Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook now, or wait 'til G5 Powerbook

View Poll Results: Get a G4 powerbook now, or wait 'til a G5 powerbook
Poll Options:
Gimme' a G4 Powerbook now. 24 votes (57.14%)
I'm waiting for the G5 Powerbook! 18 votes (42.86%)
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll
Powerbook now, or wait 'til G5 Powerbook
Thread Tools
gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Good question...
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2004, 04:58 AM
 
With all this hoola about powerbook updates come monday/tuesday, and assuming this is the last G4 powerbook update, I am curious as to how many people are planning on getting a powerbook next week or are waiting until a G5 powerbook comes along.
     
bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Boise, ID
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2004, 05:30 AM
 
I'm selling my G5 for a powerbook, and I have an iBook G4 800 right now, so I'll use that for a while, and either keep it because I'll find it feels less like a toy when compared tot he G5 I use day-to-day, or sell it because it still feels like a toy and buy a PBG5
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz
     
cszar2001
Photo Architect
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Bamberg, Germany
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2004, 06:09 AM
 
I´m very happy with my PB17 Rev. A.
A G5 PB will take at least another year-and Rev. B takes another 6 months.

Buy now and be happy instead spending all your time worrying about the future.
The first thing that`s going to happen when G5 PB`s are available is people asking "Should I wait for the G6 PB?". It never stops.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.
     
Link
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hyrule
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2004, 06:25 AM
 
Yes, but be careful to NOT buy when the product was last revised in September.. and it's now the middle of April

In fact, I downright warn against it.. HIGHLY against it.

A 1.5ghz G4 Powerbook will be good, and judging by the progress I'd HOPE for a g5 powerbook sometime around November-January...

One more thing to note is the PowerMac g5 hasn't been updated since it's introduction last July, NEARLY 11 months ago.
Aloha
     
saranwarp
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: dirty south
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2004, 10:05 AM
 
I bought mine in December and haven't regretted it at all.

I really don't understand all the obsession over when the next version comes out and what will be on it. If you want one or need one, then buy it. If not, then don't.
     
The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Switzerland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2004, 10:44 AM
 
I'd think it will be the end of the year before a G5 powerbook hits the streets, and then a huge wait for delivery after mass of orders... then there is benefit of waiting for the Rev B idea.

12+ months is a lot time to be waiting... I would be tempted to say to people that the current/new G4 machines are the best bet for the next year.
     
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2004, 10:49 AM
 
A 1.42 - 1.50 GHz G4 PowerBook would be an excellent choice. I wouldn't buy a 1.25 though (unless you get it for a very good price), since they're gonna be refreshed soon most likely.

I bought my TiBook 1 GHz in 2002 so I'm not upgrading yet, but I'm starting to think it may just have to carry me until 2005 (rev. B G5 PowerBook?).

I'm glad I have AppleCare. Even in 2005 I'll be able to sell this machine with a warranty.
     
Patcarla
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montpellier
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2004, 02:12 PM
 
Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
A 1.42 - 1.50 GHz G4 PowerBook would be an excellent choice. I wouldn't buy a 1.25 though (unless you get it for a very good price), since they're gonna be refreshed soon most likely.

I bought my TiBook 1 GHz in 2002 so I'm not upgrading yet, but I'm starting to think it may just have to carry me until 2005 (rev. B G5 PowerBook?).

I'm glad I have AppleCare. Even in 2005 I'll be able to sell this machine with a warranty.
Same here, bought my Tibook 1ghz beginning of 2003 and plenty happy with. I wouldn't upgrade for a1.42/1.50 GHz G4. I'll wait for sure till G5 PB hit the street.
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)
     
SketchPad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denmark
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2004, 04:08 PM
 
I cant help feeling a bit odd since I just purchased a
brand new Powerbook 17" 1.33 - full retail price
and it didnt even come with 10.3.3 ..it came with 10.2.x

And now they're releasing a brand new upgraded version


DOOOOOHHH!!!!!!
===========

Screwed again...

/S
/SketchPad
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2004, 04:32 PM
 
If you have to ask, you should wait. Something newer and better is always just around the corner and you will be disappointed that you didn't wait for the next revision. Of course, this may mean that you never end up buying a new PB, since you're always waiting for the next one, but that comes with the territory of fantasizing about what new and better features the next model will come with.
     
onaujee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Dec 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2004, 04:36 PM
 
They are just releasing the new ones this week, and you will wait again? Just buy it!!
     
NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jan 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2004, 05:20 PM
 
Waiting on at least a 1.42 single G4 12" powerbook.

Would love it to be a G5 chip on a powerbook of about any speed, but will go ahead and buy the 12" powerbook if they put in at least a 1.42 chip. (the reason I'm stuck on 1.42 is I have a 1.42 dual tower and it would nicely match it).

     
ozymandismotard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2004, 05:31 PM
 
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Ozy
     
bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Boise, ID
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2004, 05:42 PM
 
you know though, let me say this. In December, everyone was saying 2.4/2.6GHz dual G5's were "right around the corner"


It was really tough for me, because i needed a new computer, but I could wait.


To date, no new G5's and I bought my dualie back on the 6th of dec. I was VERY glad that I didn't wait until the Rev B's.
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz
     
MrCaN
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lawrence, KS
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2004, 05:49 PM
 
What ever, I don't need a G5, I just will be happy with the good old G4, casue you know I'm ordering one on monday.
Mr. CaN
     
bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Boise, ID
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2004, 06:12 PM
 
Originally posted by MrCaN:
What ever, I don't need a G5, I just will be happy with the good old G4, casue you know I'm ordering one on monday.
assuming revised versions are released, of course.
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz
     
reemas
Senior User
Join Date: Oct 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2004, 08:53 PM
 
i think i'm in the same boat as the person who started this thread. basically it comes down to when would the new g5's come out?

if its 3 - 4 months, i'd wait. 7+ months i'd buy now. and 4 - 7 is the gray area for me.

i guess i'll wait and see what kind of revisions come out if they do.

my guess, and its just as bad as anyone else's in this forum, g5's by nov. thats 7 months. go figure. its a fine line between buy and wait. but if you wait, you better be ready for some good waiting!
     
James L
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 17, 2004, 09:05 PM
 
I posted this on another thread, but I will here too:

The new PB's won't be G5's, so no reason to worry about that. Apple has said publicly that it will be a while until the G5 is in the PB. They have said the G4 has a long life in the PB, and that they would "like" to have a G5 PB by the END of 2004. So, having said that.....

I think if someone has an old machine, and doesn't want to wait another 6 months (or more) until the G5 PB's come out, then upgrading now is the correct thing to do.

In my case, I am typing this on a G3 iBook 600MHZ. A machine that has 640MB RAM, 20GB hardrive (that is totally full), 8MB VRAM (no good games), only a combo drive, etc.... you can bet I am upgrading!

If someone had a machine 1GHZ or over then I don't think it would be worth it. Most, if not all of the powerbooks in this category have decent ram limits, hard drive sizes, video cards, etc. If I had a machine in this category I would wait another 6 months or so until the next revision.

...one mans opinion.

James

p.s. I don't think the G5 Powerbooks will be out until MWSF 2005.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:41 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,