Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 39)
Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2012, 12:35 AM

Holy deja vu Batman!

http://kotaku.com/5947066/ea-sports-cancels-nba-live-13

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2012, 05:12 AM

How is that possible? At this point they should develop it exclusively for next-gen systems and try to one up 2k, because that's all they have left.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2012, 06:57 AM

Every build they've come up with must have really, really sucked.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 28, 2012, 07:12 AM

Well, they've started from scratch twice. Goes to show how hard it is to make a good sports game.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Many photos and a hardware write up of the new PS3.
http://www.t3.com/reviews/sony-ps3-super-slim-review

I didn't realise that the PS3 slim was bigger front to back than the fat PS3.
The sliding door thing at the top just sucks. It really looks cheap. I wonder how much more expensive it would have been for them to just include a slop loading drive instead of this thing.

I'm actually in the market for another PS3, and i will not be getting one of these things. I like the size reduction a lot, but the entire design just yells out "cheap"..... and the price hasn't even changed.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2012, 01:53 PM

I'm also in the market for a PS3, both for a Blue-Ray player and for a certain kids game, no idea which one to get.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2012, 04:36 PM

Alright, I took the plunge and got the top-loading PS3 "Super Slim."

The top-loading tray might have saved Sony some bucks, but it has an old-school vibe that's actually difficult to hate. The only problem I have with it is that my entertainment console only has about a 4" slot to put my game consoles, not leaving a lot of room above the unit. When I hooked it up in my guest room, it called back memories to the PS1 and slim PS2.

While the price hasn't changed, you're actually getting a 250GB hard drive instead of a 120GB, so you're actually getting more bang for your buck (you also get Uncharted 3: Game of the Year Edition and Dust 514 perks), as well as a one-month membership to PS+.

Yes, that's the justification for no price movement that Sony is hoping we'll accept, but it should be noted.

IMO, the unit looks a lot better in person. I'm still not a fan of the ribbed top (obvious jokes aside), but the it was smaller and lighter than I thought it would be, so .

P
Oct 12, 2012, 04:12 AM

Nintendo posts their own teardown of the WiiU. Isn't that slightly...odd? The most interesting bit (to me) is that it includes a 32MB eDRAM cache for the GPU - enough to store the frame buffer and Z-buffer at 1080p, and thus reduce the memory bandwidth requirement to graphics memory by a lot (yes, I predicted this for future consoles a while back, thanks for remembering! ). Downside is that there seems to be only 1 GB of RAM for CPU and GPU together (with another 1 GB reserved for the OS).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 12, 2012, 07:12 AM

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/1...nt-a-big-deal/

The furor started earlier this week, when an enterprising hacker posted evidence to YouTube that Resident Evil 6 discs contained data for DLC including new attacks, multiplayer taunts, and a "No Hope" difficulty level. Capcom was vague about this hidden content at first, telling Eurogamer that some future DLC would use a combination of downloaded and on-disc content for "technical reasons." Then the company announced today that all the content on the disc would be available for free—either through a downloadable title update or by registering at ResidentEvil.com—and that any future DLC was not already on the disc.

One of the easiest complaints to dismiss surrounding on-disc DLC focuses on the idea of ownership. Because this DLC content exists on a disc that you own, some say, you should have the right to play it or do whatever else you want with it.

It's like arguing that you should be able to play a pre-loaded Steam game before the release date, or that you should be able to play the full version of a PSN game demo without paying to download the 6KB unlock file, simply because you physically control the game files that are sitting on your computer or console. Possession is not 9/10ths of the law here.
These are retarded examples. With a pre-load there is already an explicit understanding that it serves to mitigate wait time at actual release. YOu till purchase the product with the understanding that it will available a Date X.

As for the demo, again, the explicit understanding is that the developer/publisher is giving you a portion or set amount of time of the game for the purposes of judging it for purchase.

Here's my counter: Why don't developers label their games with a sticker that have DLC on disc?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2012, 09:57 AM

I agree with you on all that.

If it's done and shipped on disc the budget has been set with the rest of the game for purchase IMO. You are paying for a work that has already been done and paid for, if it shipped with the core content.

Personally I think they are only making it free because most now check to see if DLC is on disc, and call them out. If we didn't know you bet we'd be charged for it.

P
Oct 12, 2012, 02:33 PM

I think this entire DLC goldrush will come back to bite the publishers the same way air travel ticket prices have come back to hurt airlines - everyone will learn, and just wait for the $30 special with all DLC included.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 15, 2012, 09:57 AM

Don't feel like digging up the links, but BioShock Infinite is either done or ****ed – 7 or 8 high level people have left the project in the past couple months.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 15, 2012, 12:32 PM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2012, 12:59 PM

Hehe

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2012, 01:32 PM

I've seen a few with teeth.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2012, 07:37 PM

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5guNcA_p6UM[/VIDEO]

CAN NOT WAIT!!!

P
Oct 19, 2012, 01:20 AM

GoG adds Mac OS X support. Basically they have taken the old DOS games and used DOSBox to add a wrapper. This could be done before, but was finicky - now it just works. Also, The Witcher 2 just got a Mac release (on GoG and Steam), and they claim it is not the same old Wineskin garbage this time. Given that I managed to get through the never-ending crashing of the first one, this might be worth a try.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2012, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
GoG adds Mac OS X support. Basically they have taken the old DOS games and used DOSBox to add a wrapper. This could be done before, but was finicky - now it just works. Also, The Witcher 2 just got a Mac release (on GoG and Steam), and they claim it is not the same old Wineskin garbage this time. Given that I managed to get through the never-ending crashing of the first one, this might be worth a try.
Bit more info here : http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/10/good-old-games-now-on-good-old-os-x/

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 19, 2012, 09:56 AM

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/1...industry-back/
"You're kind of holding us back in many respects" he told the audience full of telecom operators from around the world (as reported by Telecoms.com and Total Telecom). "We have to worry about broadband when we should be thinking about making better games."

This is a big reason the console market in particular hasn't made a bigger push to an online-only model, Livingstone said. It's why the next generation of consoles will still be centered on disc-based media sold at retail.

Livingstone also pointed out the spread of broadband has yet to eliminate the scourge of lag in online games. To truly fix that problem, service providers will have to start delivering connections with latency of just one video frame, or about 40ms. That's still a long way off for most customers.
"The message is: build bigger pipes and we'll try not to fill them," he said. "ISPs, please do not rest on your laurels."

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2012, 07:38 PM

Pretty funny TV spot for NFS: Most Wanted. LOL

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D5IRprGcCI[/VIDEO]

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2012, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
YouTube PageCAN NOT WAIT!!!
I'm really pumped up for this game. It looks like a true sequel to Burnout Paradise.

So many games... so little time.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2012, 08:00 PM

Is anyone else getting NFS? It's out in 1 week.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2012, 08:01 PM

I'm not sure if you guys have seen it, but the newest trailer for Bioshock Infinite is out and all I can say is DAAAAAAMN!!!

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLHW78X1XeE[/VIDEO]

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2012, 09:45 PM

Nothing like Most Wanted, to me, it's more like Burnout 2. I never was a big Burnout fan, so I'm gonna let it go. Too much demolition derby and no car customization.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2012, 09:32 AM

I'm not sure if you guys have seen it, but the newest trailer for Bioshock Infinite is out and all I can say is DAAAAAAMN!!!
[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLHW78X1XeE[/VIDEO]
Dayum x 2
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2012, 06:27 AM

Yes, Bioshock Infinite looks really good! There seems to be alot of good games coming out the end of this year and the first few months of next year.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2012, 06:34 PM

Full song from the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4aaScgdXSQ

The iTunes link: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/nico-vega/id452712177

Aja Volkman's voice reminds me a bit of Fiona Apple.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2012, 11:56 AM

Is anyone else getting NFS? It's out in 1 week.
Got it tonight. Not finding it that intuitive using their menu system. Hard to re-do a race unless you've only just done it. Like the driving but I need to change sensitivity in game - no idea how.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2012, 12:44 PM

Surprised Dakar didn't get to this before me.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/45951/grand-theft-auto-v-is-coming-spring-2013.html

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2012, 12:46 PM

I should probably be fired from this thread. But yes, I saw GTA V is alive and Rockstar is wisely launching in spring again.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I should probably be fired from this thread. But yes, I saw GTA V is alive and Rockstar is wisely launching in spring again.
I don't play GTA... I'm a Saint's Row fanboy all the way. I'll wait for Saint's Row 4!
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 30, 2012, 06:20 PM

Just got NFS Most Wanted in the mail today and put a couple of hours into it. Damn, the level of detail is nothing short of amazing!

Metacritic average is 84.

NFS fanboys are bitching about not being able to customize the cars and no level progression. It is weird that you can literally just find the cars in the city and don't have to go through some sort of a progression to get them.

Anyways, when any of you decide to get it, lemmie know and we'll hit up some online challenges.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2012, 09:24 AM

The point of modding the car is being able to KEEP the car you like and try to max it out running against the big guys, not just get the fastest car of the bunch that you search for. That was one of the key features in the REAL Most Wanted. You started with limited funds, had to buy and build a car to take out members of the Black List. I liked was had a tricked out Supra that I could run 75% of the game, if I chose to, before I really had to switch. I decided what it looked like as well. Performance wise, I was running with Lamborghini's, Porsche's, and AMG's. This type of customization is no different than an RPG where you create your own character versus. having pre roles ones. Some of us like those types of games and without it, FOR ME, I see this as a set back. Customization is a feature I very much like in a game, especially driving games.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't make them a fanboy, so you might want to check that. There are lots of games out there, and not everyone is going to like the same thing or want the same features.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2012, 11:48 AM

Yeah, Saint's Row allows you to customize the appearance of your car too, but none of it affects the performance. A few options do affect the abillity of the car to withstand damage. As well, in Saint's Row, you can save cars, trucks and tanks in your garage, and save planes, jets, helicopters, VTOLs, jetbikes, etc, in your hangar or helipad. I don't think you could change the appearance of flying vehicles, though.

Oh, and I forgot, you could save jetskis and boats at your dock.
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2012, 01:45 PM

OK, I've come to the conclusion that NFS is a great game. Fun, oh yes. Points for being a hooligan on the roads - I like it.

Cars are pretty good, except the F-150 pickup. Think that I even saw a rifle in the back window. WTF?
ZR1 is great, Porsche is great, Maserati less great. Aston I haven't driven as much.

I only have 2 other friends who have played it so it would be interesting to know where I stand performance wise. KCrosbie, whats your GT?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Yeah, Saint's Row allows you to customize the appearance of your car too, but none of it affects the performance. A few options do affect the abillity of the car to withstand damage. As well, in Saint's Row, you can save cars, trucks and tanks in your garage, and save planes, jets, helicopters, VTOLs, jetbikes, etc, in your hangar or helipad. I don't think you could change the appearance of flying vehicles, though.
Oh, and I forgot, you could save jetskis and boats at your dock.
This is one of the main reasons I haven't touched GTA since I played Saint's Row. Plus you can create your own character and gang. Saint's Row is what I expected GTA 4 to be after getting a taste of customization in San Andreas. I liked GTA 4, I just had a LOT more fun with Saint's Row, and really look forward to that series more now.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2012, 06:00 AM

I'd need to play it for my opinion to be worth a damn, but I'm somewhat put-off by Saints Rows over-the-topness. GTA isn't exactly fodder for realism but Saints Row is so over the top I just can't stomach it.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2012, 10:09 AM

NFS Most Wanted : The Ariel Atom 500 V8 closely followed by the Caterham Superlight R500 are the most fun. They handle well and fly around the streets. They are however very weak.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2012, 10:17 AM

What's the kitten's opinion?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
What's the kitten's opinion?
He doesn't care what game I'm playing as long as he can chew the wires.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
He doesn't care what game I'm playing as long as he can chew the wires.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2012, 05:45 PM

KCrosbie, whats your GT?
KCrosbie

Add me as your friend and hopefully we can meet up. Gonna be hard with you living in France.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2012, 01:49 AM

KCrosbie
Add me as your friend and hopefully we can meet up. Gonna be hard with you living in France.
OK cheers. Yeah, the time difference will count against us but we'll see.

Went online last night. To a noob like me its very confusing. Thankfully a very kind player called BreakfastMuffin explained a few things AND let me drive the Bugatti Veyron (by crashing into me). I won't even try to explain.

So, you've driven a few cars in NFS. You've been impressed with the handling of the Merc. You've loved the top speed of the ZR1. You've used the Panamera to issue linebacker-like take-downs.

You have not lived until you drive the Veyron. It is that good. It makes all other cars seem tame. It handles, accelerates and brakes better than any other.

I also tried the McClaren, the Lexus LFA and the Viper. The Veyron is King.

The bad news is that there are some cars that are only unlockable by playing multi. And besides putting in an un-godly number of hours playing, Mr. BreakfastMuffin wasn't sure exactly what he did to unlock the better cars.

I've ordered a steering wheel along with Forza Horizons. We shall see if this helps.

========

Side note : 8 cars going at 200+ mph hosted by an American and I'm on a shit connection. NO LAG. Take note Activision/Infinity Ward.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2012, 06:01 AM

I suspect racing games have far fewer variables to juggle compared to the modern FPS. As long as the connection is stable, you should be fine.

Edit: I can't find if this hosted or P2P, which is an important distinction.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2012, 07:27 PM

You have not lived until you drive the Veyron. It is that good. It makes all other cars seem tame. It handles, accelerates and brakes better than any other.
I'm almost there to acquiring it. You have to beat the 3rd Most Wanted player in single player mode to get it.

One thing I noticed, Criterion got a little lazy with rehashing some of the areas that were from Burnout Paradise. You guys remember the air field in Burnout Paradise? Well the almost exact same set up area is in Most Wanted.

Still lovin' the game, however.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2012, 02:09 PM

Just been playing Forza Horizon. Great game. Not sure yet, but it might be that little bit better than NFS.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2012, 03:56 AM

Been playing Forza Horizon too. I like it so far, a few niggles from being a heavy FM3 and 4 player (no tuning). I haven't got the new NFS game but what I've seen of it does look like Burnout Paradise 2.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2012, 04:57 AM

I've heard another Forza 4 player say that he missed the tuning ability in Horizon. There is the upgrade ability in the garage though. I upgraded my Evolution as much as possible and then found that most races of my level wouldn't allow the upgrades. I only have 100K, need 2 million for the Bugatti.

You on XBL ajprice?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2012, 07:13 AM

Yeah I am, GT: Adrian Price

In FM4 I can use the tuning to alter the handling on a car, change gearing or add/remove downforce from the aero. In Horizon, you can buy the same race aero wing, gearbox etc but you can't adjust them. I'm far from an expert in the tuning, I use the ForzaTune calculator app, feeding in the weight, tyre size etc in and then setting up the, er, settings in the game. It did help my lap times in FM4.

I can understand why it's not there with it being open road over tarmac/dirt/gravel etc and not one track at a time, I just find it a bit of a limitif I want a car a bit less tail happy or whatever.

Oh and there's no drivetrain changes either, so I can't switch a car between front, rear or all wheel drive. A rear drive, engine swapped, turbocharged, city car is way more fun than it should be in FM4

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2012, 01:24 AM

Forza Horizon : So as you complete races, you get points towards a new bracelet (with a new colour) which in turn opens up more races.

I had completed the first level, spent money tuning my car, done a few challenges against other drivers while cruising around. All good fun. Last night I started the next level of races. And the fun factor went down rapidly.

I had to buy cars to drive in the races. Why? Why can't I use my car (downgraded if necessary) to drive in these races? Why allow me to tune my car if I can only ever use the fully tuned car on the road and not in races? Why, no matter what, do I start in last place, even if I have a good record? Why no matter what difficulty setting I choose, does everyone else accelerate away much faster than I do when starting a race?

Quite frustrating, I may slap in NFS again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules