Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Music Recommendation: Sing-a-Longs and Lullabies for the Film Curious George

Music Recommendation: Sing-a-Longs and Lullabies for the Film Curious George
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2006, 01:34 AM

I finally decided to buy the "Sing-a-Longs and Lullabies for the Film Curious George" album on iTMS, by Jack Johnson.

I love most kinds of music from almost any era.... but THIS is what music aught to be in my opinion. If your sick of ass-n-titties, bling-bling, teen idols, one hit wonders and people shouting about stuff that doesnt really matter all that much, check out Jack Johnson (or any of his friends). This album is very 'light hearted'...nothing too serious. Very good chill-out music (especially for hippies like myself )....

So check out the single (and video from this album) "Upside Down". The video reminds me of that old disney video where the guy is walking through a cartoon singing about blue birds n stuff. then theres the "sharing song", "3 Rs" (reduce, reuse, recycle) and "Lullaby" & "My Own Two hands" which sounds very Simon&Garfunkle-ish.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the music.

Cheers

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2006, 01:49 AM

Jack Johnson is great. Haven't bought this album yet, but I listened to a lot of it already through mp3. I plan on grabbing it so my baby can listen to it when she's born in a couple weeks! We have a bunch of Curious George stuff in her nursery, it's was kind of our theme.

The track My Own Two Hands is actually a Ben Harper song. He's great too.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 14, 2006, 02:50 AM

Jack Johnson is great!

oh, and I still have a Curious George stuffed toy that (used to) plays music when you spin the little dealy thing.
ice

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2006, 03:20 AM

As a friend put it to me, "Jack Johnson is like dragging your feet slowly down a beach at sunset." His music is very chill and easy to listen to without being trite or simplistic. In fact, I'd say his In Between Dreams album has some very poignant and delightful lines.

andi*pandi
Jul 14, 2006, 08:53 AM

we bought this when the movie came out, got a bit sick of it due to lots of radio overplay... but will probably rediscover it and enjoy it again.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 14, 2006, 10:06 AM

'A Pirate Looks at 40", originally sung by Jimmy Buffett was awesomely covered by JJ. Check it out.
ice

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2006, 10:33 AM

We've been using his "Upside Down" song in church for a few weeks. Didn't realize who it was.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2006, 10:51 PM

You sing Jack Johnson songs in church? May I ask what denomination?

I highly recommend pretty much all of Jack's work. I started with On and On, and I agree with Jim Paradise - Jack is very poignant at times. He actually has a soul, some honest feelings about serious subjects, and is not afraid to show it.

Note about Upside Down: this song uses the same music as Jack's "Walk Alone," a fairly sad song that I had to dig hard to find; it's not on the iTunes store that I know of. When you hear the music to it, though, you notice it really is the same. It doesn't seem like it was ever commercially released, though, so I can't knock Jack too much for revisiting a tune he made earlier.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2006, 10:58 PM

We were using part of his "Upside Down" song as a bumper.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2006, 11:32 AM

Yeah. his lyrics are really poignant... one of my favorites is "Gone". His music is simple, melodious and meaningful.

Cheers

P.S.>> have any of you guys baught the "Upside Down" video off iTMS ?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2006, 12:01 PM

I'm a huge fan of Jack Johnson. I'm a laid-back guy, so his music fits my mood 95% of the time. I had to stop listening to him on late-night road trips though. I kept driving off the road onto the warning track from dozing off. If you love acoustic guitars and chilling out with your music, Jack Johnson is incredible.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2006, 12:56 AM

I have not bought the Upside Down video, is it really that good? You sound like the biggest advocate for purchasing a music video that I know

Forum Links
Forum Rules