Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Art Direction Critique! Hack it Up!

Art Direction Critique! Hack it Up!
KeriVit
Professional Poster
May 23, 2007, 07:47 PM

OK, I did this ad as a last minute project for my MFA a few months ago. I think it got a B. Anyway. The class ended, I hung it on the wall to work on later. However, now that I prepare for my review, I realize I have stared at it for so long I don't know where to start re-working.

The goal is to market classical music to teens. Renew interest in the Gen Y.

I know I need to rework some placement, but I'd like to improve the concept overall. Any comments are welcome. I'll try not to whine.

The copy is just for feel, but if you so desire to comment on that, feel free.

Thanks

voth
Forum Regular
May 23, 2007, 09:41 PM

My only complaint (coming from a non-artistic background) is the text. I mean the white text, the font doesn't really work for me the cursive-like writing in some places blends into the background and makes it harder than it should be to read. I like the overall theme Try to rework "Take listening to a new level" the uneveness is a little distracting.

Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
May 23, 2007, 10:23 PM

I love the headphone cord leading down to the arrow, pointing at the free MP3 download. That was a cool concept. I think the entire ad is pretty cool and creative, although like voth said, the white text is a little un-readable. Very nice work though.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
May 24, 2007, 04:16 AM

The goal is to market classical music to teens
I find your concept slightly overbearing and I'm not sure of the big idea behind it?!

Stylistically it's interesting and keeps the eye entertained.

Placement needs a little work as previously mentioned, I'd also reconsider the script you're currently using for the small areas of body text.

andi*pandi
May 24, 2007, 10:45 AM

take listening
and
to a new level

need to be closer together to relate more. The special initial characters for that font are ok for the big T, but not in the smaller text below (Find) where it just makes it hard to read. Agreed on the thin white cursive. You've already got a distinctive display font, I'd go for a readable modern sans.

Free MP3 could be a smidge bigger. If you're going to stagger it, stagger it more, and have less leading.

I really like the background collage!

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
May 24, 2007, 02:22 PM

Andi- since this is a double page magazine spread, the text is spread out. SO do you mean that or horizontally?

I will reconsider the body copy as everyone has mentioned.

Jono, would a logo help bring the concept together?

How about visual hierarchy? Is it flowing, it seems a bit awkward to me....

Thanks for the replies so far!

JonoMarshall
Senior User
May 24, 2007, 02:26 PM

What would the logo say though? For me it's stylistically attractive but there's no hook..?

If it's about linking classical and rock/young music together then I can think of a million ways of approaching the problem... you could have some real fun with it!

andi*pandi
May 24, 2007, 02:47 PM

if the huge gap between

take
listening

and

to a
new level

is because of the page break, then that makes sense. I still wonder if it would be ok with a bit less space though. I retract my objection...

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
May 24, 2007, 03:08 PM

The Goal is to encourage teens to listen to classical music.

Andi, I'm from an offset print bkgd, I have not done a lot of magazine ads. I know for me, I could adjust graphics in a thicker book with creep. Does anyone know if this done by the magazine or is there a formula for crossover in a print magazine? Maybe for the purpose of this experiment I just make it look normal and not put body copy in that gutter.

If anyone has thoughts on how else to express the creative concept, feel free to chime in.

Thanks.

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2007, 04:16 PM

disclaimer: I'm not a graphic designer, but dabble in the craft for fun and when it relates to my work. That said, I of course noticed the music notation elements first.

There are two eighth notes in the central white music notation element who's flags are backwards. Also, the black "5/6" is obviously in a standard font for time signatures, but is not a valid time signature. Maybe 12/8, 6/8, 3/4, 4/4, etc.

Kind of a nitpicky comment, but given your subject and audience these things might stick out like the apple logo with a backwards leaf

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
May 25, 2007, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Briareus View Post
disclaimer: I'm not a graphic designer, but dabble in the craft for fun and when it relates to my work. That said, I of course noticed the music notation elements first.

There are two eighth notes in the central white music notation element who's flags are backwards. Also, the black "5/6" is obviously in a standard font for time signatures, but is not a valid time signature. Maybe 12/8, 6/8, 3/4, 4/4, etc.

Kind of a nitpicky comment, but given your subject and audience these things might stick out like the apple logo with a backwards leaf
Damn stock art!

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 31, 2007, 02:16 AM

My only complaint is that the kerning seems to be a bit off on the headline type. 'Course, maybe that's intentional.

Forum Links
Forum Rules