Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Durability of MBP

Durability of MBP
Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2007, 11:32 PM

I'm getting ready to purchase a laptop for college. I am majoring in computer science. This will be my ONLY computer for the next four years. I want to make sure it will last long and the performance will be up to par for the next four years. I cannot make up my mind between the Thinkpad T60 15.4" widescreen or, of course, the new Macbook Pro 15.4". The reason I was going to go with a Thinkpad is because the the durability, looks (can be a pro or con), run linux and windows for computer science programming, and the battery life. I want to go with the MBP because it runs OS X (windows and linux), its beautiful, and great graphics (plus the screen is gorgeous).

There were a few things I want to know from MBP owners.

Does the screen press into the keyboard when you carry it around? (my old iBook G4 felt as if the lead was flexing against the keyboard when you carried it)
Would you want to take it to every class with you? Do you consider it portable?
How has your case held up? Does the case scratch and dent easily? (I take extremely good care of my computers, but alot of people have been saying that the MBP case dents and scratches)
Those who run windows/linux, are other OS' stable on the MBP? (I will need to program in windows and linux for my computer science degree)
Do you regret getting a MBP?

If you could answer any of my questions I would greatly appreciate it.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2007, 11:47 PM

If you absolutely beat the crap out of a laptop, it's likely the Thinkpad will prove more durable than the MBP. The Thinkpad is plastic-coated titanium; the MacBook Pro is aluminum. Drop it a foot onto a corner and you will get a dent.

That said, given ordinary care, the MacBook Pro is plenty durable. Get a good bag (personally, I think the Timbuk2 bags are the bees knees), don't use it if you try out for the discus on the track team, and you'll be fine.

The best thing about the MBP is that it runs OS X. There are some awesome apps on the Mac (Circus Ponies Notebook, Voodoopad, DEVONthink, Yojimbo, etc.) that are OS X only and will be really helpful for note-taking and organization in college. Heck, if I'd had the options 20 or 15 years ago I might have ended up with a 3.98 rather than a 3.93 :-)

OreoCookie
Jun 6, 2007, 01:48 AM

Buy a neopren sleeve for your laptop, no matter which one it'll be. MacBooks and ProBooks are plenty durable and will satisfy your needs for the next four years. I've taken my 12" iBook everywhere and even though I went through three keyboards, it worked quite well. My new ProBook doesn't have this pesky key impression issue anymore. They don't scratch or dent easily, but you'll be more likely to notice scratches than on plastic. Also, Mac users are a bit more attentive to these things than PC users
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2007, 07:31 AM

I had a PowerBook G4 which was just about the same size. I think the current MBP's are a little thinner then their older counter parts but my answers pertain to the MBP

Originally Posted by Dark_Lotus View Post
Does the screen press into the keyboard when you carry it around? (my old iBook G4 felt as if the lead was flexing against the keyboard when you carried it)
No it doesn't but I also like to have a little piece of fabric between the keyboard and display. Its not needed as I've never saw any marks on the screen. Just me being anal

Yes, I took to it class and/or when I traveled but I didn't take it bare. It was in a Tom Bihn brain cell case and backpack.
How has your case held up? Does the case scratch and dent easily? (I take extremely good care of my computers, but alot of people have been saying that the MBP case dents and scratches)
Because I used a case and backpack it wore very well, however Aluminum is a fairly easy metal to deform and if you drop the MBP you're going to incur damage. I was fortunate/careful enough to never drop it and I owned my PowerBook for 4 years.
Those who run windows/linux, are other OS' stable on the MBP? (I will need to program in windows and linux for my computer science degree)
I run windows in both Parallels and bootcamp on my Mac Pro and the macintosh line of computers is very stable to run windows (as stable is windows is ) I have not heard anything contrary regarding the MBP though I don't have any first hand experience with windows and MBP[/QUOTE]

To summarize the MBP is a great computer with a lot of speed and potential and if you take normal steps for protection it will last you a long time. To supplement that protection you can purchase insurance such as safeway which will cover accidental damage where is AppleCare (apples extended warranty) only covers defects.

I'm personally on the fence of buying one myself. The new machines look really sweet and I could really use the 15" display for my 40+ old eyes.

Basu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2007, 07:04 AM

I'm starting college with a MacBook too, but what I want to know is that if I'm going to be using this full time, is a 13" screen going to be too small? I won't be doing video and graphics, mostly coding.

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 13, 2007, 09:16 AM

Yes, but Apple provides you with this sheet of cloth which can be used as a "shield" between the keys and the screen. Never used it because there are only one or two keys that made small marks on my screen (cleans easily).

I took mine to class everyday for the last year and a half. Its portable, but I wish they would make the 12" versions of MBP's.

Very well, considering I dropped it about two-three times on a carpeted floor. No marks, just one or two scratches.

Do you regret getting a MBP?
No.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 08:18 PM

The MBP is all good. Just buy or make a sleeve for it and toss it in a backback and you are good to go. My laptop was always with me carried that way in grad school (I made a sleeve out of wetsuit neoprene). As for possible scratches in an aluminum case... Who cares?

-Allen Wicks

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 08:55 PM

My keyboard has permanently scuffed the screen -- I'm not too happy. Other than that, it's a durable machine.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 09:57 PM

While I know you are asking is about the MacBook Pros, I took my PowerBook to school regularly for four years, banged it around, and generally abused the bloody hell out of it. It was a tank. I would have no reservations about taking my soon-to-be-purchased MBP around with me.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 14, 2007, 10:16 AM

I have kept the foam sheet that my MBP shipped with. It's kept the keyboard and screen sufficiently apart to prevent any scuffs. I HIGHLY recommend a neoprene sleeve to do much more than simply protect the case from bumps and scuffs-it's also good for acting as a lap pad when you actually put your laptop on your lap. They DO get pretty warm! I use the Incase sleeve, by the way.

I've had mine for about a year, and I'm VERY happy with this setup.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Dark_Lotus  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2007, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I have kept the foam sheet that my MBP shipped with. It's kept the keyboard and screen sufficiently apart to prevent any scuffs. I HIGHLY recommend a neoprene sleeve to do much more than simply protect the case from bumps and scuffs-it's also good for acting as a lap pad when you actually put your laptop on your lap. They DO get pretty warm! I use the Incase sleeve, by the way.

I've had mine for about a year, and I'm VERY happy with this setup.
Good. I bought one last thursday with my MBP, its the burgendy incase sleeve. I have the sleeve but I returned the 2.2Ghz MBP so I could buy the 2.4Ghz one this weekend. Thanks for all of the help!

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2007, 05:32 PM

Thinkpads are teh durable. I have subjected several to cruel and unusual punishment in hostile environments around the world, and have nothing but praise for them. Now, if they only ran OSX, I would switch....

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2007, 10:59 AM

The only issue is scratching... gotta be SUPER careful about that. the scratches are rather visible on the alumnium. so take good care

"my preciousssssssss"

I have been lucky to keep mine scratch free... although there is a 'tiny' mark on the back lid lol... nobody is perfect

One other thing... if it is carried in a bag with books make sure that you dont bend or warp the body of the mac. sometimes bulky books can apply pressure on the case unevenly in a bag.

rob.

USNA91
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise View Post
While I know you are asking is about the MacBook Pros, I took my PowerBook to school regularly for four years, banged it around, and generally abused the bloody hell out of it. It was a tank. I would have no reservations about taking my soon-to-be-purchased MBP around with me.
Agreed.

I have had my PB G4 for almost 4 years. I take it everywhere, which has included two trips to Ireland, several to Mexico, and God only knows how many flights, meetings, etc. My 4-year-old daughter even stepped on it once, and all that happened is that the slot for the CD got slightly deformed (Murphy's Law - Foot Placement Corallary). Only now is the case displaying any scratches at all, and the only annoyance is the loss of some paint on the left side of the keyboard by the speaker.

All in all, I love this damned thing and can't wait to get it's newer brother.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2007, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Basu View Post
I'm starting college with a MacBook too, but what I want to know is that if I'm going to be using this full time, is a 13" screen going to be too small? I won't be doing video and graphics, mostly coding.
I would say a 13" would be too small for anyone who will be using it for lengthy periods of time. A macbook might still be a good choice if you can afford a larger external monitor. I have a 15" MBP and sometimes the screen feels too small. I'm considering a larger monitor myself or perhaps a 17" mbp at some point. Decisions decisions.

Forum Links
Forum Rules