimi tried to make the movie more than a generic superhero action movie. We just happen also to think that he failed miserably.

Instead of deep introspective characters, they were just uninteresting whiners. IMO The Hulk had much better character development, even though I didn't like that movie either.

Super Mario
May 6, 2007, 05:36 PM

This is what bothered me about the movie. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I did that to Casino Royale and they said "ITS JUST A JAMES BOND MOVIE!"

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2007, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I did that to Casino Royale and they said "ITS JUST A JAMES BOND MOVIE!"
I'm not a big fan of Casino Royale either, but at least it was semi-coherent in many parts. IOW, it was vastly better than Spider-Man 3 IMO, but of course that's not saying much since I have such a low opinion of Spider-Man 3.

I think the producers are partly to blame, by forcing Raimi to include Venom when it was clear that he was uninterested in doing so.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2007, 06:10 PM

terrible movie.
the entire cinema was in tears of laughter when the butler said "I loved your father" and the whole emo peter parker thing? classic!
we don't have time to stop for gas

Forum Links
Forum Rules