Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Rumor: Mac mini to lose SuperDrive, re-priced attractively.

Rumor: Mac mini to lose SuperDrive, re-priced attractively.
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2010, 11:52 PM

I just overheard this from someone behind my back. Is it possible and does it make sense? I thought the mini was way too new to deserve a redesign.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2011, 12:02 AM

Depends on your definition of "attractively".

The Mac Mini server already doesn't have a SuperDrive, so it's not like the idea is beyond the pale.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2011, 01:55 AM

Maybe they'll offer the Mac Mini Server version without the 2nd drive and without Snow Leopard Server.

I suppose that could drop the price down to $599. I currently own a Server version and I like it.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2011, 05:59 AM

Or, they could just lower the price back to $499. That'd be nice.

Although, I do think Apple is going to go on an optical drive killing spree soon, and is the real reason they've chosen to ignore Blu-ray.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Maybe they'll offer the Mac Mini Server version without the 2nd drive and without Snow Leopard Server.
Knowing Steve, the Mini will lose the spinning platters too.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2011, 12:27 PM

I thought the mini was way too new to deserve a redesign.
I believe it. See below.

I do think Apple is going to go on an optical drive killing spree soon, and is the real reason they've chosen to ignore Blu-ray.
I think this is a more powerful reason.

Apple - App Store - Buy, download, and install apps made for Mac.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2011, 01:56 PM

I agree as well that they will probably be losing the optical drives in as many of their machines as they can. Receiving a 30% commission on every app sold for the mac is a pretty powerful incentive to do it, I think. I wonder if Adobe and other big players will be willing to sell through the mac app store. They may get a discount on the commissions though, so I guess it could work out okay for them.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2011, 05:53 PM

Half the thread title seems a fair enough bet anyway.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2011, 06:56 PM

On the other hand, less gigabytes mean less content and less apps a Mac users could buy. Mac minis are the only Macs for budget minded individuals.

If anybody asks "what's your definition of budget minded?", that somebody also asks "if you need to ask for the price, you can't afford it".

Attractively priced means priced low enough to put in a commercial: $400 for a Core2Duo Mac mini. I am not saying that Steve should be selling to the mullet people, but that Apple should expand outside the gated community family.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 1, 2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Attractively priced means priced low enough to put in a commercial: $400 for a Core2Duo Mac mini. I am not saying that Steve should be selling to the mullet people, but that Apple should expand outside the gated community family.
You have no idea who is buying Macs these days. They are certainly not all "gated community" families.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2011, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
You have no idea who is buying Macs these days. They are certainly not all "gated community" families.
I'm a non-gated Apple user since 1996.

-t

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2011, 06:14 AM

I have the new one, have never put a disk in it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
I agree as well that they will probably be losing the optical drives in as many of their machines as they can. Receiving a 30% commission on every app sold for the mac is a pretty powerful incentive to do it, I think. I wonder if Adobe and other big players will be willing to sell through the mac app store. They may get a discount on the commissions though, so I guess it could work out okay for them.
App Store profits certainly aren't the motivation.

Apple won't make much money off those 30%. They hardly make anything off the iOS app store, either. Some, yes, but a mere drop in the bucket.

The App Store is a safe ecosystem designed to sell the hardware you need to access it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 2, 2011, 10:19 AM

I was about to complain that the Mini's optical drive is how I watch DVDs, but I scored a free Blu-Ray player last night so I'm okay with it now.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2011, 11:22 AM

I do actually use DVD drives, not often, but enough to need one. That said, if they hack $100 off the price of the mini, you could just buy a USB burner for like $50 and put it in a drawer until that one time per month you actually need it.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2011, 11:44 AM

^^^ Exactly.

Even better: Apple could offer the MBA Superdrive for ALL Macs. Easy fix.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2011, 12:09 PM

But clunky.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
But clunky.
Many Apple customers would care more about compatibility and knowing it works than getting something that's 0.3 inch smaller.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2011, 06:29 PM

Seems like the obvious next step for Apple, who seem to have a case of making their hardware thinner than it needs to be.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I'm a non-gated Apple user since 1996.

-t
Non- Gated since 1992. Could not resist ClarisWorks on a Performa!
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Many Apple customers would care more about compatibility and knowing it works than getting something that's 0.3 inch smaller.

-t
Relying on an external box is clunky, I meant.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2011, 07:23 PM

My prediction:
Mac Mini looses it's optical drive.
Mac Mini price goes *up*, just 'cause.
Mac Mini gets motherboard-integrated RAM.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2011, 08:05 PM

The only way a more expensive ($749+) Mac mini would sell in 2011 would be if it had an i7 and it came in colors.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2011, 11:48 PM

I could see loosing the optical's. I use mine so rarely. The biggest issue with this will be from shitty software developers. Like the new GTA for Mac. REQUIRES you to have the disc in to play. So absurd.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2011, 11:57 PM

The only way a more expensive ($749+) Mac mini would sell in 2011 would be if it had an i7 and it came in colors.
That hasn't stopped Apple before.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2011, 12:19 AM

Yes and no, it really depends on how often you need a CD/DVD drive.

Sooner or later, Apple is going to go that route, I'm pretty certain.
One day, you'll be able to connect an ext. CD/DVD drive to an iPad and rip music directly, or backup your movies etc.

-t

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2011, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
I could see loosing the optical's. I use mine so rarely. The biggest issue with this will be from shitty software developers. Like the new GTA for Mac. REQUIRES you to have the disc in to play. So absurd.
Apple could probably drop the price of the MBA superdrive to $79 or $49 if they went that route, and use it as justification to drop the drives from all of their macs. That said, if they do an across the board move away from them, I would expect to see the 13" MBA replacing the 13" white MacBook and MacBook Pro.

And yes, I know it has the "Pro" label on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple went to non-removable flash storage and soldered-on RAM in the MBP line, either. "It's thinner!"

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2011, 12:46 AM

Steve jobs was very clear when he intro'd the macbook air, that it was the future for laptops. You can solder in my ram just fine, as long as you solder in a shit load of it, not 2 GB. I also still need a HDD. For now. Oh well.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2011, 02:04 AM

Brien, the MacBook Air SuperDrive has been $79 for some time now.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2011, 02:41 AM

Whoops. Yes it is.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2011, 05:00 AM

The only reason I could resell my previous MacBooks is that I had upgraded them up from the paltry amount of RAM and HDD it came from the store with.

I wonder what would be the resale value of an MBA with 64GB in 2012. It would be like trying to sell a netbook with 16GB SSD.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2011, 07:02 AM

You can solder in my ram just fine, as long as you solder in a shit load of it, not 2 GB.
Good luck with that.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2011, 11:43 PM

Steve jobs was very clear when he intro'd the macbook air, that it was the future for laptops. You can solder in my ram just fine, as long as you solder in a shit load of it, not 2 GB. I also still need a HDD. For now. Oh well.
That means that your MBA will be obsolete exactly the day Steve decides so.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2011, 11:53 PM

That means that your MBA will be obsolete exactly the day Steve decides so.
When I say a shit load, I mean what I consider a shit load, not what steve would consider a shit load.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2011, 12:01 AM

When I say a shit load, I mean what I consider a shit load, not what steve would consider a shit load.
I interpreted your "For now, oh well" as a capitulation, that you actually bought a good-for-a-few-months 2GB MBA.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2011, 12:04 AM

I interpreted your "For now, oh well" as a capitulation, that you actually bought a good-for-a-few-months 2GB MBA.
I've never owned a MacBook Air. My current macbook pro came with 4 GB and I don't plan on upgrading that. My previous macbook pro came with 2 GB. It could have used an upgrade, but i only keep my laptops for about a year, and I knew it's replacement was going to have 4 GB. So I didn't waste the money upgrading it.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2011, 03:02 AM

I don't think putting the RAM on the mobo makes enough of a space difference for the Pros. Fact is the Air is the insanely thin Model. If anything that should mean that the Pros can stay just as thick as they are. Make a 17 inch Air model if you want an insanely thin 17 inch.

That said how many Mac laptop users need that optical drive on the go? I'd say start making it a BTO option to either include or exclude it. I plan on using that space should it still exist for an SSD boot drive unless my next 13 inch Pro already comes with one.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2011, 08:42 AM

I don't use the optical drive that much at home. Currently mulling over replacing the Macbook at some point this year, funds allowing. I've never really used it out and about that much, just plugged in at the desk, sometimes it gets as far as the sofa. So I think my options are an iMac, or a Mac mini and iPad. No rush on it, I would like the Mac mini to get an i series processor though. Its probably a personal thing, but I don't see a 2007 Core2 Macbook to a 2010 Core2 Mac mini as much of an upgrade.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2011, 10:05 AM

Yes it is, but nonetheless Apple already sells a "clunky" external optical drive.

Anyways, I have an external Blu-ray/DVD burner mainly for my iMac, but have also purchased a slim slot-load Blu-ray reader DVD writer for everything else. Works with all my Macs and Windows PCs natively, as expected (except for Blu-ray movie playback on Macs).

While it's nice to have a built-in drive in the Mac mini, it really isn't necessary, esp. since Apple deems it necessary to exclude Blu-ray from its Macs. If they feel they must continue to include an optical drive, then it should be Blu-ray capable.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2011, 03:45 AM

Not to mention optical drives kack out all the time. The ones in both my PowerBook and my MacBook did. I have a small tray loading Samsung external I use about once ever six months. I don't see why laptop should be held back by something so big yet so useless. Give me an SSD + more battery life any day! Or heck even two more RAM slots!

hayesk
Jan 19, 2011, 09:07 PM

Personally, I'd love to see a tiny Mac mini (size of new AppleTV, maybe), with a 64GB SSD, 4GB, of RAM, GigE, and eSATA (or FW800). Couple that with a few external drives and it'd make a great home server.

Of course, iTunes and Aperture (or iPhoto) server software would be nice too, but I'm not holding my breath.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2011, 09:10 PM

Id' much rather see the return of the Cube. Mac mini logic board, with 4 or more 3.5" internal drive bays above. Also dual ethernet.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2011, 09:56 PM

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2011, 09:58 PM

Firewire bridgeboards are not the same as true sata right off the logic board. I have a similar (but not as fancy looking) hack, but it's still a hack and no where near as good as the real thing

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2011, 10:33 AM

I guess we were correct.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2011, 10:44 AM

Except for the price going down.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2011, 11:09 AM

The Godfather knows SJ!

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2011, 02:14 PM

The price did go down.

I'm seeing this comment all over the internet. I guess most people didn't realize the previous Mac Mini started at $699.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2011, 05:51 PM

I was shocked when I finally noticed that it had lost the drive.

I did want to replace my mini next year, but I really shouldn't spend the money. I'm not saying that losing the drive is a deal breaker, but I probably would've wanted an external
with it.

I guess I'll just upgrade the RAM on my existing mini so I can load it with Lion. I wonder if my old mini can even handle 4Gb...and how much it would cost if it can.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2011, 12:23 AM

I love this new mac mini. I can't wait to get one. The only thing I need now are some cheap thunderbolt multi-drive enclosures, or, even just a thunderbolt bridge board with a bunch of sata connectors.

Forum Links
Forum Rules