Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBPs upgraded!

MBPs upgraded!
Simon
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 08:57 AM

Check it out, the MBP is now 2.0 and 2.16GHz!

And you can get it with a 'glossy' screen.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 09:09 AM

The update kinda made sense since you can get a 13" MB with 2.0GHz for just $1299.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2006, 09:31 AM

Oh dear this is going to hack off the early adopters. Can you choose 'No Whine' from the BTO page ?

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by WOPR
Can you choose 'No Whine' from the BTO page?
LOL.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by WOPR
Oh dear this is going to hack off the early adopters. Can you choose 'No Whine' from the BTO page ?

Hey! that's me yer talkin about. I'm not upset, my rev A MBP works great with no whine. I actually feel better today that I sold my last revision PB to get the first MBP actually. I can't believe the new Macbooks have such great processors. They are now considerably faster than the last revision PB just a few months back. The resale value of that PB is going to drop even more now.

amazing
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 11:17 AM

Anybody who bought a previous spec'd model within the last 10 days, should immediately call
Apple and ask for resolution: Either an upgraded model at no charge, or some other booty. For example, anybody who paid the extra $300 for the 2.16 GHz upgrade within the last 10 days should expect to get that immediately refunded.

I agree that it's good not to be an early adopter, exactly for reasons like this.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 16, 2006, 11:19 AM

You'll have to admit that this is a far cry from the old days when the PowerBooks would remain the same for months at a time.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2006, 11:38 AM

ugh. its my own fault I should of asked for the 17in (with me paying the difference). but as it were the replacement was sent out last week was the 1.83ghz. well I hope this upgrade does fix the whine. the woman in charge of my replacement has been really nice so if the machine has problems I am sure I can get it fixed or replaced.

I don't thing the early buyers will be that upset about the processor bump. I think most questions will be about the whine.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2006, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by amazing
Anybody who bought a previous spec'd model within the last 10 days, should immediately call
Apple and ask for resolution: Either an upgraded model at no charge, or some other booty. For example, anybody who paid the extra $300 for the 2.16 GHz upgrade within the last 10 days should expect to get that immediately refunded.

I agree that it's good not to be an early adopter, exactly for reasons like this.
I agree that its better to wait. I just get annoyed when people act like all people who bought a machine deserve to get treated like b-list beta tester. that's b-s, you are a consumer who bought an end user product and while few expect perfection, it should not ship with so many major issues. in the end tech moves so fast that most people are aware that something newer and better is just around the corner.

when my ibook broke I was screwed and thought that the best choice would be to get an intel machine. and now that the new macbooks are out I am glad I didn't get the ibook, but I wish that the MBP had not ship to me with so many problems. I don't even care about the processor upgrade, but I do hope these new mbps aren't as craptacular as the one I had.
Computers:

GrimStranger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2006, 12:46 PM

Arrrgh! I bought my 15' 2.0G MBP 3 weeks ago now Apple speedbumps it. Is there a way to get compensated or I'm screwed?

Kermy
May 16, 2006, 12:51 PM

Screwed most definately. I bought my 1.83 7 days ago and even I don't know if they'll do something in the form of compensation.
Powerbook G4 12" Combo

x user
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 12:57 PM

I know it totally sucks, I like bought this refurb MBP the other day, then they like totally upgraded the processor, I think they should like give me the 2.16GHZ one with the glossy screen just because... like totally.

/sarcasm

I'm pretty happy with my MBP purchase myself. It's fast as hell and I love it. Runs OS X and XP great, what more could a true mac lover want? "Oh that doesn't work the mac? Hold on a sec *reboots into windows* ok lets try it now." You should see the expression on those PC peoples faces! It's great!

Kermy
May 16, 2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by x user
I'm pretty happy with my MBP purchase myself. It's fast as hell and I love it. Runs OS X and XP great, what more could a true mac lover want? "Oh that doesn't work the mac? Hold on a sec *reboots into windows* ok lets try it now." You should see the expression on those PC peoples faces! It's great!
A "true" Mac lover would never boot into windows. *grin*
Powerbook G4 12" Combo

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Kermy
Screwed most definately. I bought my 1.83 7 days ago and even I don't know if they'll do something in the form of compensation.
I believe, I could be wrong, that if you bought yours less than ten days ago you are covered under apple's 'up to date' program.
Computers:

x user
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 01:16 PM

Not true, a "true" mac lover knows the advantages and disadvantages of both operating systems, and chooses to use Mac's and Mac OS X based on all the facts. Having the best of both worlds on a blazing fast laptop is like heaven for this person.

The ability to run in Mac OSX, have no antivirus, be able to hook up to the projector at school without having to tweak around in system preferences, run the awesome Keynote presentation. Then, when the teacher is at his wit's end with his windows laptop, boot into windows on my machine and do whatever it is he wants to do, and boot right back into Mac OS X where I feel safely at home.

A "true" mac Zealot is one who never boots into Windows for anything. I've been using macs since the 512K, but only recently have started using Windows for a few selected tasks (games being the most significant)

Kermy
May 16, 2006, 01:20 PM

Anyways, back on topic. I called the Apple store and if you're within 14 days they'll refund you the difference. So it looks like I'm getting $100-$200 back.
Powerbook G4 12" Combo

Dork.
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by GrimStranger
Arrrgh! I bought my 15' 2.0G MBP 3 weeks ago now Apple speedbumps it. Is there a way to get compensated or I'm screwed?
You're screwed w/r/t Apple, but if you bought it on a credit card your CC company may have a price protection plan.

trinlyovarin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2006, 05:09 PM

They definitely give you the refund but if you're within the limit, ask them for an updated machine. I was waiting on my second MBP RMA to come in and called today to complain, but they not only refunded me $200 (not sure why, the difference is only $100) and said my new machine will be with 2.0GHz. So call and ask for an update... if they refuse, get a refund and buy it again. It's your right...

Now hopefully I'll get a machine built more recently which hopefully won't burn my poor lap.

Darkfire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2006, 12:27 AM

Well, I am a little over a month. AMEX has Price Protection for 60 days for a refund up to $250 per case, but unfortunetly for me that benefit is only offered for Gold Card members along with other cards and I paid using a Blue Cash card so I am out of luck there and its surely too late for Apple to consider helping me out. I dont care about upgrading to the 2.16, just angry the price of the 2.0 dropped $500 a month after I got it.

Considering upgrading to the Gold card just for this benefit since I can def see it coming into use with all the electronic purchases I make.

fowler
Forum Regular
May 17, 2006, 01:52 AM

I bought mine around 13 days ago and they refunded the difference today.

I was really pissed this morning when I found out they were $200 cheaper, but that frown turned upside down once they took care of me
[font=verdana]2.16 macbook pro | 2gb | 7200 rpm | 2405FPW[/font]

trinlyovarin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2006, 03:38 AM

Is it $200 cheaper? The Canadian version is only half of that... I paid $2099 and now it's $1999 but Apple is refunding me $150 "because my order was DOA".... even though it wasn't dead.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by mister
Well, I am a little over a month. AMEX has Price Protection for 60 days for a refund up to $250 per case, but unfortunetly for me that benefit is only offered for Gold Card members along with other cards and I paid using a Blue Cash card so I am out of luck there and its surely too late for Apple to consider helping me out. I dont care about upgrading to the 2.16, just angry the price of the 2.0 dropped $500 a month after I got it.

Considering upgrading to the Gold card just for this benefit since I can def see it coming into use with all the electronic purchases I make.
It's not exactly $500 cheaper per se. The previous 1.83 model with 128mb of video memory and 512mb of included ram was bumped to 2.0 but it appears none of the other specs changed. You are still getting twice the included video ram and twice the system ram by having chosen the "old" 2.0 Ghz model. The glossy screen is a gimicky thing to me but I guess some really like it so its good to have the choice. You would only be totally screwed if you had chosen the old $300 upgrade for the 2.16 chip which is now included. It doesn't sound like you did.

It looks like no one is gonna have the absolute latest machine for more than a few months anyway.

Darkfire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2006, 09:54 AM

K, I didnt realize the memory was different, I thought they just reduced the 2.0, 1GB to $1999.

khufuu
May 17, 2006, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by amazing

I'll have to call for sure as I've only just got my MBP. It does kind of piss me off though that the new MB is almost the same but the price difference is so large!!??

sllowry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 02:17 AM

Apple will piss more new users off before it can make them satisfied, it seems. Welcome to the Intel world.
Refuse to be Average
MBP 15" 2.0GHz, 2GB Ram, OS X 10.4.6

ChrisF
Senior User
May 18, 2006, 08:18 AM

Amazon will give price protection for 30 days after purchase- their price on the previous model 2.0 was lowered to $2399. I called and was able to get $100 refunded.

pete
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 08:44 AM

I didn't realize that about Amazon, though I'm not surprised given how good they are in general to buy from. Nice!

Harry Schaefer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2006, 03:51 PM

I am in the process of ordering the 17" MPB and there has been a drop of about 200 in Canada in part attributed to exchange but I notice the higher end received the best percent reduction

GrimStranger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2006, 12:53 PM

Just an update. I email'd Amazon customer service about this and they refunded $100. I'm happy with this.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 02:03 PM

this is the right answer...

but those with GPS's are in heaven with Mac's windows boot capability.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Forum Links
Forum Rules