Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > ActionTech FiOS Router Bridge Mode?

ActionTech FiOS Router Bridge Mode?
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2010, 04:16 AM

I have FiOS but I don't use their router for my internet because... well my router is good and these actointech's suck. So my router plugs directly into the ONT in the basement. My actointech has Wireless disabled, and is plugged into my existing router just so my STB's can access the data. So I'm looking through the config, trying to find a way to put it into bridge mode. But of course, it uses lots of very obscure names for everything. So I can set up DHCP Relay on the Coax port. But once I do that, it asks for an IP address but isn't clear what IP it's looking for. So I tried entering in the IP of my real router, but that didn't seem to work. The more I poke around this router's advanced settings, the more confused I get. It's so poorly laid out, it actually makes me wish it was a Linksys!

So, does anyone know how I can set this up so that my STB's get IPs directly from my real router, just using the actointech as a bridge?

indigoimac
Senior User
Jul 13, 2010, 02:05 PM

Don't bother -- yes, at the moment, you've got a double nat on your stbs, but in my experience they don't care, and as far as I know you can still pass info from one side to the other. (OnD, Widgets, etc all stream from the stb to the actiontec to the primary router to the ont and back) And you can access the admin for either device from either side.

I've got an airport extreme connected via cat 5 to the ont with cat5 running to the actiontec wan it's setup to get ip from dhcp (staticly assigned from airport) and it then gives out the ips to the stbs over coax (moca) I haven't run into any issues and it's been over a year or so.

The main goal with the actiontec is getting it off primary routing duty (small routing table, generally mediocre interface, etc) as for the rest as long as it is only handling stbs performance is a kind of it either works or it doesn't given how slow they are anyway with processing info.

Alternatively you can cut the actiontec out completely with a nim-100 (might be nib) moca to ethernet bridge.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r200...ing-with-REV-D

There was a much more thorough set around when I looked at all the options including bridging, but I can't find it atm. One issue I remember was that if the actiontec lost power in bridge mode it would default back to the normal config, which would blow everything out.
( Last edited by indigoimac; Jul 13, 2010 at 02:13 PM. )
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules