Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari's Failure To Connect To TypePad

Safari's Failure To Connect To TypePad
MikeXRyan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2015, 02:44 PM

I've been running this question repeatedly over in the Apple Discussion forum for months without one response. I'm now stepping away from Apple, frustrated with their failure to even monitor their own forums, and turning here for assistance.

Using Safari v8.0.3. Viewing a TypePad website and attempting to provide a comment results in a 404 Error. This doesn't happen with any other Mac browser from FireFox, Sea Monkey, Chrome, and others. ONLY in Safari. I don't know if it is a setting problem, a bug or just poor programming but here goes:

Using the latest release of Safari visit any page on this site: Gay News | Gay Blog | Towleroad

Go to any article and click on the Comments section. Try posting a comment, even if it is a "test with Safari" then hit the post button. For me this results in

"What happened? The page you visited could not be found. What can I do?
If you believe you've reached this page in error, please check the web address URL and try again. If you are the owner of this site, please visit Typepad Status for network updates or open a ticket from within your account. If you are unable to open a ticket, please contact us via [email protected]."

When I use Firefox or Sea Monkey or Chrome this error does not appear and my comment is posted.

Does anyone have an answer or guess as to what the problem may be?

ibook_steve
Feb 15, 2015, 02:51 AM

Unfortunately, I can't help you with your problem (caching issue?; maybe reset Safari?), but you should know that the Apple forums are community forums, not support forums. So you'll never see Apple respond in one of them.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

MikeXRyan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2015, 07:33 PM

Thank you *ibookSteve for the advice of resetting Safari but Apple has removed the RESET button in Safari 8. You can manually disengage anything plugged in to Safari and that's where your problem is.

Mouse up to the "Go" top menu selection, and hold down the Option/Alt key. Magically, the Library folder will appear, which you'll need to click on, and go in to. The file path should be something along the lines of /Users/YOURNAME/Library.

Inside this are folders that you'll need to adjust. Go to Application Support is one of them look for Trovi or Conduit. These files will hijack your browser, block features or cause other havoc.

Once you've located files associated with the program, Command/Delete them.

No go back in the Library and look for the Internet Plug-ins plist. Delete it.

Close these folders up and restart your machine. Safari should now work as it was programmed to work.

(and it did for me).

Forum Links
Forum Rules