Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl
sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2009, 11:26 PM

If you've got a Intel Mac that runs XP and a 128mb gfx card then consider this my official recommendation for playing STALKER. It's a terrifying blend of despair, heart-stopping firefights, pitch black secret facilities, and silence. Thoroughly entertaining and very challenging, if not downright hard.

I'll be brief. Sometimes you'll bleed to death from your wounds. You'll have to eat food to stay alive. The first two weapons you get are utter garbage and you'll need to employ the 'running like hell' tactic more than once. Invisible nuclear anomalies wait silently to shred your body in a vortex of air or electrocute you. Most of the mutant enemies you fight are either invisible, fast, deadly, or all of the above. Your gun will jam at the worst times.

I could talk it up a hell of lot more, but I'll leave the curious to inquire further on their own (bogues, this means you) and leave you with some screenshots I've been taking throughout the game.

Lightning illuminates everything. The speckled nature of my screen means I'm being irradiated.

This is a snork mutant, but in ghost-form he's quite harmless. In regular form, terrifying.

One of the few places to feel safe.

It's always stormy. Icons on the bottom left are 'artifacts' that you can equip for positive and negative effects.

Standard Eastern-European style.

Just about my favorite creature. Usually invisible, only it's corpse here is visible. Bloody impossible to kill too.

Bullets obey real physics, meaning that you'll have to 'lob' the shot if your target is at a distance. But don't worry about that, because you'll never get a sniper rifle anyways. You'll have to settle for an AR with a scope, pictured here.

Eerie guitar music and Russian banter set the mood.

Wreaking havoc on my nerves these last two weeks, it gets a solid 9/10.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 29, 2009, 12:50 PM

sek playing a survival horror game? No way!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2009, 05:10 AM

I think he just likes getting irradiated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules