Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The US Broadband Thread of "I can't believe these effers"

The US Broadband Thread of "I can't believe these effers" (Page 10)
P
May 28, 2019, 03:35 PM

Will you be very sad if I list my options?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 28, 2019, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Will you be very sad if I list my options?
Likely.

Do it.

P
May 28, 2019, 04:14 PM

At home in my apartment: 100/10 + VoIP "for free". This is because my co-op has a group deal with the local cable provider. It costs them approximately 200 SEK for this plus a super-basic TV deal (essentially the channels I could get for free over the air anyway, except from the cable so I don't have to rig an antenna). 200 SEK is just over $20 right now. It is usually less (the Swedish crown is dropping hard lately, for some reason), but there's taxes, so... call it $20 for comparison reasons.

Cable company also offers upgrade pricing for faster deals: 100 SEK more for 150/10, 200 SEK more for 300/10 and a cloud storage deal, 300 SEK more for 600/50 , and 600 SEK more for 1200/100.

DSL makes no sense at all because of that group deal, but it is 460 SEK for 60/20. The alternative without that would be to install fiber, which is an investment a lot of buildings like ours is making right now.

In the other house, we have installed fiber and currently get 100/10 for just under 300 SEK. That house is in an area where you can get part if the cost for installing fiber covered by the EU, so we did that.

Mobile broadband solutions are comparatively expensive, however, so not an option.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

OreoCookie
May 29, 2019, 01:17 AM

To make our American friends even more depressed after P's post: most new buildings in Japan come with Gigabit internet installed. Yup, you just get a RJ45 plug and a WLAN router. I cannot overemphasize how amazing this is. I had an Airport Express left over from our previous apartment, though, and that serves our wifis, and connects to my NAS (the built-in wifi router is pretty locked down, which is fair). The costs for that are included in the rent. Of course, we have to share our Gbit connection with our 5 neighbors. Because, you know, who doesn't want internet these days? A land line or TV cable cost extra, but since we are less than 60 years old, we have no need for either.

Before that we had 200 MBit via fiber for around $35/month. We could have had 1 Gbit for a bit more, but we thought 200 was enough. The first time I heard someone had symmetric 100 MBit internet in his home in Japan was 2004, though. Back then that cost about $100 per month.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

P
May 29, 2019, 04:15 AM

Any new house or apartment building in Sweden has a Cat6 network in the house, with a switching station in a cupboard somewhere. How you get the network up to that point is up to you and depends a bit on how the house was built, but any large developer is going to lay fiber. If there is a co-op for anything, the developer will usually start you off with a group deal for Internet access, TV and telephone. Everything goes over those Cat6 lines, the phones only using the 4 central pins (putting an RJ11 plug into an RJ45 outlet).

A lot of areas with free-lying houses have local groups organizing laying fiber. These fiber connections are then "black fiber" in the sense that you can get any ISP over them. Some of what you pay to the ISP is then forwarded to whoever is in charge of maintenance.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2019, 10:03 AM

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2019, 10:11 AM

I was bumped up to 100mbit after threatening to cancel Comcast for the millionth time, they removed my free HBO subscription they bribed me with last time though... I bought my own equipment and have only the local channels they all but force you to have for the low price of 90 dollars a month!

In my area I can choose from Comcast, and 4mbit DSL. Hooray for competition!

subego
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2019, 02:15 PM

I’ve got a 100/10 business account which costs $200.

That’s ridiculous, but they do treat me well when it breaks.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2019, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I’ve got a 100/10 business account which costs $200.

I always assumed the business class packages had much better UL to DL ratio than that, thats whack.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2019, 05:11 PM

Well, I’m sure I could fix that by paying more.

It works out closer to 20 in practice. I could definitely use faster, but that’s good enough.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2019, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Well, I’m sure I could fix that by paying more.
They would be honored to take more money honestly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules