Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > college?

View Poll Results: Which should I go to?
Poll Options:
New York University 10 votes (32.26%)
Boston College 7 votes (22.58%)
Boston University 7 votes (22.58%)
Texas Christian University 1 votes (3.23%)
Southern Methodist University 1 votes (3.23%)
University of Oklahoma 0 votes (0%)
Purdue University 5 votes (16.13%)
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll
college?
tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2005, 11:20 AM

I am having troubles deciding which college I should go to as a transfer student in the fall of 2006. I have noticed that this forum is I guess smarter or more up to beat than other forums I am a part of so i figured i would ask you. The choices I have are based on IF I DO get accepted next year, which shouldn't be a problem. Please choose a college and why. Thanks.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2005, 11:30 AM

There are so many variables I wouldn't know where to start. Some are great if you want a big city college with a mainstream vibe... others are great if religion is large part of your lifestyle... would you have a car? etc. etc. etc.

Also, the cost of living for many would be radically different... so if you would be scraping by... it may be harder to live in a place like Boston as compared to Oklahoma.

If it were me, I would try for Purdue University or Boston University.

tracemhunter  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2005, 11:39 AM

Well I want to live in a city. NYU is jumping out at me more than anything right now but my mom says that Boston is one of the best cities she has ever been to. SMU, TCU, and OU are just safety schools I know I can get into for sure.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2005, 11:42 AM

Rather than talk to an internet board, you would do better to talk to a good academic advisor. Preferably you should talk to one who understands the transfer process. That's what I did, and his advice probably changed my life (it certainly changed my career).

Also, make sure you know exactly what the different schools' policies are on transfer credit. Some have different policies for admissions to the university and admissions to the program. Some will also count some credit for admissions, but won't count it toward your degree. You presumably don't want to lose credit that you already took, but sometimes it is worth it. I ended up losing some credit when I transferred in order to get into a better school. The lower ranked schools on my list would have counted more toward the degree. It's an individual choice which is best, just make sure you make an informed one.

If it is just a choice of Boston versus New York, then you should visit both cities.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2005, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by tracemhunter
NYU is jumping out at me
If you go to NYU you will end up jumping off a high-rise.

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2005, 03:12 PM

Well, it really depends on your concentration/major - which has the better department in what you want to do. Not knowing I would say NYU or BC.

BU would be my vote for best location ever. My friend goes there and lives in a brownstone that got converted into a dorm. The building overlooks Kenmore square right near Fenway which may or may not mean anything to you [go BoSox!]. BC is a bit farther from the "heart of the city" but in a very nice and relaxed area with a very nice campus - you can easily get on "the T" and jump into town or even ride your bike. The two schools really are not that far apart. From what I know BC might be considered preppy - but its a good school. NYU is also very solid but I have no idea about the area/atmosphere - perhaps someone else could help you.
Change your world and you will change your mind.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2005, 03:14 PM

Not OU...my word, don't even consider it!

phillryu
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2005, 03:54 PM

Screw them, transfer to Dartmouth

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

OreoCookie
Sep 17, 2005, 03:58 PM

I am having troubles deciding which college I should go to as a transfer student in the fall of 2006. I have noticed that this forum is I guess smarter or more up to beat than other forums I am a part of so i figured i would ask you. The choices I have are based on IF I DO get accepted next year, which shouldn't be a problem. Please choose a college and why. Thanks.
Maybe if you give us an idea what exactly you're studying … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2005, 04:03 PM

when you are at university it doesn't matter what you are studying, all that matters is that you learn how to consume large ammounts of beer and liquor and you also have to master the art of cardiovascular exercise to make up for the many pizzas and donner kebabs that you eat. this is more important to employers than what you've studied.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2005, 04:11 PM

it depends on what the female/male ratio is

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2005, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by nredman
it depends on what the female/male ratio is
...as well as, the bar/professor ratio is.

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2005, 04:43 PM

i have heard that SMU has the best-looking girls around...

tracemhunter  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2005, 04:52 PM

Oh sorry. I am studying finance. SMU does have some hot girls but they are high maintance. SMU is in Highland Park, the wealthy area of Dallas. From what I read on collegeprowler.com, NYU is in need of some straight fit guys, so I should not have a problem there. Much of my family went to OU, and TCU was rated #1 in having the hottest girls and it is only 15 minutes away from where i live. I decided to cross out purdue because of the 5:2 male to female ratio. Nobody likes a sausagefest. Why do you say I will jump off a high rise if I go to NYU, Kerrigan? And no, I cannot get into Dartmouth.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2005, 05:51 PM

I'm at BU.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

tracemhunter  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2005, 08:19 PM

do you like the campus deathtowindows? how are the girls? do the professors speak english well...?

Cold Warrior
Sep 17, 2005, 09:13 PM

Also consider cost of living. If you don't have the funds, or are taking a lot of student loans, that will come back to haunt you as you struggle to pay after graduation (unless you serve 3 years in the army, who will pay off just about any amount of student loans).

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2005, 09:59 PM

NYS is pretty cool.. thats where I am...

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2005, 10:08 PM

I notice that you have several colleges there with religious affiliations: Boston College, Texas Christian University, and Southern Methodist University. Is it important to you that your college be affiliated with a certain religion?

If you want to live in a city, then what can you afford? Boston is quite possibly the best college town around. I'd probably recommend BU over BC unless BC's religious affiliation is important to you, since my wife went to BU for her graduate work, but the cost of living is apparently even higher than it is in NYC right now.

Be wary of serving in the military. I'm not talking about the current political situation; that may or may not be an issue for you, but it's beyond the scope of this discussion. The real issue I want to bring up is that the military can have a nasty habit of finding ways to keep people in beyond the term they thought they'd signed up to serve. If you do go this route, read your contract very carefully.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

tracemhunter  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2005, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
I notice that you have several colleges there with religious affiliations: Boston College, Texas Christian University, and Southern Methodist University. Is it important to you that your college be affiliated with a certain religion?

If you want to live in a city, then what can you afford? Boston is quite possibly the best college town around. I'd probably recommend BU over BC unless BC's religious affiliation is important to you, since my wife went to BU for her graduate work, but the cost of living is apparently even higher than it is in NYC right now.

Be wary of serving in the military. I'm not talking about the current political situation; that may or may not be an issue for you, but it's beyond the scope of this discussion. The real issue I want to bring up is that the military can have a nasty habit of finding ways to keep people in beyond the term they thought they'd signed up to serve. If you do go this route, read your contract very carefully.
No, religion is not important to me. I am actually agnostic. The schools are good nonetheless though. I will not go into the army because money isnt that much of a problem (I have two millionaire grandmothers).

Cold Warrior
Sep 17, 2005, 10:53 PM

I the military can have a nasty habit of finding ways to keep people in beyond the term they thought they'd signed up to serve. If you do go this route, read your contract very carefully.
Stop-loss is the way they can temporarily extend someone. If you're due to leave service in 4 months, but they need to deploy your unit in 2 months for a 12-month tour, they will prevent you from leaving. It can be case-by-case if there are compelling reasons, but by and large you are involuntarily extended until stop-loss is lifted (usually within 90 days of returning from a deployment).

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2005, 10:54 PM

the military can have a nasty habit of finding ways to keep people in beyond the term they thought they'd signed up to serve.
Only if the people signing up are idiots who don't listen when the recruiter explains that you are signing up for an 8 year commitment. In my experience, that is quite carefully explained.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2005, 10:57 PM

come on...nyu is the choice...where are you now?

it is a world city, and the hub of everything. it is a life changing experience and i did it back in the dark days of the 80's. now it's safer than it's ever been...

and it's new york city man.

Cold Warrior
Sep 17, 2005, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey
Only if the people signing up are idiots who don't listen when the recruiter explains that you are signing up for an 8 year commitment. In my experience, that is quite carefully explained.
From mine as well. I have almost never seen an individual be recalled from an inactive (not active, guard, or reserve) status. They almost always let you ride out the rest of your 8-year commitment as a civilian if you choose to do so.

tracemhunter  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2005, 11:00 PM

yea it sounds cool there. i have never been to the northeast US but i feel it will be a good experience for me. btw, i am in dallas right and have lived throughout texas and oklahoma all my life.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2005, 11:26 PM

(I have two millionaire grandmothers).
Lesbian grandmothers? Awesome!

tracemhunter  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2005, 11:27 PM

lol no my grandfather sold his tempered glass company in the 80s and then he died so my grandmother got what he got. the other has investments.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2005, 12:06 PM

Boston College... Its not a college and its not in boston. Gotta love it.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Forum Links
Forum Rules