Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mac mini c2d 2.0 GHz with 1gb or 2gb of ram

mac mini c2d 2.0 GHz with 1gb or 2gb of ram
heboil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2008, 04:53 PM

I picked up an Apple Mac mini Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz with the stock 1gb of ram. I have used an old PPC mini at the office that we use for a demo machine. This is my first kick with a mac in a home environment. I like what I see so far, but the machine seems a little slow for my liking. I do most of my "heavy lifting" at the office, so I will just use this machine for web, photo and some home video work. It still seems slow when I have iTunes, Firefox with about 5+ tabs and maybe iPhoto running (or iCal connected to my Google calendar). I am assuming that these are ram related issues, but what kind of "jump" should I see moving to 2 gb... or 3 for that matter (2 +2 = 3 in this case)? I am a little hesitant about jumping up in ram because it leaves almost nowhere to go in the upgrade path (big PC upgrader in the past). Also, if I jump now, will the machine start slowing down in a year or two ala all my Windows machines? I thought maybe jumping to a Macbook with potential for even more ram, but I don't need a laptop... I am looking for a desktop replacement at home... and the laptop will be about $400-500 more. TIA.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2008, 05:10 PM

Definitely at least 2GB RAM. I got a 2GB stick that I put in my Mac mini shortly after I got it (leaving it at 2.5), it did make a significant difference. There wasn't much price difference between a 2GB and 2x1GB, and I figured I'd be better off with the extra 512MB than getting dual-channel boost of a matched pair.

bpl323
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2008, 05:04 PM

Might as well get 3GB if you're upgrading...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2008, 03:02 AM

You can get a 2 GB DIMM for $36 at Newegg. Replace one of your 512 MB DIMMs with that one and you're good to go.

Add another $19 and you're at 3 GB. I'd go with that.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 21, 2008, 04:24 PM

2 GB is highly recommended beyond the everyday word processing/low-end Photoshopping/etc. Even though I get by easily with just 1 GB in my MacBook and 1.25 GB in my iMac, most people will probably need the extra gig at some point, and RAM is pretty cheap nowadays, so go for the 2 GB.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2008, 05:03 PM

2. no question.

Forum Links
Forum Rules