Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > ..am i mad?

..am i mad?
eddiecatflap
Baninated
Dec 22, 2002, 04:59 AM

..for not liking x ?

..i'm buying a dual 1.25 soon and won't be using X on it , i prefer 9.

..not just the speed , but the look and feel too.

..i guess i haven't been sucked in by the x hype , having used it , i'm not very impressed with it's design or it's stability.

9 seems a much more rounded os imho.

..i guess apple may be mad too.

Cipher13
Dec 22, 2002, 08:05 AM

Originally posted by eddiecatflap:
..for not liking x ?

..i guess i haven't been sucked in by the x hype , having used it , i'm not very impressed with it's design or it's stability.

Ditto. I just booted OS9 to install Black and White, so I could update it to play in OSX ( ) and... and it's nice out here... I think I'll stay for a while... </RHCP>

eddiecatflap  (op)
Baninated
Dec 22, 2002, 10:22 AM

..wonder if apple will experience a backlash?

..disaffected classic mac os users - sticking to the second hand market , rather than trading up - simply because they don't want or need the NEW improved model ?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2002, 12:34 PM

i love 9.2.2, use it exclusively. everything works, including my numerous hacks & custom extensions.

i do music, writing, surfing, web design, graphics...

BUT,

x IS the future, and i will move to it next year.

at some point, you will want the current versions of your apps, new functionality, better stability...the future.

so, 9 rocks, but X is what's next.

(just my thoughts)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

bgmccollum
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2002, 09:40 PM

right on about os 9. i wont be switching for production work till most of the kinks are worked out, and that might be a long while.

x IS the future, but the future isn't ripe yet....

bg

skyman
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2002, 12:14 AM

..for not liking x ?

I have to agree to a point. I like both OS 10 and 9.2.2

The only application that crashes in 9.2.2 (maybe once a week) is Internet Exploder. But I am not surprised as it was produced by MicroCrap.

However, I do like the multitasking in 10 and the fast wake from sleep and many other things. On my 400MHz Powerbook 9.2.2 is much faster than X and I have 385MEG of RAM. Yes, I know X runs faster now on systems with lots of VRAM. I know, I know!!

I have not completely switched to X as there are a few apps that I have that won't run even in Classic mode.

I do like X and will completely switch eventually.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2002, 05:48 AM

..wonder if apple will experience a backlash?

..disaffected classic mac os users - sticking to the second hand market , rather than trading up - simply because they don't want or need the NEW improved model ?
Yea, that would work, for 5 years at the most.

Cipher13
Dec 25, 2002, 08:44 AM

I'm on OSX full time now (well, on the G4, 95%) because I have to know what's going on... I have little choice.

And anyway. I'll admit what's best for what applications, and OSX wipes the floor with OS9 for use at work (school situation).

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
I'm on OSX full time now (well, on the G4, 95%) because I have to know what's going on... I have little choice.

And anyway. I'll admit what's best for what applications, and OSX wipes the floor with OS9 for use at work (school situation).
Wow ... am I confusing you with someone else, or did you do a 180 on this topic?

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 26, 2002, 09:22 AM

lmao... no, you didn't get him confused... you were spot on!

personally i love 9... even on my g4...

pmg4lktan
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2002, 10:06 AM

another classic guy here ...

on G4 and uses 9.2.2 from last year till now ...

why? because i can't get Jaguar ... perhaps i'll switch when iget Jaguar ...

Best regards from,
pmg4lktan
Best regards from,
pmg4lktan

Cipher13
Dec 26, 2002, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by driven:
Wow ... am I confusing you with someone else, or did you do a 180 on this topic?
No 180, no confusion.

I love OS9. I have to use OSX so I can get to know it. We're migrating to OSX at work (I'm a sysadmin of a school). So... what choice do I have?

I run OS9 on the WGS7350, 8.6 on a 5500, 9 on a 5500, X on the G4, iMac and X Server on the iBook, 9 on the WS233, and 7 on the PB190.

I still get a good dose of Classic.

I will give each OS due credit, where it is deserved. Whether people will believe it or not, I am entirely unbiased when it comes to computers and operating systems.

If I call something crap, it's because (for my purposes) it is crap. Not because I'm bitter.

I'm still a classic person, but hey. Jaguar isn't bad. It's just tolerable. And I have to get to know it...

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2002, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
No 180, no confusion.

I love OS9. I have to use OSX so I can get to know it. We're migrating to OSX at work (I'm a sysadmin of a school). So... what choice do I have?

I run OS9 on the WGS7350, 8.6 on a 5500, 9 on a 5500, X on the G4, iMac and X Server on the iBook, 9 on the WS233, and 7 on the PB190.

I still get a good dose of Classic.

I will give each OS due credit, where it is deserved. Whether people will believe it or not, I am entirely unbiased when it comes to computers and operating systems.

If I call something crap, it's because (for my purposes) it is crap. Not because I'm bitter.

I'm still a classic person, but hey. Jaguar isn't bad. It's just tolerable. And I have to get to know it...

Thanks for the clarification. Not that you had to explain anything to me, but it is appreciated.

No ... you have to learn it. This is especially true if you are going to be supporting it? What school is this if you don't mind my asking? Or at least, what kind of school? (College, high-school)? (Just curious)

I run Classic (Was 9.0.4, now 9.2.2 as of 10 minutes ago) on my Wife/Daughters iMac. Quite simply they don't need X. All of my daughters edutainment software is in Classic, so X would be a waste. My wife is happy with whatever e-mail program you sit her in front of. Until I got the Airport card in this puppy she's been using my G4 Cube downstairs with OSX Mail. Now that I have her iMac back online she'll be going back to Entourage:2001. I'm waiting to see how well the adjustment goes.. Besides: OS9 makes this 384MB iMac DV SE 500 feel as quick as my Athlon XP 1700+ downstairs.

It wouldn't do for me ... I'm a developer and am always tinkering. I'd break 9 in a few hours.

The way I look at it is this: OS9 and OSX feel like two totally different computers. As different as Windows and Linux. (With the exception that X is somewhat backward compatible.) I like your mention that you appreciate each for what it is. Or is that "what it be" in the modern vernacular?

I thought about upgrading her iMac to an eMac this Christmas but browsing eBay I found that her iMac is only worth like $300-$400 now ... not worth getting rid of. (In many ways I like this machine better than my Cube ... but that's for a different thread.)

Anyway ... I'm rambling ....

Forum Links
Forum Rules