Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What is my Powerbook worth?

What is my Powerbook worth?
tictactoe
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2005, 02:02 AM

I have a Rev D 15" PB with the following specs:

1.5ghz g4
1.5gb ram
80gig hd
Combo drive
Backlit keyboard and all that other jazz that comes with it

It's about 4 months old and it is in flawless condition (read: no scratches, dings, dents or dead pixels).

What would be a good selling price for it?

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2005, 02:26 AM

I would say around $1800+ since theres a Gig of RAM in it.
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

tictactoe  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2005, 11:54 AM

Can anyone else give me an estimate?

Thanks in advance

irus
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2005, 04:33 PM

Considering the same model can be purchased for $1700 if a buyer uses educational discount and $100 rebate, and the extra RAM is valued at $100, $1800 sounds reasonable. However, you have to keep in mind that most people would rather spend a little more and get a new machine with 12 full months of AppleCare, rather than a 5-month-old used one.

Therefore, anything in the 1600-1900 range is probably reasonable. Your selling price should be the maximum someone is willing to pay for it, and that will vary by the customer. To get the best price, either try auctining it off or start with a higher price and lower it by $25-50 every couple of days until someone buys it.

tictactoe  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by irus
Considering the same model can be purchased for $1700 if a buyer uses educational discount and $100 rebate, and the extra RAM is valued at $100, $1800 sounds reasonable. However, you have to keep in mind that most people would rather spend a little more and get a new machine with 12 full months of AppleCare, rather than a 5-month-old used one.

Therefore, anything in the 1600-1900 range is probably reasonable. Your selling price should be the maximum someone is willing to pay for it, and that will vary by the customer. To get the best price, either try auctining it off or start with a higher price and lower it by $25-50 every couple of days until someone buys it.
Thanks for the reply

sikkinixx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2005, 08:01 PM

i'd say about 20 bucks, so sell it to me

babyjenk5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2005, 09:50 PM

You could also try www.everymac.com for some rough estimates. Good luck!

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2005, 11:28 PM

1800-1900 seems fair to me.

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2005, 06:41 PM

Visit ebay and watch what auctions are closing for. Remember that anything too cheap is a fraudulent auction (nobody is selling them for $1200 no matter how nicely their ads are formatted) and the average things out over a few days. Or ask at Mac resellers. They know what the market will bear.

That having been said, I suspect that you would quickly sell the machine at $1500, and probably not at all at $1800. You will also get dinged on the Combo (rather than Super) Drive. That may make it sell a wee bit more slowly.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Forum Links
Forum Rules