Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > An angry wife & inconsistent iCloud calendars

An angry wife & inconsistent iCloud calendars
Matthew Attoe
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2016, 08:41 AM

Hi,

I hope that someone can offer some help and assistance please. Apologies if this isn't the right forum but I couldn't find an iCloud realted one so this one seemed the next best thing,

I am having issues with iCloud syncing calendars between my Mac, my iPhone 5 (9.3) and my iPad Air (9.3). This has been going on since as long as I have had my devices and never worked reliably or consistently for me.

Very briefly, this has never worked reliably between my devices and new appointments wouldn’t sync in any direction to any device until I hard reset the iPhone/iPad (sometimes a normal power off would work but not very often) and then everything works for a while/few “tests” and then goes awry again.

Now, my wife (Gmail Apple ID) has just this weekend got an iPhone 5S and my son (Hotmail Apple ID) has an iPad 3 from a few years ago she decided to do Family Sharing to make use of the Family calendar functionality; I am the main Family member if that makes any difference.

Everything seems to work 100% for my wife’s iPhone (9.2.1) and my son’s iPad (9.2).

I tested this by logging into my iCloud account in Chrome web browser and watching the calendar. I add an appointment “Son’s iPad” and this appears in iCloud within a few seconds and also on to my wife’s iPhone again almost instantly. I set an appointment on my wife’s iPhone (Wife’s iPhone) and again straight into the iCloud calendar and on to my son’s iPad with no issues whatsoever. BUT nothing comes through to my iPad or iPhone.

So I set an appointment directly in iCloud “iCloud appointment” and yep, straight onto wife and sons devices but nothing on my iPad/iPhone.

So I set an appointment on my iPhone “My iPhone” and another appointment on my iPad “My iPad” and nothing appears in iCloud even after an hour, so obviously these appointments never get to my wife or son’s devices.

However, I then switch off my iPad/iPhone and power them back on (no hard reset) and Bingo! “My iPad” and “My iPhone” appointments appear straight in iCloud and out to all other devices straight away! I can then do some more tests and it appears to be working then all of a sudden it just stops for my iPhone and iPad but my wife’s and son’s devices work exactly as they should between iCloud and each other.

I can’t see it being a hardware error as I would have thought that it would never work even after a power cycle. Also, it affecting 2 devices would seem to be very coincidental.

Also, I can’t see anything different in my Settings as I would suspect that if there was some setting that was incorrect it would never work for me even after a power off/on.

The only remaining common denominator is my Apple ID – could it be something to do with this?

I did wonder whether to set up a new Apple ID but this would then be rather inconvenient having 2 Apple IDs just to get this working.

Any advice would be gratefully received as would be somewhere to stay if I can't get this fixed :-)

Many thanks in advance,

Matthew
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

P
Mar 28, 2016, 08:58 AM

In the Settings app under Email, Calendars etc heading, you can set how to fetch new information. By default it says Push, that the server will notify when there is new info. Try switching it to checking manually every 15 minutes or so and see if that helps.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2016, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
In the Settings app under Email, Calendars etc heading, you can set how to fetch new information. By default it says Push, that the server will notify when there is new info. Try switching it to checking manually every 15 minutes or so and see if that helps.
Is that a battery drainer?

Is the an FAQ on how to set up calendars across multiple devices? My wife also inherited a 5S when I upgraded to a 6S+ I would like to use our iMac as the "mother calander" and use that to manage appointment, events etc both iPhones and my Air. Is there a way to prevent replication of events from subscribed calanders? The same question for contact lists.
45/47

P
Mar 29, 2016, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Is that a battery drainer?
Supposedly, although I have it set up that way for all my non-Apple accounts where push isn't supported, and I have no problem. Worth a try anyway.

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Is the an FAQ on how to set up calendars across multiple devices? My wife also inherited a 5S when I upgraded to a 6S+ I would like to use our iMac as the "mother calander" and use that to manage appointment, events etc both iPhones and my Air. Is there a way to prevent replication of events from subscribed calanders? The same question for contact lists.
The way iCloud is set up is that the "mother calendar" is in the cloud, and I would guess that the FAQ is to just set it up and it should work (not saying it DOES, but that is clearly the intention).

You can hide any events from subscribed calendars, which would work to hide and replicated events.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2016, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Supposedly, although I have it set up that way for all my non-Apple accounts where push isn't supported, and I have no problem. Worth a try anyway.

The way iCloud is set up is that the "mother calendar" is in the cloud, and I would guess that the FAQ is to just set it up and it should work (not saying it DOES, but that is clearly the intention).

You can hide any events from subscribed calendars, which would work to hide and replicated events.
I'll check it out. I set up family sharing last night and added the Mrs' 5S. Ill have to add some events and see if the go out to the phones and the iPad.
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules