Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Upgrade my RevA 17" PB to a Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac or RevD PB?

Upgrade my RevA 17" PB to a Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac or RevD PB?
HelloNateR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2005, 06:31 PM

After being one of the first to get a RevA 17" PowerBook, 1GHz, with 1GB of RAM, I'm ready for a computer upgrade.

I'm torn between two options, and two main benefits--performance vs. portability.

Here's what I'm thinking about:

17" PowerBook $3473.00
� 2GB DDR333 SDRAM - 2 SO-DIMMs
� 100GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400rpm
� 8x SuperDrive (DVD�RW/CD-RW)
� AirPort Extreme Card
� Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
� AppleCare Protection Plan for PowerBook (w/ or w/o Display)
� 1.67GHz PowerPC G4
� ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128MB DDR)
� 17-inch TFT Display
Subtotal $3,473.00

Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 w/20" ACD - $3323
� 2GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 4x512
� Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
� 250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
� ATI Radeon 9650 w/256MB DDR SDRAM
� Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)
� Bluetooth Module + AirPort Extreme Card
� 16x SuperDrive double-layer (DVD+R DL/DVD�RW/CD-RW)
� Bluetooth Module + Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse - U.S. English
� Mac OS X - U.S. English
� AppleCare Protection Plan for Power Mac (w/ or w/o Display)
Subtotal $3,323.00

Also, is there a huge difference between the Dual 2.0, 2.3 and 2.7GHz speeds that might be worth the extra $$?

Decisions, decisions.

I'm so used to being able to take my computer with me that it would be difficult for me to part with the portability. However, the amount of travelling I do has decreased dramatically. And, with the 1.67GHz G4 to the Dual 2.0GHz G5, it seems like the perfomance gain might be worth it.

I do a lot of graphic design with Adobe Photoshop, NON-HD video editing, and Audio Production (DigiDesign ProTools, Logic, etc.).

What would you do in my shoes?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2005, 01:57 AM

I think you better first decide whether or not you want to stay with a portable machine or go with a desktop. That's not something someone else can help you with.

Then the choices become easier.

As for significant speed differences between desktop machines, I doubt there is much real-world difference between the 2.0 and the 2.3. The difference between the 2.0 and 2.7 will be noticeable, but so will the difference in cost.

macintologist
Professional Poster
May 8, 2005, 10:15 AM

The thing is, isn't the 17" PB not so "portable"?

If I were in your shoes, I'd go with the G5

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2005, 02:45 PM

Low/middle range G5+12" PowerBook.
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2005, 04:08 PM

Do you have to sell your revA PB17? That machine is still a worthy computer, especially if you are going to make it your second machine.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by SEkker
Do you have to sell your revA PB17? That machine is still a worthy computer, especially if you are going to make it your second machine.
I agree. Save up and buy the PowerMac and keep your PowerBook for the mobile part.

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 9, 2005, 02:58 PM

either keep your machine and get a g5 to compliment it..or get a g5 and a 12" pb or ib to to maintain some sort of portability. i have a 12" rev b and a 20" screen, next machine is gonna have to be a g5 tower dually low model, we'll see what happens in the next revision.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

HelloNateR  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2005, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Actually, my wife has a RevA 12" PowerBook that I could set myself up on with a new user account to do what I need to do away from the desktop. What do you think of that?

The only thing is, she only has the stock 256MB of RAM, and it looks like I can only put another 512MB in there, minus 128.

Anyway, with that said, I'm thinking of the PowerMac route...now the only decision is which one...Dual 2.0 or Dual 2.3.

macintologist
Professional Poster
May 10, 2005, 06:19 AM

HelloNateR,

Her 12in PB has 128MB on the motherboard and then an extra 128MB chip, giving you 256MB.

You can replace the second 128 chip with a 1gig chip.

I have the RevA 12incher. It's a great little machine. Maybe you don't travel a lot between different continents, but if you did, you'd appreciate the fact that the Rev A 12incher is compatible with the RPC1 hack, in other words, you can switch DVD regions an infinite number of times. Where I live, about half the DVDs you buy are region 1 and the other half are region 2. My friends who have Rev-D Powerbooks are jealous of me for that reason, even though mine is only 867MHz and theirs are 1.5Ghz

HelloNateR  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2005, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist
HelloNateR,

Her 12in PB has 128MB on the motherboard and then an extra 128MB chip, giving you 256MB.

You can replace the second 128 chip with a 1gig chip.

I have the RevA 12incher. It's a great little machine. Maybe you don't travel a lot between different continents, but if you did, you'd appreciate the fact that the Rev A 12incher is compatible with the RPC1 hack, in other words, you can switch DVD regions an infinite number of times. Where I live, about half the DVDs you buy are region 1 and the other half are region 2. My friends who have Rev-D Powerbooks are jealous of me for that reason, even though mine is only 867MHz and theirs are 1.5Ghz
So a 1 GB RAM chip will work on the Rev A 12"? That's excellent!! And thanks for the RPC1 tip--I've got it installed on my 17", too, which I love!

macintologist
Professional Poster
May 10, 2005, 10:27 AM

That's yet another reason to keep your current RevA 17" PB. You never know when you'll really need that feature. Let the Powermac G5 do all the hard crunching of data. Keep the Powerbook as a 2ndary computer for portability.

Forum Links
Forum Rules