Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The US Broadband Thread of "I can't believe these effers"

The US Broadband Thread of "I can't believe these effers" (Page 3)
OreoCookie
Feb 2, 2015, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
More overpriced: Apple hardware or Broadband? The answer may surprise you!
In my dream, Apple isn't working by themselves, it works with the other tech companies, and they're collaborating on it. And I'm not just thinking about »cheaper cable«, I was thinking that they could integrate new wireless technologies, a sort of hybrid between LTE and WLAN, where each customer's router also acts as a nano cell/femto cell. So if you're a customer, you can travel someplace else and use that shared connection.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 2, 2015, 01:18 PM

I meant broadband in general. Because people love to bitch about apple.

OreoCookie
Feb 2, 2015, 01:30 PM

I meant broadband in general. Because people love to bitch about apple.
Ah, ok. But honestly, I don't think it can get much worse than it is now. What I'm missing is someone who reimagines the network as is suitable for the 21st century -- a sort of LTE moment for ISPs (with LTE the network was designed for data exchange first and voice second rather than the other way around). Instead of having a building with 20~30 wireless networks, how about having a few networks where the capacity is shared to some degree at least? How about pushing to increase speeds so that you enable new services (e. g. proper online storage and fast online backups and such)?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 2, 2015, 01:35 PM

Anyway, comments I've seen on other forums seem to suggest the article title is overblown – and poorly calculated. Though I wonder how far off it is.

OreoCookie
Feb 2, 2015, 01:51 PM

Anyway, comments I've seen on other forums seem to suggest the article title is overblown – and poorly calculated. Though I wonder how far off it is.
Honestly, I don't take the 97 % margin story seriously. But what is clear is that Comcast et al are among the most disliked companies out there, and that they do zilch to advance technology at a pace which is commensurate with the IT industry at large. They become the eye of the needle through which we have to thread through. Mobile carriers (for all of their deserved criticism) are investing money into networks, and download speeds via LTE are often faster than via your cable/DSL connection at home (at least that is true for me).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 2, 2015, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Mobile carriers (for all of their deserved criticism) are investing money into networks, and download speeds via LTE are often faster than via your cable/DSL connection at home (at least that is true for me).
Yeah, but mobile has caps. What's the point of great speed when you can't use it? I would think their margin is/will be even better, hence why they're trying to foist it on everyone.

OreoCookie
Feb 2, 2015, 02:26 PM

Yeah, but mobile has caps. What's the point of great speed when you can't use it? I would think their margin is/will be even better, hence why they're trying to foist it on everyone.
Depending on where you are, so does broadband. With my first ISP, I had to pay extra to upgrade from a 80 GB/month to 120 GB/month cap. After switching, I got 300 GB/month with the (paid) option to go unlimited. Since I use 150~180 GB/month, I don't have to. But I take your point.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 2, 2015, 02:29 PM

Depending on where you are, so does broadband.
The difference in caps is staggering, though, as far as I know. Like 2 GB and 5 GB vs 50 GB and 100.

OreoCookie
Feb 2, 2015, 02:37 PM

The difference in caps is staggering, though, as far as I know. Like 2 GB and 5 GB vs 50 GB and 100.
You're right, but even 100 GB is not enough for my purposes. In Japan, I had a flatrate from my carrier, and this allowed me to use my cell phone in entirely new ways (e. g. I could use iTunes Match and I did not need to care which song was downloaded to my iPhone and which wasn't).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 2, 2015, 02:41 PM

You're right, but even 100 GB is not enough for my purposes.
The point being an equivalent cap on wireless would cost more than double wired.

P
Feb 5, 2015, 07:35 AM

Surprised that nobody has linked this one yet. Title II might finally be happening:

http://forums.macnn.com/113/tech-new...nounces-title/

No LLU, but hey, it's a step in the right direction.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2015, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Surprised that nobody has linked this one yet. Title II might finally be happening:

http://forums.macnn.com/113/tech-new...nounces-title/

No LLU, but hey, it's a step in the right direction.
Without a good degree of forbearance from the FCC, it's much more onerous than a simple local-loop unbundling.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 5, 2015, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I've confused myself so much at this point that I'm not sure whether it's even safe to put a government maneuver in a Lounge thread. I've mostly stuck to trashing companies in this thread now.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2015, 11:21 AM

I've confused myself so much at this point that I'm not sure whether it's even safe to put a government maneuver in a Lounge thread. I've mostly stuck to trashing companies in this thread now.
I usually will take the conservative counterpoint in matters around here, much of the time if for no other reason than to play devil's advocate, but I hate ISPs so much that I can't even muster the desire to do it. These a**holes are so despicable in their business practices, they make oil companies and banks seem consumer friendly. F*** `em.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 5, 2015, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
I usually will take the conservative counterpoint in matters around here, much of the time if for no other reason than to play devil's advocate, but I hate ISPs so much that I can't even muster the desire to do it. These a**holes are so despicable in their business practices, they make oil companies and banks seem consumer friendly. F*** `em.
I'm not sure I would go that far.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2015, 11:32 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 5, 2015, 11:37 AM

C'mon, facts are facts.
You make a valid counter-point, but I'm still not sold.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2015, 11:41 AM

You make a valid counter-point, but I'm still not sold.
What would it take to sell you, Mr Asshole Dakar?

This is a joke, Dakar knows it, I'd say most around here know it. Geez.

Tech News and more: US ISP Changed Customer’s Name to “Asshole Brown” but is Totally Sorry

Whoever reported this, chill out.
( Last edited by Cap'n Tightpants; Feb 5, 2015 at 12:24 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 5, 2015, 11:44 AM

What would it take to sell you
I'm just finessing the issue, mentally. There's more to Comcast than internet, and oil and banks actions are less 'visible' in our day to day lives.

Mr Asshole Dakar?
lulz

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 5, 2015, 01:33 PM

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2015, 03:22 PM

Whoa, what balls they have.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 5, 2015, 03:46 PM

There's a point where you have to realize these are employees in a thankless and likely poorly paid job acting out.

OreoCookie
Feb 5, 2015, 03:53 PM

There's a point where you have to realize these are employees in a thankless and likely poorly paid job acting out.
And who are under a lot of pressure. In short, it's the ideal environment to bring the worst out in people.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 5, 2015, 04:00 PM

And who are under a lot of pressure. In short, it's the ideal environment to bring the worst out in people.
Yep, if Comcast's service (i.e., quality of installation + reliability) weren't so awful these people wouldn't have to deal with both volume and intensity of complaints. So either pay them more, fix your service, or enjoy the continued PR bath.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 5, 2015, 04:06 PM

The sales quotas on customer service are the biggest problem. They should be paid to help us (ie - for doing their job). Not paid to sell to us, and definitely not fired for failing to sell us stuff. Sending 'cancel' calls to Customer Retentions, with quotas, is obscene. They're paying retentions people to thwart our will, then rewarding them for success, and firing them for failure.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 5, 2015, 04:14 PM

That's a good point maybe the problem stems from that specific retentions department.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2015, 04:03 PM

This is literally unbelievable. This is C. Montgomery Burns level evil.
Comcast Accidentally Receives Customer’s Rent Check, Cashes It Anyway – Consumerist
When a 79-year-old Comcast customer accidentally included her rent check with her Comcast bill, not only did the cable company cash the check — which was more than 10 times the amount of her bill and was made out to someone else — but it also refused to issue her a refund when it acknowledged the goof.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 12, 2015, 04:11 PM

It shouldn't have been possible to cash a check made out to someone else. This brings up due diligence on the bank's part, and/or banking fraud. If you aren't the party the check is made out to, or a reasonable designee, it should be rejected by the bank.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2015, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
It shouldn't have been possible to cash a check made out to someone else. This brings up due diligence on the bank's part, and/or banking fraud. If you aren't the party the check is made out to, or a reasonable designee, it should be rejected by the bank.
Yup, that bothers me too. But then again, the bank not giving a shit isn't all that surprising.

andi*pandi
Feb 12, 2015, 05:41 PM

It's a side effect of digitizing the check clearing process. Checks are scanned, OCR'd... I wonder if they even scan the name part?

My bank ATM started doing deposits on checks without an envelope... watching the checks disappear into the machine, and then reading the display (accurately!) show the amounts, I felt a little like an old person. "there's a tiny wizard in there!"

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2015, 02:30 PM

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2015, 11:24 PM

Anyone browsing without being on an encrypted/authenticated VPN is letting their ISP have access to all their private info and stats, I assumed that was pretty much a given.

P
Feb 17, 2015, 05:37 AM

Anyone driving on public roads technically gives away where they're driving. Doesn't mean that stalking them is OK.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2015, 10:09 AM

Charging to not have your privacy invaded while already being charged for the service to begin with is an ...interesting strategy.

I would have thought PR wise it'd have been smarter to just not offer the more expensive option at all.

OreoCookie
Feb 17, 2015, 10:10 AM

Anyone browsing without being on an encrypted/authenticated VPN is letting their ISP have access to all their private info and stats, I assumed that was pretty much a given.
Of course, this is correct on the technical level, but are you sure that legally ISPs have the right to record and exploit this information? That's sort of like saying it's ok for the US Postal Service to scan and read postcards, and use that for their own purposes.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2015, 11:53 AM

Always assume that, unless it's stated otherwise, a company is going to use what information is available for their own purposes. Is it right? No, IMO it isn't, but that's as much as I trust just about anyone. With robust, full-featured VPN services starting at just $30-40 /year, unless you're on a shoestring budget, there's no good reason not to use one.

reader50
Administrator
Feb 17, 2015, 02:05 PM

That's sort of like saying it's ok for the US Postal Service to scan and read postcards, and use that for their own purposes.
The (US) Post Office does this, scanning front and back of all envelopes sent through the system. The info is provided to any interested government agency, so the NSA will be getting it all. Postcards do not have envelopes, so yes, they do read them. At least, a computer will. A human too if keywords are detected.

Use an envelope. Omit the return address if it's not critically important mail, so they can't connect the dots. If you get the recipient address right, the return address is almost never needed.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2015, 05:07 PM

With robust, full-featured VPN services starting at just $30-40 /year, unless you're on a shoestring budget, there's no good reason not to use one.
So at $29, AT&T has priced the service exactly right.

OreoCookie
Feb 17, 2015, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
The (US) Post Office does this, scanning front and back of all envelopes sent through the system. The info is provided to any interested government agency, so the NSA will be getting it all. Postcards do not have envelopes, so yes, they do read them. At least, a computer will. A human too if keywords are detected.

Use an envelope. Omit the return address if it's not critically important mail, so they can't connect the dots. If you get the recipient address right, the return address is almost never needed.
Touché, I forgot about that.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2015, 09:24 PM

So at $29, AT&T has priced the service exactly right.
Whose VPN are you connecting to? Ah, I get it, you're talking about the $29 /month AT&T wants to charge you to not sell your info with everyone they can? No, that's not a VPN, at all, it's actually a lot more like blackmail. Also, $29 /month is a lot more than $35 /year.
( Last edited by Cap'n Tightpants; Feb 18, 2015 at 03:02 AM. )

OreoCookie
Feb 19, 2015, 07:57 PM

Whose VPN are you connecting to? Ah, I get it, you're talking about the $29 /month AT&T wants to charge you to not sell your info with everyone they can? No, that's not a VPN, at all, it's actually a lot more like blackmail. Also, $29 /month is a lot more than $35 /year.
No need to nitpick. Getting a VPN should not be necessary to have normal, decent internet service.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2015, 09:08 PM

Nitpick? Have you seen the internet in the US? Between the gov't hoarding every scrap of our private information (to later use against us) and our ISP monopoly, that's determined to sell us out to anyone with spare change (while shamelessly abusing us), anyone who isn't on a VPN is freaking nuts.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 20, 2015, 12:36 PM

Does VPN work when you're on cellular?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 20, 2015, 12:37 PM

Also, $29 /month is a lot more than $35 /year.
Yep, I misread that.

OreoCookie
Feb 20, 2015, 12:55 PM

Nitpick? Have you seen the internet in the US? Between the gov't hoarding every scrap of our private information (to later use against us) and our ISP monopoly, that's determined to sell us out to anyone with spare change (while shamelessly abusing us), anyone who isn't on a VPN is freaking nuts.
I understand the situation very well, but it seems like a solution that approaches the problem from the wrong end. And moreover, even if you use a VPN, I don't see how that protects you against many forms of tracking, at the exit point of your VPN you just have a regular internet connection after all. If you want privacy, you need to run Tor.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2015, 01:05 PM

Yep, I misread that.
I figured you did.

Does VPN work when you're on cellular?
Yes, it does, with iOS, Windows Mobile, Ubuntu, and Android, plus all the regular desktop OSes; Windows, OS X, Linux, etc..
( Last edited by Cap'n Tightpants; Feb 20, 2015 at 01:19 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 20, 2015, 01:07 PM

I figured you did.
I consider it good form to publicly admit it.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2015, 01:17 PM

I understand the situation very well, but it seems like a solution that approaches the problem from the wrong end. And moreover, even if you use a VPN, I don't see how that protects you against many forms of tracking, at the exit point of your VPN you just have a regular internet connection after all. If you want privacy, you need to run Tor.
Tor is being tracked by the NSA by running 1000s of their own nodes, and has been for a couple years, and has even compromised the browser source itself. That's how they nailed Dread Pirate Roberts. With an end-to-end encrypted VPN (like in the link I posted above) they only know you're doing something by snooping from the ISP or a network junction, not exactly what it is, unless they happen to be sitting on either end of the tunnel.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Feb 20, 2015, 01:18 PM

That's how they nailed Dread Pirate Roberts.
They nailed him because the idiot posted under his real name once and then used his main email address subsequently. Ars covers this in depth.

Forum Links
Forum Rules