Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > powered mic in mac pro?

powered mic in mac pro?
someone
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2007, 06:42 PM

I'm having a rather silly problem -- a normal microphone doesn't seem to work when plugged into the mic in port of my mac pro. Is this unique to me? Someone told me that it needed to be a powered microphone (something I've never hard of) -- is this true?

thanks,
someone who loves Macs

silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2007, 08:02 PM

No idea, I use a USB mic that works well for Skype which is about all I use it for.
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server
15 inch Macbook Pro Unibody and Apple 24 inch LED Display.

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Jul 6, 2007, 08:32 PM

You will need a USB mic. The mic ports in Macs aren't powered, so you need something that is. Minor detail with large consequences

silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Biest View Post
You will need a USB mic. The mic ports in Macs aren't powered, so you need something that is. Minor detail with large consequences
Wow, I never knew that. I have also never seen a powered mic. Why do such a thing?
Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2ghz, 4gb ram, 4x 1 Terabyte hdd's, 8800GT, 30inch Samsung display running OSX Leopard Server

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2007, 10:24 PM

Well by powered we mean that there is electricity coming from the comp, else it doesn't work (explanation is a bit long winded). The input in macs isn't powered. Dunno why really, I am guessing either because of the optical out/in duality, but they aren't. Or apple, not surprising, thought that it was not worthwhile anyway... like they git ride of Floppy and PS/2 ports first....

$20 buys you what you need:

Newegg.com - Logitech 980186-0403 Silver USB Connector USB Desktop Microphone - Retail

someone  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2007, 03:05 PM

wait -- i'm sorry, then what IS the mic port used for?

what does a non-USB powered mic look like?
someone who loves Macs

Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2007, 07:20 PM

What i mean is that you can only use USB mics, there is no other option. I am guessing the port is for some other form of input. I am not too sure what it.

silverflyer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2007, 08:25 PM

It could be for audio (non mic) input.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2007, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by someone View Post
wait -- i'm sorry, then what IS the mic port used for?

what does a non-USB powered mic look like?
It's NOT a mic port, it's a line level in audio port as stated on Apple's techical specs page ( Apple - Mac Pro - Technical Specifications ). You can hook audio devices like stereos, TVs, CD players, etc. to the port and record the audio. Since your mic is not amplified, it doesn't work in a line level in port.

More info:

Line level - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Especially note this part "Acoustic sounds (such as voices or a musical instruments) are often recorded with transducers (microphones and pickups) that produce weak electrical signals. These signals must be amplified to line level, where they are more easily manipulated by other devices such as mixing consoles and tape recorders. Such amplification is performed by a device known as a preamplifier or "preamp"."
( Last edited by Leonard; Jul 12, 2007 at 11:00 AM. )
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules