Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is Apple still shipping Powerbook 15"?

Is Apple still shipping Powerbook 15"?
jchaw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 07:31 PM

Hi.

I ordered my BTO Powerbook 15" 1.25 via the ADC programme on 8th October 2003. I received it on 24th October 2003.

The screen had a scratch and Apple sales support graciously offered to replace it. So within 2 hours of receiving my beautiful machine, it was on its way back to Apple(CA).

Sales support gave me an order number and told me the replacement machine will ship within a few days.

But it never occurred. Out of curiousity, I checked the orderstatus for the new order number and it quoted 4th November 2003.

Today is 4th November 2003 and the machine did not ship.

I called ADC's hardware purchase programme office.

A nice person answered the phone, checked the status, and informed me that it will probably not ship for another 2 weeks.

According to him, Apple is not shipping any Powerbook 15" at the moment.

He also mentioned that there's no official word on the reason other than backlog issues. Having said that, he also alluded to the fact that the long-delay is due to LCD problems for the Powerbook 15".

So I am sitting in my office wondering. Is anyone else in my predicament? Is it true that Apple have temporarily stopped shipping Powerbook 15" machines? Have they fixed the quality problems for the Powerbook 15"

The Powerbook 15" will be my first Macintosh and I am disappointed by the buying experience.

P.S. By the way, I was in my campus computer store(UT-Austin) yesterday, and they had a beautiful Powerbook 15" on display. That machine had a "flawless" screen, the latch was working well, and the latch gap is evenly spaced.

[JASON@CHAW]

krux`
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2003, 07:41 PM

It is true that they are backed up for the moment, however for good reason i assume. As far as the person you talked to on the phone, most of those people dont know more than the average consumer and those who do arnt allowed to say more than permitted by their employer so what they say may be what they want you to hear. In any case the reason is irrelevent, and my powerbook was ordered 2 days ago and has a delay till 11/25 which is fine with me, just got my new 20gb ipod so im not needing my powerbook just yet

Saleo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 07:53 PM

Just to let ya know. I ordered mine on OCT 11TH and it was supposed to ship today.
Just recieved this e-mail from apple.

appreciate your recent purchase from the Apple Store. / Merci pour
votre achat r�cent sur le Apple Store **********.

Due to an unexpected delay, we now anticipate shipping the following
item(s) as follows / D� � un d�lai non-anticip�, nous sommes forc�s de
reporter l'exp�dition de votre commande ainsi:

M8981LL/A, PBG4 15"/1.25GHZ/512/80/SD/APX/BT-USA
will now ship on or before / sera exp�di� au plus tard le
11/28/2003

So mines been delayed until Novemeber 28TH. This is my first Apple purchase and as a switcher I can't say I'm to impressed. I've NEVER waited this long to recieve a product I've ordered and I'm quite pissed off about the whole thing.

MacsGalor
Senior User
Nov 4, 2003, 08:59 PM

Sorry to those of you whose first Mac purchase was not a pleasant one. I had to send mine in for repair and am now just waiting, but please don't let one bad encounter spoil your views. The ALBook 15" had some problems that Apple is correcting and that might slow things down a bit, but be glad when you get it then it will be great. I have made several purchases from Apple and put a lot of money into their stuff and this is the first time that I have had a problem. Yeah I am a bit disappointed but I'm not mad. Sometimes you have to wait a little longer for a superior product. Good luck and welcome to the Mac community.

Sakino
Senior User
Nov 4, 2003, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by jchaw:
Hi.

I ordered my BTO Powerbook 15" 1.25 via the ADC programme on 8th October 2003. I received it on 24th October 2003.

The screen had a scratch and Apple sales support graciously offered to replace it. So within 2 hours of receiving my beautiful machine, it was on its way back to Apple(CA).

Sales support gave me an order number and told me the replacement machine will ship within a few days.

But it never occurred. Out of curiousity, I checked the orderstatus for the new order number and it quoted 4th November 2003.

Today is 4th November 2003 and the machine did not ship.

I called ADC's hardware purchase programme office.

A nice person answered the phone, checked the status, and informed me that it will probably not ship for another 2 weeks.

According to him, Apple is not shipping any Powerbook 15" at the moment.

He also mentioned that there's no official word on the reason other than backlog issues. Having said that, he also alluded to the fact that the long-delay is due to LCD problems for the Powerbook 15".

So I am sitting in my office wondering. Is anyone else in my predicament? Is it true that Apple have temporarily stopped shipping Powerbook 15" machines? Have they fixed the quality problems for the Powerbook 15"

The Powerbook 15" will be my first Macintosh and I am disappointed by the buying experience.

P.S. By the way, I was in my campus computer store(UT-Austin) yesterday, and they had a beautiful Powerbook 15" on display. That machine had a "flawless" screen, the latch was working well, and the latch gap is evenly spaced.

[JASON@CHAW]
Ohh how about doing this 2 times? And there probably will be a 3 for me also. Now I need to wait 2 weeks for my next powerbook to be sent out.

Augie50
Nov 4, 2003, 09:17 PM

Think about how many 15" refurbs Apple is going to have to get rid of in the next two months!! Hopefully they'll have so many that the price will be low enough that I can afford one.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2003, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by Saleo:
Just to let ya know. I ordered mine on OCT 11TH and it was supposed to ship today.
Just recieved this e-mail from apple.

appreciate your recent purchase from the Apple Store. / Merci pour
votre achat r�cent sur le Apple Store **********.

Due to an unexpected delay, we now anticipate shipping the following
item(s) as follows / D� � un d�lai non-anticip�, nous sommes forc�s de
reporter l'exp�dition de votre commande ainsi:

M8981LL/A, PBG4 15"/1.25GHZ/512/80/SD/APX/BT-USA
will now ship on or before / sera exp�di� au plus tard le
11/28/2003

So mines been delayed until Novemeber 28TH. This is my first Apple purchase and as a switcher I can't say I'm to impressed. I've NEVER waited this long to recieve a product I've ordered and I'm quite pissed off about the whole thing.
Though perhaps with this delay you will get a flawless product. I know the wait sucks but they are working on fixing it.

Jazzphone
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2003, 10:04 PM

Yeah I ordered mine on Sunday Night, November 2nd, Apple Store says that it wont ship till the 25th. But heh i figure if I get a laptop that will work without whitespots, it is worth the wait. But im a very impatient person, what really stinks though is that I needed it by the 25th. O well it could still ship earlier.

Saleo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by Jazzphone:
Yeah I ordered mine on Sunday Night, November 2nd, Apple Store says that it wont ship till the 25th. But heh i figure if I get a laptop that will work without whitespots, it is worth the wait. But im a very impatient person, what really stinks though is that I needed it by the 25th. O well it could still ship earlier.
See...that's what I don't understand. I ordered a stock 15" on OCT 11TH. But I've seen and heard of people ordering the same after me and recieving earlier ship dates and in some cases actually already recieving their PB's.
Is it because i'm a Canadian or what?

Jazzphone
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2003, 08:29 PM

WOW Apple Shipped my PowerBook today, 20 days early. Thats really saweet. Hopeffuly it works great.

krux`
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2003, 11:24 PM

It ALL depends on what you order with your powerbook. Originally i ordered the 80GB 5200 drive but then reordered with 4200 80gb and it dropped more than a month. Those who get it shipped right away are probably stock 1GHZ ones, i have the superdrive one without the superdrive just for the backlit keyboard and im assuming thats the reason for the delay. One thing is for certain and that is what you order with it decides the delay

deharlow
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2003, 11:57 PM

It looks like mine will not be shipped till next year and so I will probably have to cancel it as I needed it this year for budget and tax reasons.

Daniel

justinhale
Nov 6, 2003, 12:17 AM

ha, be glad you didn't place an order for the first generation 17" books, waited about 2-3 months, after i placed the order.

Forum Links
Forum Rules