Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook issue

iBook issue
leperkuhn
Senior User
Aug 26, 2003, 10:26 AM

I'm hoping the next iBook update will at least bump the minimum RAM to 256, if not 512. That should be standard on all Macs at this point.

Whether or not the most basic user absolutely needs it (which they probably do) it should be there at least to compete with the other laptops in the same catagory. HP's 4430 which is at Best Buy comes with a 40 gig HD, 512 MB ram, 802.11g, combo drive and it's $1100. When they get put side by side people are going to go by the numbers, which aren't entirely accurate, but nonetheless there.

Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2003, 01:02 PM

I agree, 128Mb with OS X is a pain.. I bet there's a bunch of people who bought standard conf. iBooks, experienced OS X with it and now think it sucks... Apple should have upgraded to 256Mb a loooooong time ago

But still... Atleast there's a slot free. It'd suck to buy it with the onboard 128 + another 128 in the slot. I'd be stuck with a 128. Ok, I could sell the bastard or trade it for a bag of nuts.

The 14" iBooks come with 128+128 at the moment, right?

The Dual USB is already two years old, so a replacement must be on the drawing boards. And they CAN NOT rely on 128Mb base ram on new models, IMO.

As for the rumors of dropping the iBook line.. I think it's a load of bull. They just need to get the the PBs more attractive... I for one would not spend my money on a 12" PB with a Cacheless 867MHz G4.

Oops, went a bit off-topic... Sorry.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2003, 03:22 PM

I don't know if it's THAT big of a deal. Most vendors offer free RAM with the purchase anyway. Of course there are usually rebates involved, but checking a site like www.macprices.com can help you find a good bargain.
My theory is that if you pay full price and don't get any sort of freebie, you're not a good shopper. There are so many different offers available there's no reason not to take one.

Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2003, 03:27 PM

The icebook was introduced 2 years ago ? And for how long did they have the color ibooks ? If they change completely the iBook line next year, I wonder how they can make it better ... without making a powerbook
S k y p a t

sniffer
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2003, 03:28 PM

I agree that more ram should have been the standard in the default package. I kind of doubt my mother would have known why she would have to buy extra ram in a brand new computer for instance.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

arclight
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2003, 06:27 PM

RAM has been an issue with Apple for a few years IMHO. They always ship machines with too little. OS X with a 128MB is SLOW. Hell, I have 640 in my ibook and there many things that it is dog slow at doing. If OS X is such a RAM hog then how come there is only 128 MB ona base system? Every single person I know that bought an ibook has bought RAM at the same time. That fact alone should be a no brainer that there is not enough RAM. I doubt it will change-
---------------------------------------

leperkuhn  (op)
Senior User
Aug 26, 2003, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by arclight:
RAM has been an issue with Apple for a few years IMHO. They always ship machines with too little. OS X with a 128MB is SLOW. Hell, I have 640 in my ibook and there many things that it is dog slow at doing. If OS X is such a RAM hog then how come there is only 128 MB ona base system? Every single person I know that bought an ibook has bought RAM at the same time. That fact alone should be a no brainer that there is not enough RAM. I doubt it will change-
I've been working at best buy the past few months. A lot of people are afraid to open up the computer, or even have someone else do it. I once recommended putting in more RAM into a decent model HP but the dude almost crapped his pants at the thought.

People also don't know very much about computers and have a hard time "thinking outside the box," something that comes very naturarlly to many of us here.

We are not one of the stores that sells macs yet. However they are available at bestbuy.com, and I have directed people there on several occasions. But it's very hard without a demo unit to show off iTunes, iPhoto, and other such advantages. Over the web, all you can see is the higher price point, slower clock speed, and dare I even suggest, not running windows xp home, the best OS in the world

Think about it.

MSME
Aug 26, 2003, 09:24 PM

A lot of people are afraid to open up the computer, or even have someone else do it
That's true. I didn't like opening my iBook to install more RAM, and I'm used to working on computers. There's just something about opening up a brand new machine that I didn't like.

Also, since the iBook is intended as a consumer laptop, it shouldd come ready to run OS X smoothly right out of the box. 128 mb really is unacceptable for a lot of people who want to run several apps at once under X.

A lot of 'switchers' may not know where the best deal is for free RAM, so they'll just buy from Apple or Best Buy, etc., and wonder why their new iBooks seem so slow.
Black MacBook C2D 2.0 Ghz, stock, Powerbook 15" 1Ghz (Al), iPhone 8 GB

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2003, 09:38 PM

I'm all for more RAM, but the more Apple puts in, the more the computer costs. And if they use the existing user slot it takes away choices from the user. So the only way I would support this is if the RAM is on the motherboard and it doesn't raise the price of the machine.

Chris

leperkuhn  (op)
Senior User
Aug 26, 2003, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
I'm all for more RAM, but the more Apple puts in, the more the computer costs. And if they use the existing user slot it takes away choices from the user. So the only way I would support this is if the RAM is on the motherboard and it doesn't raise the price of the machine.

Chris
I think the price is already high enough. Apple makes more profit on every unit sold than any manufacturer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules