Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 10.3.8 reports

10.3.8 reports
iomatic
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 01:39 PM

Well. I seem to be the one in this forum putting this up all the time, so�

report away.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2005, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by iomatic:
Well. I seem to be the one in this forum putting this up all the time, so�

report away.
Plenty of people reporting over in the OS X forum:

http://forums.macnn.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=90

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2005, 01:58 PM

Got a kernal panic today (installed it yesterday). After I restarted I repaired permissions, ran some script, and optimized system via Onyx and all is well now. It was weird, the same mouse problem I had on my external poped up on my PB LCD...hmmmmmmm.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2005, 02:14 PM

Your better off looking in the OSX forum, the Mods typically lock OSX threads in the PB or PM forums

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 06:29 PM

Well, if they want to lock, that's fine. This was created more for PowerBook-specific issues, etc., like heat, fan noise, etc., so one needn't weed through "my iMac DV is gurgling�" etc. threads that are the norm in there. Use this if you want, but I'll add my US$.02 (non-refundable):

No problems whatsoever, Call of Duty, fan noise seems about the same. Apps run relatively smoothly.

12", 1.33 GHz, 80GB HD 5400RPM, 1.25GB RAM

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 06:31 PM

Installed the update on a TiBook 800 MHz and a TiBook 1 GHz. No problems to report.

omarv
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2005, 02:36 AM

installed the update, now when I wake from sleep I have lost the ability for keyboard and mouse to work, only thing I can do is hold the power button down on my 12" PB and force it to shut down. After this it works. Problem is intermittent, maybe 2 out of 4 times. But never happened before this update. Occam's razor says it's the update.
( Last edited by omarv; Feb 11, 2005 at 09:18 AM. )

Ω
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2005, 04:15 AM

[spelling Nazi]It's actually Occam's Razor, named after William of Ockham.

(google makes me smart ) [/spelling Nazi]

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2005, 11:41 AM

Upgraded yesterday, so far so good.
I gotta have more cowbell.

Beerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by MRTrauffer:
Upgraded yesterday, so far so good.
Upgraded 12" and 17" yesterday, no issues to report.

cobra7869
Feb 11, 2005, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
Got a kernal panic today (installed it yesterday). After I restarted I repaired permissions, ran some script, and optimized system via Onyx and all is well now. It was weird, the same mouse problem I had on my external poped up on my PB LCD...hmmmmmmm.
12" 867 Rev A and I experienced the same exact thing. After several attempts and thinking I was going to have to restore, I stuck in the CD and then it finally completed logging in, which then took several minutes. I repaired file permissions and I must say has been running great ever since.
PowerBook G4 (12-inch): (Rev A) Current Mac
Original iPod, 15GB 3rd Gen, Two iPod Minis (Silver and Pink(for the wife))

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2005, 02:31 AM

15" Rev A Albook here. No problems with the update, but I did have some permissions errors. Checked permissions before update, no problems. After update, there were a few that needed to be repaired. So it's not just a myth that you should check permissions before & after!

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2005, 03:01 AM

No problems here. I did find that memory usage is up - ie there tends to be less "free" memory but Mail for me now connects more quickly and junk mail used to get only earased until I restarted the program- despite my setting to clear junk after 24 hrs. Now mail seems to clear it as per its 24 hr setting. decent update IMO
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2005, 09:45 AM

Updated my main 12" rev B 1 GHz PowerBook. Everything is fine.

� Black-screen-after-wake-from-sleep bug is gone
� No-mouse-pointer-after-wake-from-sleep bug is still there.

-> http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2005, 11:55 AM

Two problems to report (one may be a 'feature'):

(1) Outputting a TV signal now seems to shut off the powerbook's screen.

(2) I used to have a bizarre problem whereby my system would hang for a few moments when it was very busy - several processor-hungry apps running at once - then iChat would launch itself. This was solved by 10.3.6. It's back with 10.3.8.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2005, 09:30 PM

10.3.8 was definitely a negative on my revA PB17

I've now experienced the 'lost keyboard' bug this morning, and I just now experienced the 'No-mouse-pointer-after-wake-from-sleep bug.' And this is AFTER I ran a full diskwarrior, etc., cleanup on my machine.

I also had this update completely mess up my network printing settings to my hp color laser printer; had to reset and reinstall the driver to get it printing.

Worst update for me since 10.2.5 and the usb hubs kernel panics...

Orion27
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2005, 09:48 PM

This has been the best update so far. Installed it immediately on my
AL 1.25 15" PB. I admit I am a fastidious housekeeper and no third party hacks. I network across a WIN 2000 LAN. I have an ethernet DSL connection through the network. I came into work the next morning after the upgrade and plugged right in. this upgrade has been fast and bug free for me. Same on my DP MDD PM.

RonnieoftheRose
Feb 14, 2005, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by SEkker:
10.3.8 was definitely a negative on my revA PB17

I've now experienced the 'lost keyboard' bug this morning
The lost keyboard bug is happening to those who are playing around with the scrolling touchpad hacks that are flying around. I already warned about this elsewhere in the PowerBook forum before 10.3.8 came out. Is there someone who hasn't touched the hack who can confirm they have the bug?

zzarg
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2005, 11:39 PM

Rev.A 12" - worked fine.
If anything I've noticed the fan not kicking in as often and although it still runs like a little toaster it's not been having any bad side effects.
All in all I'd say it's more stable... far fewer beachballs than with 10.3.7 doing exactly the same sort of stuff.
I'm not a permissions nazi but I think I remembered after this one (it was a couple of days ago) but... have to wonder why if it's *so* important to do it before and after an update... why doesn't the updater do it for me (and make me a cup of coffee while I'm waiting !)

hawiken
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2005, 02:57 AM

>The lost keyboard bug is happening to those who are playing around with the scrolling touchpad hacks that are flying around.<

Are you talking about uControl or Side Track? I'm slightly addicted to uControl....

Thanks,
Ken

Altair
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2005, 03:11 AM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
The lost keyboard bug is happening to those who are playing around with the scrolling touchpad hacks that are flying around. I already warned about this elsewhere in the PowerBook forum before 10.3.8 came out. Is there someone who hasn't touched the hack who can confirm they have the bug?
I haven't used the hack nor any scrolling program and I am experiencing this problem. They may however be related to a probably updated mouse driver that probably wasn't fully tested on the early 12" powerbooks. Is there anybody with this problem that doesn't have a 12"?
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 01:12 PM

No noticeable problems, BT Keyboard and MacMice BT mouse.

No perceivable performance gains either

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2005, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
I have not used the hack or installed sidetrack myself.

I re-fixed permissions and I have not seen the problem return - yet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules