Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook Vs MBP vs Memrom on heat issiue

Powerbook Vs MBP vs Memrom on heat issiue
crzdc0l0mbian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2006, 11:45 PM

im need a labtop for school but im scared cause the MBP is just too hot, i use my gfs in a while and if its left on for more tahn an hour and half its extremly hot. Will memrom chips make the new MBPs warmer? I had a Powerbook and it never got that hot, had a 800mhz one... lasted me a real long time. Any way should i buy a 1.67 ghz powerbook online or wait for memrom or just get a MBP. Money isnt really a problem because i got a good intership with the irs that pays very well. I am more intersted in not getting burned.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2006, 11:51 PM

Merom has about the same TDP as Yonah, so it shouldn't cause a change in termperatures.

A few people who had their logic boards replaced due to the whine have reported that the new computer runs much cooler than before. I would assume this new logic board revision would be used going forward with Merom.

I can't see buying a G4 PowerBook at all... it's so dated and crufty. Can't even play HD H.264.

crzdc0l0mbian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2006, 12:22 AM

thanx alot mduell... yea because my powerbook is so old and i and i am runing the 1st version of os x because im afraid that if i update it it will break or something..

the macbook looks cool and i would like one but its ever hotter than the pro and I dont like the keyboard of that it doesnt light up.

Im going to wait till monday and if they dont annouce the updated mbp im just going to buy one.

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2006, 01:35 AM

PB-800 will run the latest versions of OS X just fine. My old Ti-400 running Tiger does just fine for its present owner. Tiger's what I'd try right off, though I'd wait till WWDC in any case...just in case some new configuration comes out (but don't count on it...)

Check out the reliability report at macintouch.com, where the most trouble-free MBP is the 17". Personally, I'm waiting for the 2nd generation of the MB, which I hope will allow the choice of a matte screen.

crzdc0l0mbian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2006, 10:50 AM

i had an old emac, and when i updated it from OS 9 to 10.3 the screen stop working, and so did the cd player, thats why im afraid to update my old powerbook

masugu
Senior User
Aug 5, 2006, 11:03 AM

It's sad when an old mac won't start up after sitting...My G3 Pismo laptop simply won't tutn over. Not sure what to try. It was running OS 9.2 :-) Sorry. I know this is the MBP forum.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2006, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by masugu
It's sad when an old mac won't start up after sitting...My G3 Pismo laptop simply won't tutn over. Not sure what to try. It was running OS 9.2 :-) Sorry. I know this is the MBP forum.
This is a PowerBook/MBP Forum, not just MBP
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

masugu
Senior User
Aug 5, 2006, 11:09 AM

Sweet, so I can piss and moan about my Pismo. Thanks Velocity! I still like that old laptop with the bronze keyboard and the interesting black curves. It was eavier than a mo-fo though.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

crzdc0l0mbian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2006, 01:42 PM

yea my emac died , and my powerbook is almost dead, Im using my dads emachine... yuck... its fugly.. I told my brother to buy him a mac mini but he thought it would be too hard for him to use.

Any way if i buy a MBP today will it come with the new logic board thats less hot?

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by crzdc0l0mbian
I told my brother to buy him a mac mini but he thought it would be too hard for him to use.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Forum Links
Forum Rules