Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Syncing two (or more) Macs

Syncing two (or more) Macs
Beerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 10:07 AM

I have two PBs that I use frequently, and so inevitably have files that are different. I know that Windows (*gasp*) has an "offline files" feature that allows a user to sync their computer's files to a remote system when it is available - is there a way to do this with a Mac? I have not figured a good, efficient way to make this happen, but it appears that there are plenty of you out there who have >1 system (i.e., desktop + PB, 2 PBs, etc.). Anyone have an idea of how to make this work?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2005, 10:25 AM

First:
The "offline" file feature in 2000 and XP barely works. Certain file types aren't synced at all, and it's very very easy to get the thing into a wonky state where it essentially becomes disconnected from the source files.

If you are serious about syncing you have several options:

1) Buy a dedicated sync software solution. This is by far the most flexable & robust solution. Point to the folders you wish to sync and badda-bing ... it's done.

2) If you have .mac it allows you to sync more than files and folders. Your contacts will remain synced, your bookmarks will remain synced, etc. This is a VERY nice feature.

As for syncing files with .mac, you are limited to your .mac drive. Basically anything that's on your .mac drive will be shadowed to your local drive and kept in sync among your various machines. I use this with quite a bit of success.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2005, 10:27 AM

Carbon Copy Cloner. Or Backup.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 11:06 AM

Chrono sync is a good syncing software as well.

Beerman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 11:23 AM

I agree (partially) with the Windows sync assessment. We use it in our office to a good deal of success. The sync option I am looking for would ideally work the same way - look at the files, figure out which is the latest version, and adjust the one that isn't. I'll go look for Carbon Copy Cloner and others and see what I can find. I was really hoping that there was something built-in in X that would facilitate this process...

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2005, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Beerman:
I agree (partially) with the Windows sync assessment. We use it in our office to a good deal of success. The sync option I am looking for would ideally work the same way - look at the files, figure out which is the latest version, and adjust the one that isn't. I'll go look for Carbon Copy Cloner and others and see what I can find. I was really hoping that there was something built-in in X that would facilitate this process...
Just iSync via .Mac. As to how or even if this will evolve beyond what it is now remains to be scene. Tiger may or may not improve the situation.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2005, 11:31 AM

Under Tiger, iSync and Backup become .MacSync.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Beerman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 11:32 AM

I thought that iSync was limited to smaller items (contacts, bookmarks, iCal appointments) - I already use iSync to handle these items between 2 PBs and an iMac. I did not think that it was robust enough to handle all files...

RonnieoftheRose
Feb 10, 2005, 11:41 AM

I do everything manually over firewire or ethernet. I haven't seen any automatic software do as good a job as human hands.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 11:51 AM

I have two PBs that I use frequently, and so inevitably have files that are different. I know that Windows (*gasp*) has an "offline files" feature that allows a user to sync their computer's files to a remote system when it is available - is there a way to do this with a Mac? I have not figured a good, efficient way to make this happen, but it appears that there are plenty of you out there who have >1 system (i.e., desktop + PB, 2 PBs, etc.). Anyone have an idea of how to make this work?
I use a different approach..... I have 5 Macs that I use and often use 3 different PBs. I bought 5 1GB Jumbo Drives ($40 ea).. Everyone has their own Jumbo drive and they take it with them to use on any computer. It's like presto... all my personal data is there!

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2005, 11:52 AM

I thought that iSync was limited to smaller items (contacts, bookmarks, iCal appointments) - I already use iSync to handle these items between 2 PBs and an iMac. I did not think that it was robust enough to handle all files...
See my previous post ....
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Beerman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by driven:
See my previous post ....
Got it - I thought of that, but really didn't want to have to transfer everything to .Mac to set it up - I have a large document file as well as music, photos, and other stuff I have pack-ratted over time.

I just downloaded the trial of ChronoSync, and I'll see how that works. If it's good, I'll report back...

Lukas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 02:27 PM

ChronoSync is an excelent product with powerful rules and filters. Also check out their web site for tips & tricks.
Then combine ChronoSync with the DoSomethingWhen pref pane from www.azarhi.com and you've got your auto-sync solution. I use it this way to synch my mobile FW drive.

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2005, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Lukas:
ChronoSync is an excelent product with powerful rules and filters. Also check out their web site for tips & tricks.
Then combine ChronoSync with the DoSomethingWhen pref pane from www.azarhi.com and you've got your auto-sync solution. I use it this way to synch my mobile FW drive.
Lukas -- As I said I use chronosyn for some things. But I do think I'm not setting something up right. When I sync my documents folder from desktop to laptop many of the folder dates change to that day, as opposed to keeping the dates when they were actually changed. I did e-mail the company, but didn't really understand. It wasn't totally a deal breaker, because my intent was to have the files in both places. But it sort of bugs me that I'm doing something wrong.

Beerman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 10:39 AM

I downloaded DoSomethingWhen from that site, and it is a nifty little program- Basically, I have it set up so when I mount up the HD from the other PB, it recognizes this, opens my saved Chronosync setting to sync my documents folder, and waits for me to start the sync. Since the only time I will mount up the PB HD is when I want to sync, this action doesn't get in the way of other tasks. I wish I could make it start the sync as well, but I haven't played with it enough yet.

Lukas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 11:39 AM

I wish I could make it start the sync as well, but I haven't played with it enough yet.
ChronoSync is scriptable. You could write an AppleScript that will execute your ChronoSync document. Possibly you want to save the script as an application, then select it to launch in DoSomethingWhen when your drive mounts.

I haven't scripted ChronoSync yet and my scripting skills are very basic anyway. But I see this in the ChronoSync Suite:
"Synchronize: Performs a synchronization based on the document's settings
Synchronize reference -- the object for the command"
That should work.

By the way, I prefer to "Trial synchronize" to see what has changed and to manage possible conflicts in advance.

Lukas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 11:46 AM

When I sync my documents folder from desktop to laptop many of the folder dates change to that day, as opposed to keeping the dates when they were actually changed.
If I understand you right, this behaviour is normal.
You are synching files, not folders. An older file will be overwritten by a newer file, therefore "something" has just changed in the parent folder's content. The parent folder reflects this by changing its modified date to "now".

Folder dates may also change on many other occasions without actually changing the content. If I remember correctly, on OS 9 if you would turn on file sharing and change any file sharing settings for a directory, all folder dates would change to "now" as well.

Beerman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 11:51 AM

ChronoSync is scriptable. You could write an AppleScript that will execute your ChronoSync document. Possibly you want to save the script as an application, then select it to launch in DoSomethingWhen when your drive mounts.

I haven't scripted ChronoSync yet and my scripting skills are very basic anyway. But I see this in the ChronoSync Suite:
"Synchronize: Performs a synchronization based on the document's settings
Synchronize reference -- the object for the command"
That should work.

By the way, I prefer to "Trial synchronize" to see what has changed and to manage possible conflicts in advance.
I agree with the trial sync - especially when it comes to things like my Quicken register and other *very* sensitive items. I want them on both 'books, but I definitely don't want the data corrupted while doing it. In the few syncs I have done since installing the software, I have had zero errors, so I'm crossing my fingers.

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2005, 03:25 PM

If I understand you right, this behaviour is normal.
You are synching files, not folders. An older file will be overwritten by a newer file, therefore "something" has just changed in the parent folder's content. The parent folder reflects this by changing its modified date to "now".

Folder dates may also change on many other occasions without actually changing the content. If I remember correctly, on OS 9 if you would turn on file sharing and change any file sharing settings for a directory, all folder dates would change to "now" as well.
well, that makes perfect sense. And, as I said, the CONTENTS are the same -- it's just the file folder dates. And of course, I like things my way, with the two perfectly the same. But it's not a deal-breaker and I think everything runs pretty well. So I use it and like it.

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2005, 03:34 PM

[[I agree with the trial sync - especially when it comes to things like my Quicken register and other *very* sensitive items. I want them on both 'books, but I definitely don't want the data corrupted while doing it. In the few syncs I have done since installing the software, I have had zero errors, so I'm crossing my fingers.]]

I tend to be very, very protective of quicken files, as you obviously are! I save my register in more than one place (including my .mac idisk) and transfer that file by hand. i feel safer than way. I back it up on a thumb drive, too.

Lukas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2005, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by bbales:
it's just the file folder dates. And of course, I like things my way, with the two perfectly the same.
I don't think it's technically possible to keep modification dates of folders in sync on two machines, unless you turn those folders to packages (bundles). Like that they will be treated by the system (and by default also by ChronoSync, but it's an option) like a single file.

What I miss is synchronization of Finder Labels without "touching" the file's/folder's mod. date. (On the other hand, last week I have ordered the new PowerBook to replace both my "old" iBook and PowerMac G4, so probably I won't have those daily synching issues in the future, while using ChronoSync more as a backup utility.)

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2005, 06:05 PM

ichibod
Feb 16, 2005, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by ism:
Synk is pretty good.
Yeah I use Synk, I found it easiest to use, and free EDU license makes it a great product.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2005, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by ichibod:
Yeah I use Synk, I found it easiest to use, and free EDU license makes it a great product.
I originally wanted it for home/non-profit use (pb to imac), but ended up getting the commercial version since it works so well with my windows share at work.

Lukas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2005, 05:00 PM

I wish I could make it start the sync as well, but I haven't played with it enough yet.
Update on ChronoSync:
While I was setting up ChronoSync on my brand new PowerBook I have remembered that if you add a sync document to the scheduler you will see a popup menu "Run Sync:" with six options: "After ChronoSync launches", "Before ChronoSync quits", "When a volume mounts", "Only once", "Daily", "Weekly". Of course, "Use background scheduler" must be enabled in the preferences for the scheduler to run.

There you have, it's all built in...

Forum Links
Forum Rules