Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Serious battery woes after update!

Serious battery woes after update!
ctbritt
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2003, 12:01 AM

OK. Not sure what's happened, but it seems my battery on my 12in. RevA has been hosed.

I installed the Battery Update 1.1 last night and noticed that nothing had changed. Well, jealous of everyone who had increased battery life (I'd been getting 1.5 hours) I decided to re-calibrate the battery. Let it discharge and then charged it back up.

Then, I noticed the battery icon had a little "x" in it, and the menu said "No batteries available." But I was running on battery power. Odd, I thought. So I shut down the machine, took the battery out and put it back in. Now, the battery is completely hosed. It won't take a change, and Xbattery reports a current level of -1.200A. (It also reports its capacity at 10.000Ah.) Also, it won't take a charge now! I have it plugged in, and it won't charge up at all.

Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,
Christopher Allbritton
MacOS X 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 15-in. 2.33 GHz MBP 2 CD
www.back-to-iraq.com

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2003, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by ctbritt:

Anyone have any suggestions?
Call Apple support, get on their nerves until they give you a free new battery.
You might have to call a couple of times. Don#t let them charge you for creating a new case and support.
Tell them your story.

For more info, do a search on the Apple Discussion board on dead iBook batteries and OS update 10.2.

-t

ctbritt  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2003, 03:54 PM

well, I took the machine to my local Apple store and they swapped out the battery. Thank goodness.
Christopher Allbritton
MacOS X 10.4.9, 2GB RAM, 15-in. 2.33 GHz MBP 2 CD
www.back-to-iraq.com

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2003, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by ctbritt:
well, I took the machine to my local Apple store and they swapped out the battery. Thank goodness.
Was yout "machine" still under warranty or did you have an Apple CAre plan ?

The crucial question is always for users out of warranty and w/o Apple Care to get a new battery when new updates mess up the battery.

I was lucky once after an OS 10.2 upgrade to receive a free new battery from Apple after the update messed mine up. I'm hesitant to install the new upgrade and take chances that my battery get's messed up again. Who knows if I'm lucky again to get a free new battery...

-t

krux`
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2003, 05:39 PM

yes if its in within 90 days they should replace it. my battery was at 3600, then 3400, i recalibrated, and it went to 3100, so i called apple

once on the phone, the person didnt seem to experienced.., and i told them the whole issue.. they kinda hesitated but then just sent me a new battery in less than 30 hours, now it is staying at 4400.. i believe they were more inclined to ship it knowing i had applecare, i cant be sure but thats the impression i got. overall excellent customer support at apple, very pleased.
15"AluPB1.5GHz1GBR80GBhdbcklitkeyboard 10.4.8
email: [email protected] iChat: [email protected]
http://www.davidgclark.com/

Religion is for those who have never had a spiritual experience.

Forum Links
Forum Rules