Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which macbook for college student?

Which macbook for college student?
cavfan314
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2006, 06:21 PM

Hey all

I start college in a couple of weeks and need a laptop.
I don't plan on doing very much serious computing in college-I'm looking at some sort of liberal arts/humanities major, not graphics/artistic stuff- and I don't see the need to get anything fancy.

My original plan was to just go for the bottom of the line, 1.83 ghz macbook.
However, my school recomends at least the 2.0 ghz mac w. increased hard drive and RAM. The salesperson I talked to at Mac also strongly discouraged me from getting the cheaper mac. I should also note that its not my $$$, but I dont want my grandmother to have to be more generous than she may like.

Do you all think it's worth the investment? I realize this issue has already partially adressed in the 1.83 vs. 2.0 ghz thread, but maybe you can add some insight.

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2006, 07:11 PM

Well as per the other thread it comes down to - do you think you'll need/want a DVD burner? Whether it be for backing up your work, or transporting large files (do you like downloading videos off bit torrent etc?) or, um, backing up your own DVDs etc.

If the answer is yes, then get the 2.0ghz.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

praxela
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2006, 07:30 PM

If it's going to be your only computer I would recomend the 2.0 too. I'm still paying the thing off so I haven't upgraded my ram but for regular normal use the 512 works well. I got the 60gb too and since i store everything on my PC i just stream my music over iTunes so that isn't a problem but you might want to upgrade that. Also you can upgrade the ram yourself to 2gb for $160 so do that instead of buying it from Apple.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2006, 07:36 PM

i too would go with the middle model and upgrade the ram from newegg or outpost (80 bucks for a gig usually). i dont think the hard drive space is THAT necessary for college use, and with a dvd burner...you could just burn your backups here n there to conserve hard drive space. but i got through all my college years (just finished) with a 1ghz powerbook with only a 40gig drive and no dvd burner and i AM a graphic designer, so im sure if i could go through all of school with that, then the low model will get you through as well. dont let sales people tell you whats best for you, ask yourself instead.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2006, 07:46 PM

Get the lowest-end MacBook and upgrade the RAM and hard drive yourself. If you need to back up your laptop, using an external hard drive is more practical than using a Superdrive.

bryoung
Forum Regular
Jul 29, 2006, 08:59 PM

What f1000 said...

I own the 2.0 Intel iMac and the 1.83 MacBook. The 1.83 is a very fast machine and for basic every day use it is great. If you want a larger hard drive buy one online and get a firewire case for the 60 gb. I would definitely up the ram to a gig.

B.
24" iMac 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo ~ 20" iMac 2.0GHz Core Duo ~ 13" MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo

SLiMeX
Senior User
Jul 29, 2006, 10:52 PM

I am a second year college student, my MacBook replaced my Compaq Presario 1600 (don't look it up, its horrendus.) and I can't wait to bust this out in class.

Anyways, I also do a bunch of GarageBand stuff, I plan on purchasing.upgrading to Photoshop CS3 when it comes out, and I also utilize my DVD burner. I'd definately go for the 2.0 if you plan on doing any such stuff, as stated above, but unless you have the money or like the color, don't get the black.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

Ouhei
Jul 29, 2006, 11:02 PM

I'll be a junior when I start back in the fall, I got the 1.83 because I had no need for the superdrive (I rarely back up, though I should). I might get an external later to use for more storage/back up.
Macbook - [1.83] - [2gig] - [60gig] - [White]
iPod Nano - [2gig] - [White]

crzdc0l0mbian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2006, 12:08 AM

o yea really dumb question but why should i have more ram?? and how important is video memory because i was thinkin of getting the macbook but its video card seems crappy just 64 mb shared?

SkaGoat
Jul 30, 2006, 12:43 AM

I would go for the 1.83 (and did) and max out the RAM, it'll be a much better use of the cash.

The shared video shouldn't be a problem with your uses.

With Mac OS X the more RAM the better. It'll make a much larger difference in performance than the 1.84 vs. the 2.0 would.

Arju
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2006, 01:45 AM

Get the 1.86 if you are on a budget...

I'm a student and I went with the 2.0Ghz for the Superdrive... on the go DVD burning is handy for me. I still got 2GB of RAM though

Remember Applecare is a MUST on these machines... for resale value and for the support/warrenty.
Notebook: MacBook White 2.0Ghz | 2GB RAM | 120GB HD | Superdrive
HTPC: AMD 3800X2 | Asus A8N-SLI Premium | 2GB RAM | Asus N7800GT | 900+ GB of Storage | Sony 60" Grand WEGA
iPod Video 80GB

Thraxes
Jul 30, 2006, 01:49 PM

Well, if you are on a budget I would also suggest getting the 1.86, sell the RAM (if you can) and get 2x1GB sticks off crucial or newegg (seem like the places to go if you live in the US ), get an external 2.5" Firewire enclosure and a nice big Harddrive and do all the swaps yourself.

If you need a DVD burner down the line, a Firewire 5.25" enclosure is cheap and DVD burners dont cost that much either nowadays, just buy it when you need it.

I think this will serve you much better then the upgrade to 2GHz which you may or may not notice. Probably won't notice unless you do some Video work.
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

crzdc0l0mbian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2006, 02:25 PM

if i get the ram on crucial will that void the warranty?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2006, 02:59 PM

nope...and neither will upgrading your hard drive. i gotta agree with the rest. if you dont need a superdrive...go with the low end.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

katy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2006, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by cavfan314
My original plan was to just go for the bottom of the line, 1.83 ghz macbook.
However, my school recomends at least the 2.0 ghz mac w. increased hard drive and RAM. The salesperson I talked to at Mac also strongly discouraged me from getting the cheaper mac.
Don't listen to the salesperson! They're only wanting your money

Like the others have said, go for the 1.83 Ghz and upgrade the RAM. Thats what i went for and i'm using photoshop as well as some flash.

masugu
Senior User
Jul 30, 2006, 05:56 PM

If you are an incoming freshman (sorry if I missed that) Get the Max you can. The book will then last you (until you break it - or it gets stolen) Vs. you running out of steam in your Sr year.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2006, 07:59 PM

^ Lousy advice!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2006, 08:00 PM

Go low end, for sure. But you will want at least an 80 GB hard drive. You'd be surprised at how much space seemingly disappears.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2006, 01:41 AM

Do not buy Apple's ram. Instead buy generic ram from NewEgg.com or OWC.com

Get the point?

Forum Links
Forum Rules