Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Intel i7 - Where is it?

Intel i7 - Where is it?
yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2008, 03:37 PM

Where is the intel i7 we have been hearing about?
Is the new mac using the atom processor or the old core 2 duo?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 15, 2008, 03:41 PM

Edited your thread title to be more descriptive, "i7" is pretty meaningless to most people.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2008, 10:39 PM

The dual socket version (which I expect Apple to use in the Mac Pros) has slipped into 1Q09.

Apple doesn't use the Atom processor anywhere. They're now using the Core 2 Duos that were released in July in the laptops.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2008, 10:46 PM

I wonder why they are not using the latest atom cpu?
Well I will wait for the i7 which I think will be in the 17 inch when they refresh it or ditch atom all together and go just for the i7 when it comes out.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2008, 05:06 AM

Since this is the notebook forum I suppose by i7 you mean the Clarksfield and Auberndale CPUs.

Originally they were scheduled for 3Q09 and at least Auberndale has been delayed to the beginning of 2010. IIRC Clarksfield is now expected in 4Q09.

They should be 32nm and offer 4/8 MB of shared L3 cache. They will support SMT. Clarksfield will have four cores on a single die. Auberndale will be dual-core and will bundle integrated graphics. Intel will launch the new Calpella platform alongside these CPUs. There will be a new "Ibex Peak-M" bridge chip replacing the separate NB and SB on the current Cantiga chipsets.

OreoCookie
Oct 16, 2008, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by yoyoman View Post
I wonder why they are not using the latest atom cpu?
Because they are about as fast as a G4 to a first-gen Pentium M (the two generations before the current Core 2 duo incarnation).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2008, 02:25 PM

Oops, I missed that this was in the laptop forums. Yea, i7 won't hit Apple's laptops until late next year.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2008, 02:31 PM

Nehalem, the successor of the Core 2 Duo CPU series, will be introduced as "Core i7" later this year and the company hopes that the new brand will be easily recognized and remembered by customers when they walk into a store to buy a new PC.
the Intel Core i7 processor will use a new LGA 1366 pin socket. This supports the HUGE memory bandwidth of the i7. These chips are going to be awesome for digital media creation, multi-application workloads, and heavy-duty gaming. Remember, i7 is only the first identifier in the Intel Core Processor family, noting the highest performing desktop processors in the family. There will be others to come highlighting unique attributes of individual products in individual segments.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2008, 04:43 PM

Nehalem, the successor of the Core 2 Duo CPU series, will be introduced as "Core i7" later this year and the company hopes that the new brand will be easily recognized and remembered by customers when they walk into a store to buy a new PC.
the Intel Core i7 processor will use a new LGA 1366 pin socket. This supports the HUGE memory bandwidth of the i7. These chips are going to be awesome for digital media creation, multi-application workloads, and heavy-duty gaming. Remember, i7 is only the first identifier in the Intel Core Processor family, noting the highest performing desktop processors in the family. There will be others to come highlighting unique attributes of individual products in individual segments.
None of that has anything to do with mobile CPUs. And this is the notebook forum.

It will be late 2009 till you get to see a mobile i7 in a MBP.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2008, 10:25 PM

I thoguht the i7 was for the laptop. Don't they have a quad core cpu for the laptops now?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2008, 03:38 AM

I thoguht the i7 was for the laptop. Don't they have a quad core cpu for the laptops now?
Core i7 ("Nehalem") is the successor to C2D. It will be available in both desktop and mobile versions.

The first i7 to hit the market will be the desktop models (Bloomfield 965 XE, 940, 920 in November 2008) and the workstation/server model (Gainestown in 1Q09). The notebook variants (Auburndale/Clarksfield in 4Q09 and 1Q10) won't hit the market for another year at least. So we'll be sticking with 45nm Penryn for another while.

BTW, there are already two quad-core Penryns. The Core 2 Quad Q9100 (2.26 GHz) and the Core 2 Extreme QX9300 (2.53 GHz). So if you want quad-core mobile CPUs you certainly don't have to wait for i7.

Forum Links
Forum Rules