Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone ever buy an Apple Refurb?

Anyone ever buy an Apple Refurb?
linusone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2004, 07:24 PM

As the subject asks, has anyone bought a refurb'd powerbook from Apple? I'm looking at the 17" prices, and they are tempting. I know they come with a full year warranty, but the "fear" of getting a bad - but acceptable by Apple - display or something bugs me. I guess the "used car" syndrome - just buying someone else's headache.

Thanks for any insight.

luxx78
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2004, 10:24 PM

I just bought a refurb. 15" pb about 2 weeks ago. When I opened it up it looked pretty much brand new(even smelled new), so that was cool. I started it up and noticed it had a bunch of scratches all over the screen, so I called apple the next morning and had it shipped off to be repaired. The whole process was extremely quick, I had it back 2 days later(screen replaced) and it appears to be flawless so far(everyhitng, not just the screen). So, I guess if you do get one that has problems, hopefully you can have a good experience with their tech. people like I did. Other than the screen though, it looked brand new out of the box.

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2004, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by linusone:
As the subject asks, has anyone bought a refurb'd powerbook from Apple? I'm looking at the 17" prices, and they are tempting. I know they come with a full year warranty, but the "fear" of getting a bad - but acceptable by Apple - display or something bugs me. I guess the "used car" syndrome - just buying someone else's headache.

Thanks for any insight.
I bought my wife a refurbished iBook a year ago and she loves it. Never had a bit of trouble with it. Looked great out of the without any imperfections. I would buy another one in a sec. Hope this helps.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

Mcoupe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2004, 03:58 AM

I bought a 15"/1.25 refurb from Apple. I was a bit hesitant at first considering that its refurbished (used), but I couldn't resist the price. Everything worked fine except for the Airport Extreme card. If I moved more than 1' away from my WAP it wouldn't pickup any signal. I went to the Apple store the next day and they swapped it out, free of charge! Since then, I haven't had a single problem with it.
( Last edited by Mcoupe; Feb 8, 2004 at 03:23 PM. )

linusone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2004, 09:24 AM

Thanks everyone. Looks like a 17" is coming my way.

GeneShifter
Feb 8, 2004, 09:48 AM

I also bought a refurb, a Rev A 12"er. It has been the best computer I've ever owned. It comes with the same warranty as a new one so who cares if it is used. Also, Apple did a very good job of making mine look like new. Could not recommend refurbs more.
Doing my part to make MS obsolete. Oh, and the Iraq war is a bogus war.

galaga
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2004, 12:46 PM

I have never bought a refurb but as far as I know, in a normal production run, only a certain % (about 25%?) of units are tested. ie. The chances are with a new machine, it hasn't been thoroughly checked. Whereas with a refurb it has definitely been put through every test Apple have. Hope this helps.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2004, 08:22 PM

A friend at work bought a refurb 15" 1.25GHz SD and it was perfect. Saved $500 and I couldn't tell the difference from new.

gbarill
Feb 9, 2004, 02:15 AM

how do you find out the prices for refurbs? i haven't been able to find anything at their website?

linusone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2004, 11:45 AM

On the Apple Store home page, there's a red tag reading "SAVE" and a header of "Special Deals". Click that, and it will take you to their current offerings of refurbs.

Scoo
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2004, 11:53 AM

I just ordered my refurbed 15.2" AlBook Superdrive from online Apple Store this morning. Like Mcoupe, I couldn't resist the $500 price break. I was all set to march in to the Lenox Square Apple store today too, but I had to check Apple.com just one more time, and I'm very glad I did! Now... the waiting begins. I'll kill some time here while I wait.
The music is not in the
piano- Clement Mok

Voch
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 02:35 PM

Still happy with my refurb TiBook 667/DVI that I bought about a year ago.

Voch

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2004, 05:37 PM

Do it! I saved �450 on my 12" PB, the screen rippled but they fixed it quickly.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Scoo
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2004, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by Scoo:
I just ordered my refurbed 15.2" AlBook Superdrive from online Apple Store this morning. Like Mcoupe, I couldn't resist the $500 price break. I was all set to march in to the Lenox Square Apple store today too, but I had to check Apple.com just one more time, and I'm very glad I did! Now... the waiting begins. I'll kill some time here while I wait.
That was quick! My AlBook arrived 30 hours after I ordered it! It's flawless! So many nice details I had no idea about! Apple rules!
The music is not in the
piano- Clement Mok

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2004, 10:45 PM

For anyone still considering... I have bought 2 refurbs from Powermax (they're Apple refurbs) and even got some extras in the deal and have gotten beautiful machines. Actually, I've had more problems with new machines than refurbs!

burmeseboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2004, 07:08 AM

Mmmmm...cheaper Powerbooks!

I've just been checking out the refurbs at the apple online store and I'm getting giddy with excitement except for one query...all the important stuff is listed but there's no mention of all the software usually bundled with the new models like iLife...am I right in assuming this is included or does one need to get this seperately? Dumbass question I know but I'm too excited to think straight...

linusone  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2004, 10:05 AM

Received both Panther OS discs and iLife '04 with my 17" 1ghz refurb.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2004, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by linusone:
Received both Panther OS discs and iLife '04 with my 17" 1ghz refurb.
This is good news, I just pulled the trigger on the same model yesterday and it'll ship tomorrow. I knew it came with Panther but didn't expect iLife 04.

I bought a new 1Ghz 15" in October and found I need more screen space so my neighbor is buying my 15" sans the 512MB ram upgrade I put in it.

How's the quality? Like new (or better than) I hope.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2004, 11:46 AM

Refurb iBook 500 and G4 933 here. Arrived in perfect condition.

mania
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2004, 11:20 PM

I bit the bullet today when I saw a 1.25 15 incher in the refurbs. should be here on wednesday - already ordered a 512 stick and a firewire external drive. already have a logitech two button mouse and let me say the right mouse button is a must have in osx.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2004, 05:40 PM

Update:

Well my Rev A 17" refurb got here today and it's perfect, much better than my AL 15" which was *coughs* new.

Screen is perfect, screen tension is better, and hey 1440 x 900 is increadible.

I'd definitely buy a refurb Apple again.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

rsgunther
Feb 29, 2004, 10:54 PM

I just got my 15" powerbook with superdrive - Refurb yesterday. It is perfect. Excellent job by apple.. saved me $500.00 and works great. I will definately buy a refurb again!

Forum Links
Forum Rules