Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ever heard of a mother not letting her son buy a sword?

View Poll Results: Have you heard of a 16 year old boy who wasn't allowed to buy a sword?
Poll Options:
Yes. 46 votes (80.70%)
No. 11 votes (19.30%)
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll
Ever heard of a mother not letting her son buy a sword?
macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2006, 09:22 PM

I have a rather strange problem. I'm a 16 year old guy who wants to buy a Katana just for fun, cause I think they're cool.

My mom, having a backround of war and stuff, says I can't get one. My question is, have you ever heard of (by name or in person) a 16 year old boy who was "forbidden" to buy a sword? Not counting me.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2006, 09:24 PM

Are you 18 yet? No? Case closed.

Moving on…

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2006, 09:28 PM

Yeah, sorry dude. Mom's house, Mom's rules.

I remember 16....a long long time ago..
Joe

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
My question is, have you ever heard of (by name or in person) a 16 year old boy who was "forbidden" to buy a sword? Not counting me.
Yep. Every 16 year old in the UK.

Stop whining and go slobber on some unsuspecting young filly instead.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2006, 09:29 PM

My parents very actively discouraged any sort of military or weaponry toys. I'm quite certain I wouldn't have been allowed a "real" katana.

Atomic Rooster
Dec 19, 2006, 09:38 PM

Hella...I had a machete when I was fourteen.

Jason V.
( Last edited by Atomic Rooster; Dec 19, 2006 at 11:05 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2006, 09:49 PM

I've never heard of anyone who wants to buy a sword ( or who has the money).

Edit: Oh, your sixteen. Listen to your mom. I'm sixteen too. If mom isn't happy, nobody is happy.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2006, 09:50 PM

Being that I own three, no way in hell I'd let a 16 year old buy one because its 'cool'. That right there shows a lack of respect for a weapon. If you don't know what you are doing you can loose a limb EASY. You can get hurt cleaning them if you aren't careful. You do NOT want to go swinging it around like an audition for the latest Samurai flick. It's a dangerous weapon and should be respected as such.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 09:57 PM

you'll shoot your eye out

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Being that I own three, no way in hell I'd let a 16 year old buy one because its 'cool'. That right there shows a lack of respect for a weapon. If you don't know what you are doing you can loose a limb EASY. You can get hurt cleaning them if you aren't careful. You do NOT want to go swinging it around like an audition for the latest Samurai flick. It's a dangerous weapon and should be respected as such.
How on earth can you "lose a limb" easy?

To lose a limb, you have to swing the sword with the intention of cutting off a limb.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2006, 10:10 PM

It is a weapon and deserves the same respect that a hand gun, hunting rifle, bow and arrow..etc. deserves.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be too difficult to take off an ear or a nice chunk of scalp or leg if you are inexperienced and it is truly razor sharp.
( Last edited by powerbook867; Dec 19, 2006 at 10:17 PM. )
Joe

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 10:10 PM

To lose a limb, you have to swing the sword with the intention of cutting off a limb.
Uh…no. You just have to swing it with enough force in the direction of a limb.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 19, 2006, 10:16 PM

I think he is thinking of those FAKE swords. "collectable"

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2006, 10:23 PM

No, not really. I'd give you the link to the one i'm talking about but they only have 30 left and I don't want you guys buying them out before I do.

It's a Hand forged Razor sharp samurai Katana.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 19, 2006, 10:24 PM

I don't want you guys buying them out before I do.
Don't think you'll have to worry about that.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2006, 10:25 PM

LOL...Thanks Kevin.. After a long day at work, I needed a laugh.

+1 for the young filly comment. That'll relieve a bunch of bottled up tension to..
Joe

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2006, 10:58 PM

Seriously guys. Do you think a sword is that dangerous? I'm not an idiot. I just want it because it looks amazing and so that I can say I have a real sword.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 11:04 PM

I was with you until you said a sword can't cut something unless you intend for it to cut something. A sword is pretty dangerous — heck, wars used to be fought with them — and there is a minimum level of responsibility you should have before owning one.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Atomic Rooster
Dec 19, 2006, 11:09 PM

Heck, think of the fun he'd have with pumpkins and watermelons. Then move up to the neighbours cat and then....

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2006, 11:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e77oXjFkIs

You're a moron. Listen to your mom.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 11:43 PM

Visnaut
Senior User
Dec 19, 2006, 11:47 PM

Them's the breaks, son.

Guess what? I didn't get everything that I thought was cool when I was a punk. Shocked? Don't be. You'll thank your parents in a few years, trust me.

And if you don't outgrow your fascination, you'll move out of the house eventually and buy it yourself. powerbook867 is dead on: it's your mom's house, she has the final say. She pays for your food, for the roof over your head, and probably for your schooling, and I'm pretty sure you don't pay rent. Live with it, they're such short, fleeting years anyway.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2006, 12:27 AM

My mom doesn't want me to have it because she doesn't like weapons, not because she thinks i'll get hurt.

She's just being unfair and cruel. All it's gonna do is sit in it's sheath in it's box, safely, except for the times when I bring it out to drool over it. I want it as more of a collector thing, not a tool or a weapon.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2006, 12:31 AM

She's just being unfair and cruel.

Life goes on.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2006, 12:32 AM

yeah, save your money for a computer... please

please don't just get something because it is cool. That is what I have a closet full of stuff at home filled with to remind me not to spend money on my child for stupid crap.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2006, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nebagakid View Post
yeah, save your money for a computer... please

please don't just get something because it is cool. That is what I have a closet full of stuff at home filled with to remind me not to spend money on my child for stupid crap.
what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

cause no one has closets full of computers.

save your money for chicks and booze

climber
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2006, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e77oXjFkIs

You're a moron. Listen to your mom.
Here is an even better video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTVbqZ7xEIE&NR

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2006, 01:37 AM

I really thought you guys would help me out. Because of you i'm gonna have to settle for dull factory made replicas of japanese swords instead of hand forged razor sharp ones. My mom said I could get ones with dull blades.... What does she think I am a moron?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2006, 02:10 AM

No. She might however be concerned for your safety. For all the reasons stated above she has the final word.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Dec 20, 2006, 02:51 AM

What does she think I am a moron?
Well, she has known you for 16 years...

My mom doesn't want me to have it because she doesn't like weapons, not because she thinks i'll get hurt.
My mom said I could get ones with dull blades.
Just wait until you're 18. Then at least the emergency room visit will cost you and not your mom an arm and a leg.

(couldn't resist the pun...sorry )

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2006, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
No. She might however be concerned for your safety. For all the reasons stated above she has the final word.
Exactly. He has proven my point to the letter. The lack of respect for it as a weapon, is the first sign you are not ready to own one.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2006, 04:57 AM

It's her house. If she doesn't like weapons there won't be weapons. When you are 18 you can move out and get your sword. Hopefully you will have gained some maturity by then.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2006, 06:01 AM

I can understand why a 16 year old would want one, my hands are covered in scars from doing stupid things with sharp knives when I was young.

Now I just hit people with bricks, its cheaper.

OreoCookie
Dec 20, 2006, 07:02 AM

It's a Hand forged Razor sharp samurai Katana.
A real sword is as dangerous as a gun and hence it's a good thing parents have a say in this. If it's a real katana, I doubt you'll be able to afford it anytime soon (these are at least two orders of magnitude more expensive (900,000 Yen is roughly $9,000) than what you are probably thinking of).

I don't know of any martial art that allows adepts to wield real swords, Iaido for instance uses blunt swords, many others practice with wooden swords (bokutô) or swords made of bamboo (shinai).

If you want to put it on the wall and keep it just for the looks, go for one without a sharp blade. I'm sure this will be a viable compromise with your parents and looks just as cool (if that's what you are concerned about). Even if you buy a `katana' with a real blade, it won't be a real katana (hence, no bragging rights). Take a look at the link above to check out some viable alternatives.
Seriously guys. Do you think a sword is that dangerous? I'm not an idiot. I just want it because it looks amazing and so that I can say I have a real sword.
Yes, by saying this, you have proven you are not mature enough to own a real sword (i. e. one with a sharp blade). As others have pointed out, it's a danger toward others and yourself -- about as dangerous as a permanently loaded gun.

Just to give you an idea what a katana can do: ballistics gel has about the same physical properties as human flesh. If you think that bones can stop it, think again. I hope you don't see these videos as another proof `why katanas are cool', but rather why you should only have one after years of proper training.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Dec 20, 2006 at 07:16 AM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2006, 07:32 AM

You want it "because it's cool?" And only a real, sharp blade capable of hurting someone is "cool" enough? That right there says you're not ready for a sword.

Props to your mom.

Oh yeah, and have I ever heard of a mother not letting her son buy a sword? Yes, now I have.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2006, 08:51 AM

Whether you think it's fair is irrelevant. As others have pointed out, it's her house and her rules. If she doesn't want weapons in the house she has every right to deny your request.

I also agree with the others that your wanting one "because they are cool" shows irresponsibility on your part.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2006, 09:17 AM

"You'll shoot your eye out!"

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
you'll shoot your eye out

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
"You'll shoot your eye out!"

orly?

Yose
Senior User
Dec 20, 2006, 10:15 AM

No, I've never heard of a mother telling her son not to buy a sword. Because I've never seen a boy appeal to an online forum about what he thinks his momma should've done. But maybe I'm the exception.

Why don't you go to one of those places that trains you to use a sword like that, but also educates you to the culture around it. Show some dedication and respect towards it and I bet your mother would have a different opinion.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
orly?
You win.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2006, 10:21 AM

I had a .22 when I was 8, but mom's rules on safety override everything - so do what she says. Besides, you'll gouge your eye out kid.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Y3a
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2006, 10:37 AM

You should be allowed to OWN ONE!.. You shouldn't get to TOUCH IT until you are 25 or so and have grown up. I think you should first give yourself a nasty cut with an Xacto knife and a sharp #11 blade just as a sample of the damage you can do to yourself and others. What a stupid thing to want! A Complete waste of money.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2006, 10:39 AM

I have yet to see someone want something Y3a doesn't think is a waste of money.

hart
Senior User
Dec 20, 2006, 10:39 AM

this conversation sounds just like the one I've been having with my 8 year old about why he can't have a knife. The ... child's ... arguments are evidence in themselves as to why it's not a good idea.

For the same reason I don't have safety flares in my kayaking emergency kit. Just the proximity of something so cool would be irresistable for him

Sure I had a knife when I was 8 and I did a bunch of other dangerous stuff: my parents were insanely irresponsible as far as I'm concerned and I'm a pretty fun parent as far as dangerous activities go. I'm suprised I'm still alive.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by hart View Post
Sure I had a knife when I was 8 and I did a bunch of other dangerous stuff: my parents were insanely irresponsible as far as I'm concerned and I'm a pretty fun parent as far as dangerous activities go. I'm suprised I'm still alive.
My grandmother would bring back tons of Swiss Army knives from Switzerland. Within minutes there'd be a puddle of blood in my hand. This went on for years... memories..
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

marden
Baninated
Dec 20, 2006, 11:27 AM

I have a rather strange problem. I'm a 16 year old guy who wants to buy a Katana just for fun, cause I think they're cool.

My mom, having a backround of war and stuff, says I can't get one. My question is, have you ever heard of (by name or in person) a 16 year old boy who was "forbidden" to buy a sword? Not counting me.
When something REALLY bad happened we would ALL be talkin smack about how stupid you were but we would be saying WORSE things about your mom like she was a crappy mother, there is no way she was responsible, she was probably off smoking crack and screwing some drug dealer or was turning tricks for $2.00 a throw or some crap.

None of it would be true, of course. Your mom is an undoubtedly fine, loving and responsible person and a terrific parent.

But as posters we often jump to conclusions that do not take into account reality.

You have seen it yourself if you've spent any time here at all.

What you need to realize is that what happens here online is just a harmless version of what would REALLY happen if something happened.

Your mom would be recognized everywhere she went. People would point at her and shake their heads and say, "she's totally irresponsible and disgusting." "That woman is a disgrace! She can't control her kid." "How did anyone think she should be allowed to have a child?"

All because she loved you so much that she gave in to your request when maybe she shouldn't have.

And not that you would necessarily get in trouble with this weapon. When you showed it to your friends and one of them prevailed upon YOU to play with it and a mistake occurred...guess what?

Your MOM gets the blame!

Or when your friends tell their parents about your weapon or when word gets around at school about it, everyone will be saying how irresponsible your mom is. No one will want their kids to hang out with you or allow their kids to come over your house.

Someone might even call your mom or come by and talk with her about it.

And depending on what kind of person your mom is she MIGHT take offense at their telling her how to raise her child. Or she might be embarrassed to realize that those people are right and she shouldn't have given in to your request.

All of that crap she would have to go through.

And for what?

But maybe we are all wrong.

Perhaps you are mature enough to own and safeguard yourself and others from this weapon if it were in your care.

The men who used such weapons in war hundreds of years ago lived by a certain code and were prepared to die for that code.

What is the code that you live by?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2006, 11:34 AM

Merry Christmas, we got you a lecture.

marden
Baninated
Dec 20, 2006, 11:40 AM

Merry Christmas, we got you a lecture.
And as a note to the O.P.: The word is mightier than the katana.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2006, 11:46 AM

It's certainly capable of making him want to turn one on himself.

Ah, seppuku.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2006, 11:51 AM

I have yet to see someone want something Y3a doesn't think is a waste of money.
On the rag again I see...

Forum Links
Forum Rules