Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > MobileMe, totally un-apple...

MobileMe, totally un-apple...
x user
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 02:53 AM

I was really looking forward to MobileMe coming out to replace my .mac account, I thought it would work seemlessly with my work. I just fired it up for the first time, and the only thing that is working is the e-mail. I can't figure out how to get calenders to sync, much less contacts? Why couldn't Apple actually integrate this stuff before they launch it. This product feels VERY beta-ish to me.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2008, 03:18 AM

Because Apple bit off more than it could chew, with worldwide launches of app store, 2.0 software, iphone3g, etc.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

John Cahill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2008, 03:46 AM

Sad! It is the same with iMovie 08. Something seems to have change in the design direction of Mac geniuses... and it is not encouraging... yet anyway. Maybe it has something to do with me being a dinosaur... but they have to take that into account to. I am one of many dinosaurs.. with a little cash to spend... sometimes... emphasis on "little"

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 09:52 AM

I echo Randman's sentiments. They tied to do too many things at the same time and the quality of all of the products suffered. If they staged the roll out so that each product was feature complete and fairly bug free, we'd not be posting about the lack of features and/or horrendous roll out.

As for me, because of this, I'm so far underwhelmed. I was going to go with the google apps because I need a calendar that the wife and I can share and update. Once apple unveiled mobileme in June I had thought this was just the ticket but given the lack of support of IE6 (my uses a PC) and problems related with mobileme, it looks like we'll be going with google instead of apple.

x user  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I echo Randman's sentiments. They tied to do too many things at the same time and the quality of all of the products suffered. If they staged the roll out so that each product was feature complete and fairly bug free, we'd not be posting about the lack of features and/or horrendous roll out.

As for me, because of this, I'm so far underwhelmed. I was going to go with the google apps because I need a calendar that the wife and I can share and update. Once apple unveiled mobileme in June I had thought this was just the ticket but given the lack of support of IE6 (my uses a PC) and problems related with mobileme, it looks like we'll be going with google instead of apple.
Well, Using Mozilla on a PC is probably a better idea than IE6 anyway. That aside, I have NO idea how to get all my iCal/Address book stuff INTO my "Cloud" so I can use the push features. I'm starting to suspect that since i don't have an iPhone or iPod touch, I can't do it....

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2008, 12:12 PM

Both IE 7 and Firefox are better choices than IE 6.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2008, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by x user View Post
I have NO idea how to get all my iCal/Address book stuff INTO my "Cloud" so I can use the push features.
System Preferences->MobileMe->Sync

x user  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 01:17 PM

My system prefs still had .Mac, of course, the software update came up with the update as soon as I clicked on it. Surprised that it came out this late. I just ran software update on friday.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 01:52 PM

Actually, even after the mobileme update, it still says ".mac" at the top of the System Preferences pane.

Edit: It finally updated completely, and now seems to have gotten rid of .mac entirely.
( Last edited by slpdLoad; Jul 14, 2008 at 03:04 PM. )

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2008, 02:41 PM

It says "MobileMe" for me everywhere in the System Preferences pane as far as I can tell.

Even before the MobileMe update turning on Sync in the then .Mac preferences pane would have synchronized your data with MobileMe.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Both IE 7 and Firefox are better choices than IE 6.
Maybe so, but the majority of companies (at least the ones I know about) are still on IE6 and many of them limit who can install what on their computers. So I'm at work, and I want to check my email - I could last week, this week I cannot because of the IE6 issue. I think that sentiment will be a common one.

I'm lucky because I'm an administrator so I have a little more flexibility when it comes to the freedom of installing software.

Personally I think its a mistake by Apple to shut out a lot of users and even those on IE7, get a warning that basically says you can use IE7 but you really shouldn't when you try to log into www.me.com

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2008, 08:21 PM

Apple isn't shutting out those users — their company is. If your company is forcing you to use a horrible Web browser, complain to them about it. Explain that security and standards support are good things. I don't think it's fair to blame Apple for how badly IE 6 sucks. Blame Microsoft and the people forcing you to keep using outdated software.
Chuck
___

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 09:51 PM

sorry to disagree but right now, we've found that IE6 works for our applications but IE7 has issues.

While you may think its horrible, we have been running applications on IE6 for years without any problems and my company like others are not too over-joyed about spending $$ in testing just to see if there's any compatibility problems and fixing those problems. Especially when budgets are getting

Besides Apple is shutting them out by purposely excluding IE6

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2008, 10:29 PM

sorry to disagree but right now, we've found that IE6 works for our applications but IE7 has issues.
That's not so much a testimony for IE 6's quality as it is for the fact that IE 6 and your applications rely on each others bugs.
I doubt that. MobileMe features some rather sophisticated Web 2.0 applications. It's very well possible that it was very difficult to impossible to get those running in IE 6.

x user  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2008, 03:40 AM

I got most of MobileMe's stuff working with my macbook pro (10.5.4) finally, but now it's killed Mail and Address Book on my G4 tower (10.4.11, 466mhz), both will do one bounce, and not start up. Also the MobileMe update doesn't show in the 10.4.11 software update pane. Either they pulled it or it's 10.5 only.

Beta testing that costs me money sucks, this reminds me of Windows ME (no pun intended... really)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2008, 04:20 AM

It seems much more likely that your applications have issues — probably because they were written assuming they'd be run in IE 6, which was buggy. Your applications are like an addict who has become dependent on his drug to function normally.

While you may think its horrible, we have been running applications on IE6 for years without any problems and my company like others are not too over-joyed about spending $$ in testing just to see if there's any compatibility problems and fixing those problems.
The people at your company should have listened when everybody was telling them not to focus on IE 6's broken implementation of the Web in the first place. It's an objective fact that the way IE 6 did things was wrong — even the IE developers admit that. Whoever wrote applications that depended on that wrongness made a mistake (or at very least a choice with trade-offs), and that mistake is the cause of your problems now. I understand that doesn't really help you (and I'm sorry for that), but I think blame should go where it belongs.

But even if some essential applications depend on IE, your IT department should let you use Firefox (or some modern browser) for everyday browsing.

That's what I'm trying to say: They're not purposely excluding anyone. MobileMe is built on SproutCore. SproutCore depends on proper support for Web standards, which IE 6 did not have. Apple isn't purposely excluding IE 6 — that defunct version of IE just isn't good enough to run the technology.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Jul 15, 2008 at 04:27 AM. )
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules