Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Video+Audio iChat with Macbooks?

Video+Audio iChat with Macbooks?
iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2006, 01:52 PM

Hi all,

I have tried using the built-in iSight on my MB to chat w/my bf on his MBP and built-in iSight. The video works fine. However, I can only hear him for a few seconds after connection starts then the audio drops out.

Is there a way to set iChat so that we can see video and hear voice simultaneously?

Michelle
Powerbook G4 17" 1.67Ghz 2GB 120GB SD DL. Mmm. Sexy.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2006, 02:02 PM

It should work fine as you want it to anyway.. So evidently something is amiss. It is most likely to be network settings somewhere.. Check the firewalls on both Macs, and in any modems/routers you are using.
It may be that one or both of you need to allow a few ports.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

iChelle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2006, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the reply. Could you please elaborate a bit on that?

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2006, 04:06 PM

To elaborate on the firewall ports, I recommend this article: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93208

By default, if all of the proper firewall ports are open, iChat should keep both Audio and Video in sync. There are no settings in iChat that I'm aware of that can adjust this. I've done numerous A/V iChats, and whenever I have a connection issue, the firewall is generally the first thing I check.
I gotta have more cowbell.

iChelle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2006, 04:19 PM

Great info, thank you! I will fiddle around with this tonight and report back. I'm thinking the problem lies on my bf's end since his router is not an airport...we'll see...

iChelle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2006, 01:01 PM

Hi again,
Well, we still are experiencing the audio dropping in and out. Very frustrating. However, I tried connecting my MB to the internet via Bluetooth+cell and we tried iChat that way and I was able to hear him and him me just fine. Weird...however, given that my dsl speed isn't the greatest (since I'm very far from the main tower), I guess it makes sense...

I'll keep trying.

iChelle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2006, 07:58 PM

Hi all,
So frustrating. We still cannot hear each other. Strangely, I tried the tethered-Bluetooth-to-cell internet connection and we were able to hear each other (but the video quality was very poor). What should the settings in the preferences be to allow for optimal audio/video streaming?
Thanks in advance
iChelle

Saltire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2006, 07:13 AM

You might want to try testing iChat on each of the machines with Apple's test servers. Hopefully that'll narrow down where the connection problem is (i.e. if it is with one of the machines in particular).

To test with Apple's servers add one or more of the following buddies into your buddy list, then start a video chat with them (they play looped Apple ads) - appleu3test01, appleu3test02, appleu3test03.

iChelle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2006, 12:19 PM

hey thank you that's great advice. will try it and check back.

edit:
i tried all of them. i can hear audio and video just fine! so what's wrong w/my audio connection when i iChat w/my boyfriend? i am connecting at the same place (airport wifi at home)

rom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2006, 10:11 AM

iChelle, were you able to solve this issue? I am having a similar problem -- iChatAV between a 15" MBP and a 15" Powerbook with iSight - video works but audio is intermittent - one way from powerbook to mbp. However, after a shutdown and/or using QT Pro to record a movie (with sound) on the MBP, it will work. HELP.

iChelle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2006, 04:15 PM

Sorry, Rom, I still haven't resolved it...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2006, 05:39 PM

It cannot be a firewall issue, since the connection works - initially.

Forum Links
Forum Rules