Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook won't let me log in

MacBook won't let me log in
ScottH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2009, 04:14 PM

Hi.
Had an error with my MacBook freezing up and couldn't do anything about it.
I was just surfing the web using Firefox. I was on facebook with my iTunes open as well listening to music.
When it froze, I couldn't access anything, so i performed a hard boot.

It booted back up normally and then when i logged in it froze again.
Hard booted again and ran Disk Utility.
It fixes an error on my HD then i rebooted again.

Now when I boot, it boots fine, sort of.
I get to the login screen, type in my password. The password window goes away and the generic apple blue screen is there, and it never goes away.
I've left it on for about an hour like that, nothing happens.
It simply stays there and never logs in or does anything.
Help! ):

reader50
Administrator
Oct 12, 2009, 04:42 PM

System files are corrupted on disk, which may have been caused by impending drive failure. If the drive is OK, then you can fix it with an archive & install.

However, if the drive is not OK, then you should avoid doing anything intensive to it until you have all your data backed up somewhere else.

For the moment, try booting in Verbose mode. At least you can read the error messages and see where the boot process stops. Hold down Command-v during boot. And make sure you are backed up.

ScottH  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2009, 05:59 PM

Ok.
Had another user on my macbook.
Logged in fine, but 20 seconds after my cursor turned into the spinning wheel and after that I can't do anything. Happens every time.

Tried to boot from my install disk to do an Archive & Install and my Drive just spits the CD right back out.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 21, 2009, 06:10 PM

Do you have another Mac available, and a FireWire cable? If there's a problem with your optical drive, you can use another Mac as the drive.

Connect the FW cable between the two Macs. Insert the install disc into the other Mac. Boot it with Command-F held down. Now boot your MacBook with Option held down - you will see all available boot devices. Including the disc inserted in the other Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules