Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Gmail Trick (Spam/Easy Filtering)

Gmail Trick (Spam/Easy Filtering)
lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2005, 03:41 PM

I heard a great Gmail trick from Kevin Rose. When you want to sign up for something that may spam you, you can give your Gmail address as myaccount+spam@gmail.com. It will still be delivered, but you can set up a filter (to: +spam) that will automatically move, label, and/or archive the message. In more general terms, you can use addresses like these to automatically sort and filter your mail.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2005, 03:57 PM

I have a dedicated Yahoo! e-mail address just for this SPAM purpose that I use when buying on-line, works great! I also have a few .Mac aliases that accomplishes the same task. It's always fun to see who promised not to sell the information to anybody else, yet I catch them because I'll get a SPAM e-mail to my .Mac alias of "newpurchasefrom<insert vendor>@mac.com"...busted!

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
I heard a great Gmail trick from Kevin Rose. When you want to sign up for something that may spam you, you can give your Gmail address as myaccount+spam@gmail.com. It will still be delivered, but you can set up a filter (to: +spam) that will automatically move, label, and/or archive the message. In more general terms, you can use addresses like these to automatically sort and filter your mail.

I still can't get my gmail to work with Mail.app anyone have any problems or workaround?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2005, 05:25 PM

he heard this on Diggnation btw Great Podcast:

http://www.diggnation.com

Digg.com rocks too!

http://www.digg.com

-Owl

lavar78  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2005, 05:29 PM

Did you enable POP access within Gmail? It works on my Treo 650.

Yes, I heard it on Diggnation. I have to admit I kinda like Kevin (and I like laughing at Alex). Still, TWiT is definitely my favorite podcast.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2005, 10:52 AM

Did you enable POP access within Gmail? It works on my Treo 650.

Yes, I heard it on Diggnation. I have to admit I kinda like Kevin (and I like laughing at Alex). Still, TWiT is definitely my favorite podcast.
Yeah that was it thanks lavar!!
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

lavar78  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2005, 11:26 AM

I aim to please.

"Dave, I don't care about making you jealous. I just care about pleasing your woman." - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2005, 12:07 PM

It also appears that it will work with just about any combination of [email protected], not just 'spam'.

So something like: [email protected] would be specific to the macnn forums, for example.

You could potentially use any number of combinations which would allow you to further filter out who's selling/leaking your email address.

Cheers.

Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2005, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal
It's always fun to see who promised not to sell the information to anybody else, yet I catch them because I'll get a SPAM e-mail to my .Mac alias of "newpurchasefrom<insert vendor>@mac.com"...busted!
I have been doing this for years as well.

Got a catch-all email address for my own domain, and I give out [email protected] as email addresses. Works well. Just needs a good spam filter. I'm pretty happy with Spamassassin.

-t

lavar78  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2005, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by legacyb4
It also appears that it will work with just about any combination of [email protected], not just 'spam'.

So something like: [email protected] would be specific to the macnn forums, for example.

You could potentially use any number of combinations which would allow you to further filter out who's selling/leaking your email address.

Cheers.
Read the last line of the original post. I said that.

OK, I guess you said it better.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2005, 12:55 PM

I have two gmail accounts (one for general internet usage_ and almost never get spam on either one. Same with the mac.com address. I've gotten like 2 spams in the last three months.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules