Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > transferring apps between profiles

transferring apps between profiles
iChelle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2007, 06:02 PM

hi all
lets say i have profile a which has adobe cs installed. then on the same computer, profile b is installed. is it possible to move adobe cs and/or preferences installed from profile a into profile b?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!
Powerbook G4 17" 1.67Ghz 2GB 120GB SD DL. Mmm. Sexy.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2007, 06:58 PM

Are these theoretical profiles separate users? If so, In the Users folder there's a folder called "Shared." If you drag a file there from one user, other users are able to access it, but only the original user has permission to alter it. It's possible to change the permission from the finder's 'Get Info' window, but I'd suggest using the terminal. Navigate to the shared directory with this command:
Code:
cd /Users/Shared/
Now list the files in that folder by typing 'ls' and hitting return, then take a look at the name of the folder that you put there.
now enter the following command:
Code:
sudo chown -R yourshortusername foldername
Of course, you need to replace yourshortusername with...well...your short user name. And in place of foldername put down the name you found when you used the 'ls' command. It should ask for your password and once you enter that it will fix the permissions so that the new username will be able to alter the files.

iChelle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2007, 07:30 PM

is there any other way around it other than terminal?
Powerbook G4 17" 1.67Ghz 2GB 120GB SD DL. Mmm. Sexy.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 07:56 PM

As long as CS is installed in the default applications folder, all users will be able to access and use the program, unless the admin specifically denies it thru the System prefs. As for actual/individual preferences, those are stored in each user's "library" folder
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 08:42 PM

You shouldn't have to do anything special to make this work. Install CS normally, and all users will have access to it.

ImpulseResponse

Forum Links
Forum Rules