Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes info editing problem - please help!

iTunes info editing problem - please help!
bluesloth
Jun 18, 2011, 01:36 AM

When I select multiple items in the iTunes library and command-I to edit info, all but one item are changed. For some reason it won't edit my whole selection.

For instance, I import some audiobook files and bring up the info dialog. I then change the files from music to audiobook and change the name, album, etc. When I do that, there is always one file that doesn't change from music and retains the original name.

It seams like a small issue, but it is a pain when i sync a book to my iphone and a section of the book is missing due to this issue.

Any ideas?

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2011, 06:42 PM

If I'm understanding you correctly then I think I have the same thing sometimes. It has to be a bug, as it's so difficult to replicate.

It happens randomly to me (or at least it feels random) when I want to change the ID3 tags for one field (e.g. Album name). They all get changed bar one, as you've described.

What seems to fix it (and bring them all back into line) is to Get Info again, then change ANOTHER field as well.

For example - if I've gone from:
"The Eels" to "Eels" and it hasn't taken, I'll change it to "Eelss" (note that I'm changing it again - away from what I want) and the album name to "Souljackerr" (again, away from what I want by something small and easy to change).

I can't remember a time that that hasn't taken as expected. I'll then Get Info one last time and make the change back to the correct value. As you can see it's normally just repeating the final letter that I use.

I hope that helps and hasn't confused you further. It's late here and I've just been writing a doc for work that's a bit of a yawn.

bluesloth  (op)
Jun 21, 2011, 12:55 AM

I can get the one random leftover file to change, but I always have to do it as an additional step, after the others get changed. It is just really annoying and inconvenient and has caused problems when I think all the tracks got edited.

It's been like this for at least a year. I will probably do a clean install when Lion comes out and maybe that will fix it.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2011, 02:33 PM

FWIW I've reinstalled (for other reasons) several times and the bug stays with me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules