Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Choosing a 15" Macbook Pro

Choosing a 15" Macbook Pro
shaydaims
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2007, 01:32 PM

Alright, here's my dilemma: (Sorry if I sound like a complete NoOb)

As a double major in Computer Science and Computer Engineering Technology, you can probably imagine that my year-and-a-half old AMD Sempron 2800 laptop is very cumbersome indeed. I have decided to upgrade to a MacBook Pro. The last Mac I had was a PowerBook Titanium and it was great! So, here's the question:

After my student discount, the 2.2 GHz MBP is $1799.00, while the 2.4 GHz MBP is $2299.00 ... That $500 could really be put to good use in a lot of other areas of my life... so... Considering that I will be using this mostly for development, doing a lot of compiling, maybe some GUI stuff, perhaps some web-apps (but certainly nothing SUPER graphics intensive, I'm not really into multimedia)... Should I really take the plunge? The thing that really bothers me about the difference between the two is actually the memory on the graphics card (128Megs vs 256Megs) more-so than the minor bump in processor speed.

On another note, I'm not really into video editing or anything... but I'd probably fiddle around with it if I had a powerful machine like the MBP.

Do I really need the 2.4GHz, or should I drop my ego, and save myself $500 and go for the 2.2GHz model. Comments? Who else owns the 2.2GHz Model, and what do you think?

Thanks (feels like a complete NooB),

James

silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2007, 01:43 PM

I had this same dilemma the other day, I chose the 2.4 ghz version.
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server
15 inch Macbook Pro Unibody and Apple 24 inch LED Display.

Dark_Lotus
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2007, 05:28 PM

I also faced the same dilemma as you. I'm actually going to be a computer science major also. I ended up having the money and figured that if I wanted this computer to last me as long as possible then I should probably get everything on it that I can't upgrade in the future. So it basically depends on how long you want the computer to last and if you have the money or not.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2007, 05:51 PM

Since you're not doing Motion/Aperture, I'd say take the 2.2 except for one itty bitty little thing: virtual desktops. The programmers I know live by their virtual desktops, so if you're used to them on another OS you'll probably want the 256MB.

Slightly off-topic, what is Computer Engineering Technology? 'Hardware for programmers'? Or some other non-engineering field that wants to call itself engineering?

shaydaims  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2007, 09:35 PM

Computer Engineering Technology - - - Sort of a hybrid between electronics engineering technology and computer science, you can choose hardware or software options. I am a hardware option. I added CS as a second major because I think the combination will prepare me for my desired career field (and I really like programming).

HoOn
Jul 3, 2007, 11:31 PM

I'm in the same dilemma as we speak. I'm leaning towards the 2.4 but the $500 difference would pay for 4GB memory and possibly a nice Monitor. Arrgg I'm still undecided!

Good Luck to you!

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 4, 2007, 12:45 AM

As far as I can tell, the extra VRAM only matters if you are going to plug in a 30" monitor. There was even a barefeats comparison that was shocked at how little difference the extra VRAM made in speed under normal use.

The CPU speed difference is minimal. Putting extra RAM in the 2.2 model, or a 7200 rpm HD, would make a much more noticeable speed difference.

I, personally, would save the $500 for an iPhone...

shaydaims  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2007, 02:34 PM

For an i-phone, huh? That's a VERY interesting proposition! Too bad I'm on a VERY long contract with Tmobile. I decided a while back that the iphone was too frivolous, but of course, as with the rest of the country, now I really want one. Maybe I'll save the money and buy a Tmobile dash... I can get one of those VERY reasonably, and until the iphone, it WAS the top rated smartphone on CNet. ---- WAY OFF THREAD TOPIC! lol.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2007, 01:54 AM

Personally, I'd go for the 2.2GHz option and then use the saved money for AppleCare and/or a 24" monitor to with the laptop. Having a large monitor definitely helps me with my work (coding, systems admin, etc).

simonnr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 6, 2007, 08:15 AM

2.4 - 2.2 = 200 Mhz!! NOTHING!!! The big difference is in the VRAM.. since your not doing Anything to Graphic intensive.. save the money!

Forum Links
Forum Rules