Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Not Happy: No Airport Extreme for my iMac G4

Not Happy: No Airport Extreme for my iMac G4
orac1e
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2005, 11:25 PM

So I finally got a wireless DSL modem, and today I started to look for an Airport card that used 802.11g that was compatible with my iMac G4 800Mhz (17"). I called my nearest Apple Centre (I'm in Australia, by the way) and they said there was only ever an Airport card (802.11b) not Airport Extreme for my iMac, and that card was now obslete!

People wonder why Apple gets a bad rap for non-expandability. I can't even get a wireless card that will connect me to the current standard wireless protocol on a computer only a few years old. Hell, I could put an 802.11g card in my P3 450 and get it working, and that's even older. Doesn't this seem a little counter-intuitive to you?

So if I want 802.11g on my iMac, what options do I have? Wireless access point? I'd prefer not to have another powered device I have to move around when my iMac moves. Is there a Firewire-powered wireless access point I could use?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2005, 01:13 AM

uhhh....the reason you can't put APX is because 802.11g wasn't introduced when your computer was built. The iMac isn't sold as an upgradeable machine so I don't see how you could be surprised at this. As for your issue, why exactly do you need 802.11g? The only benefit you would get with APX over just a regular AP is sending files between two computers. As for your basic web surfing, the speeds should be almost identical. Sorry if I sound like a jerk, having a lousey day.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2005, 02:39 AM

Just like iREZ said, you gain virtually ZERO bandwidth improvement between the two wereless protocols, as far as web surfing is concerned. For file transfers, .11g is much faster.

orac1e  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2005, 07:13 AM

Yeah iREZ... I should also apologise if I sounded like a jerk. Just wasn't happy with the run-around I was given by an Apple reseller, and subsequent frustration in what initially seemed like what would be a simple task. I figured the expansion port in the iMac was just a typical networking expansion, and therefore a card that utilised the newer protocol wouldn't be such a hassle.

Secondly, I'm well aware that my internet speeds wouldn't suffer greatly. In fact, I work for an ISP so I can assure you when I read 11Mbps, I know how fast that is. That said, I do transfer and stream movies and music between my PC's and my iMac on a semi-regular basis so I would suffer from the slower transfer speeds. Given also that my iMac usually resides in my upstairs bedroom while the other PC's and the wireless modem are downstairs, I would suffer a bit of signal degradation resulting in even slower speeds.

Ideally, if there is such a device as a Firewire-powered wireless access point, that would suffice. Does anyone know if/where I can get one? If not, maybe I can use this to justify getting a new iMac or Mac mini

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2005, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by iREZ:
uhhh....the reason you can't put APX is because 802.11g wasn't introduced when your computer was built.
That's not the best of reasons. I've got 802.11g running on a 9yr old laptop (laptops being about as upgradable as iMacs)

drive-thru
Senior User
Mar 14, 2005, 09:34 AM

I had a look for 802.11g USB/Firewire adaptors.
Found this from Belkin but I don't think mac compatible.

Another option would be to find an external PC card slot which connects through Firewire to your mac (I don't know if these are available) and put a mac compatible 802.11g PC card in that.
Or you could run a big network cable or settle for 802.11b - Airport cards can be found on eBay selling for more than they originally cost, or you can get a USB 802.11b D-Link adaptor.

hudson1
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2005, 09:52 AM

At a very minimum, you can go with Wireless Ethernet. Here's Linksys' version for 802.11G, other manufacturers such as D-Link make them, too.

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=36&prid=603

In the USA, the original Airport Card is available from several sources for around $70. It might be a bit more difficult to find them in Australia but I wouldn't give up on that.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2005, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by drive-thru:
I had a look for 802.11g USB/Firewire adaptors.
Found this from Belkin but I don't think mac compatible.
The iMac would need to have USB2 in order to get speeds higher than 11mps

orac1e  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2005, 07:50 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm tossing up between getting a wireless ethernet access point, or selling my iMac and buying a new one... The latter being very tempting after using one and realising the speed difference compared to my "obselete" G4 800Mhz.

Hopefully Apple is doing more these days to future-proof their products. If the expansion slot in my iMac simply connected to a 100Mbit networking bus, that probably would have allowed them to support any advancements that were to be made with the wireless networking protocol.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2005, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by orac1e:
The latter being very tempting after using one and realising the speed difference compared to my "obselete" G4 800Mhz.
And what happen when it suddenly obsoletes?

kikkoman
Senior User
Mar 15, 2005, 09:38 AM

A possible solution is get an airport express which support 802.11g and connect to your iMac via ethernet. I'm sure this will work with an Airport Base Station but not sure about your specific wireless dsl modem.

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2005, 03:47 PM

Just get a wireless "bridge" or "ethernet converter", they plug in your ethernet port. Every major wireless brand has one and they should cost the same as your Airport card. Some can even act as "repeater", extending the range of your other base (like Buffalo).

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2005, 08:24 AM

Standard Apple Airport cards are all over the internet for $67 to $100, ebay too. Just buy one.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2005, 01:19 AM

take a look over at xlr8yourmac.com and see what they have to say... the USB Airport adaptor issue has come up before

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Clockwork Mango
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2005, 09:56 PM

You can get a genuine NEW Apple Airport card (802.11b) from Memory Solutions... prices fluctuate, but usually around $70 US.

http://memorysolutions.com/76neworapaic.html
There are only two kinds of people: people
who believe there are only two kinds of
people, and people who don't.

Forum Links
Forum Rules