Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I just sold our two iPhones...

I just sold our two iPhones...
Heavy Fluid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2008, 05:52 AM

Background: Wife and I purchased two iPhones in early April. Fell in love with them. Had AT&T service before hand for a few years. Service steadily declined, enough to the point of 5-7 dropped calls a day. We lost service in our house. Called in to AT&T to open a trouble ticket. AT&T replied back a week later, said everything was fine in our area. Not so.

Started shopping for other providers. Had Sprint, won't go back. Verizon is king here, but I hate how they cripple their phones. Well, we broke down, and are trying Verizon on a trial run. So far, spectacular service.

I am shipping the iPhones out today. I am going to miss your Apple goodnes, the touchscreen, the cool icons, the quirky random shut downs, and the recessed earphone plug.

Seriously, I will miss it. AT&T, even with that new iPhone, you need to get it together.
In a barrier free world, who needs Windows™ and Gates?

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2008, 07:24 AM

AT&T is having real trouble with short-term memory.

All it can remember is the "good-ole-days" (40 years ago) when it was a total monopoly.

Unfortunately the AT&T psychosis that comes from this memory loss seems to be contagious to other telecoms. *NONE* of them (on this continent at least) seems any more to believe that it needs to bother with customer satisfaction. :/
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2008, 07:43 AM

I'm no fanboy of AT&T and I have a blackberry on their network and I cannot recall any dropped calls. Since this a phone provided by my company, I have no dealings with their service department, so I cannot comment on that.

I don't think any cell phone company has it all together. I've had my share of problems, and issues with my personal phone and that's with verizon. Whether its billing problems, or connection issues or slow customer service. I'm frustrated by their lack of quality control and service. I believe they will need to get their act together because AT&T with the iphone will be eating verizon's lunch in no time.

lexapro
Baninated
Jul 1, 2008, 07:54 AM

AT+T is constantly ranked the worst service (both technical and customer) by Consumer Reports.

Keep the iPhones but unlock them and use them on Verizon. I fired ATT 5 years ago and will never, ever go back.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by lexapro View Post
Keep the iPhones but unlock them and use them on Verizon
I believe Verizon uses CDMA and AT&T uses GSM, not sure if the 3g stuff plays into that but regardless. The networks are not compatible which means you can only use AT&T or T-Mobile with an iPhone

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2008, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Love Calm Quiet View Post
*NONE* of them (on this continent at least) seems any more to believe that it needs to bother with customer satisfaction. :/
And by having this unified stance, they make it true.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2008, 09:37 AM

It's funny, I have the exact opposite experience. I used to live in Columbus, OH and AT&T had the best service in that area (2003). Whenever I would visit my family in northwest Ohio, AT&T had little to no service. Since I was only visiting and not living there, it didn't bother me so much. Well, in that 5 years, AT&T bumped up their service and now I get 5 bars on my phone anywhere in their house, which never happened before.

As for dropped calls, I've experienced it but mainly because my parents have Alltel and their service isn't so great.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid View Post
Service steadily declined, enough to the point of 5-7 dropped calls a day. We lost service in our house. Called in to AT&T to open a trouble ticket.
Oh, nobody has told you yet ?

Michigan is going out of business. They're shutting it down.

Sorry, dude.

-t

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2008, 12:21 PM

I’ve had AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon. The customer service was terrible with all three, but Sprint was by far the worst. It was the last straw with Sprint when they called me on my cell phone to harass me about a bill I had just payed and made defamatory comments about me. When I called to complain about the incident, they accused me of lying about it.

I've had T-Mobile for about four years now and their customer service has been stellar.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2008, 12:48 PM

Sprint is a notch below AT&T when it comes to customer service.

My friend has T-Mobile and he gets better reception than I do with AT&T.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

finboy
Jul 1, 2008, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Sprint is a notch below AT&T when it comes to customer service.

My friend has T-Mobile and he gets better reception than I do with AT&T.
See, I had fantastic service with Sprint, from 2001 to 2004, when we moved to the one place in a 50-mile radius without Spring coverage. Switched to cingular for two weeks (that cost me) and then to Verizon. Not too bad with Verizon, but then I don't ask for much either. Sprint, as I said, was a great provider back then (in the Washington DC area). Go figure.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2008, 01:57 PM

Obviously, there isn't one universally great cell phone provider, otherwise, the rest would be out of business.

I've read horror and praise stories about all major providers.

-t

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2008, 02:03 PM

Every time someone sells an iPhone, Baby Jesus cries.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 1, 2008, 02:22 PM

Location, location, location. I get stellar service from AT&T, and have since I first moved to them about 4 years ago. I use a blackjack, all is great. My roommate uses a T-Mobile Dash(and before that some other HTC smartphone) and gets crap reception in our house.

I'm generally not disappointed when relying on customer service for ANY product, because I go into it thinking they suck. Sometimes they surprise me.
ice

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2008, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I've read horror and praise stories about all major providers.

-t
Yep.

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Location, location, location.
And here is why.

Forum Links
Forum Rules