Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Non postscript laser - with Macs...

Non postscript laser - with Macs...
firefly
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2003, 07:02 PM

I just got two colour laser printers from my school which deemed them to be dead and for the skip. Well, not really - after about 2 hours I got one running perfectly by swapping a few components. I'm really happy about this.

Unfortunately, the logic board is a budget version which does not have Postscript or PCL, but some other inferior protocol possibly called GDI (It's a Minolta-QMS Magicolor 2 Desklaser). It prints fine from my PC running XP over ethernet, but of course the Macs can't use it. What I'd like to do is add a second ethernet card to the PC, connect the laser directly, and 'share' the printer to the rest of the network with some sort of postscript interpreter. A piece of software which converts print requests from macs in the postscript language into one which is compatible with the laser, and then prints.

I don't know of any software which does this, though, and wondered if such a thing exists?

If not I guess I'll be upgrading to a CX board with PS support rather soon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules