Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Express + 1TB, Time Machine?

Airport Express + 1TB, Time Machine?
x user
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2009, 01:27 AM

A couple weeks ago I set up a Time capsule for a friend/customer. Being impressed with the whole Time Machine thing, I figured I'd plug in a 1tb HD to the EXTREME at home at start using Time Machine. But it doesn't recognize the network disk in the Time Machine list. I tried the 'show unsupported disk' in the terminal, but nothing worked.

Any clues?
( Last edited by x user; Apr 23, 2009 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Extreme, not express...)

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2009, 01:37 AM

I don't believe Airport Express supports external hard drives. The USB port is only for printers: http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/specs.html

x user  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2009, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
I don't believe Airport Express supports external hard drives. The USB port is only for printers: http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/specs.html
Doh, I meant extreme, not express. It's a 802.11N extreme.... Stupid names...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2009, 02:45 AM

Although the AP Extreme (the same goes for TC) support disk sharing for disks attached to the USB port, TM doesn't support those kinds of disks. If you want to have TM use a remote disk you need to use a TC and its internal disk.

The refurb store has the 500GB TC for $239.

ibook_steve
Apr 23, 2009, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Although the AP Extreme (the same goes for TC) support disk sharing for disks attached to the USB port, TM doesn't support those kinds of disks. If you want to have TM use a remote disk you need to use a TC and its internal disk.

The refurb store has the 500GB TC for $239.
Not true. Time Machine does support Airdisk. It didn't in the first release of Leopard, but it does now. If you can connect to the disk as an Airdisk in the Finder, try turning TM off then back on with the switch in the TM system prefs and then click Change Disk to pick the Airdisk.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2009, 03:42 AM

^ Correct.

As of 10.5.6, Time Machine supports backups to disks attached to Airport Extreme base stations.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2009, 04:02 AM

Yeah, you guys are right. I hadn't tried it with 10.5.6. Good to know.

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2009, 04:39 AM

Remember to format the disk as Mac OS X Extended Journaled using Disk Utility before attaching. I run such a setup for half a year now.
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMini™ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 23, 2009, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Yeah, you guys are right. I hadn't tried it with 10.5.6. Good to know.
I have to admit that I only lightly skimmed the "what's new" text for the 10.5.6 upgrade, but I just carefully read it. It doesn't say anything about AirDisk, and doesn't mention anything about external drives and TM. It does mention improvements for AirPort:
Improves the reliability of AirPort connections, including improvements when roaming in large wireless networks with an Intel-based Mac.
In other words, it was easy to miss this improvement. Assuming it came with 10.5.6 rather than an earlier update.

I guess this says we sort of have to "test" all the limitations we run into with every new update? Kind of unpleasant. And I gotta read those "what's new" lists thoroughly in the future...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ibook_steve
Apr 23, 2009, 11:55 AM

It came in an earlier update: 10.5.2, I believe.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

x user  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2009, 12:05 PM

Ok, the error: It wasn't formatted as Journaled... now it works. Odd thing: It's still considered an "unsupported volume". Worked fine on my machine (which had unsupported volumes on) but not my Dad's which didn't. Once we turned unsupported volumes on his on, it worked.

Much more difficult than the time capsule, and much slower backing up, but I'll live, and it's cheap.

Thanks for the help.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I guess this says we sort of have to "test" all the limitations we run into with every new update? Kind of unpleasant. And I gotta read those "what's new" lists thoroughly in the future...
Tell me about it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules