Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > New phone setup questions

New phone setup questions
andi*pandi
Jan 5, 2018, 09:34 PM

I got an otterbox Symmetry case in silver specks for the silver iphone8.

While I wait for my phone number to port so I can be completely setup.... should I set up as a completely new phone, or use the itunes backup from the 4s?

advantages: settings, apps, etc
disadvantages: inheriting a lot of culch I don't need

It's a 256 version so plenty of space, but wondering if it's worth starting over ? I'm thinking of photos that I've got in the desktop, etc. Photostream never has worked completely for me.

andi*pandi  (op)
Jan 7, 2018, 06:00 PM

In case anyone else cares, setting up as a new phone worked well for some things. I didn't mind picking and choosing which apps to reinstall. Mail and contacts worked great.

However, text messages did not come in with any history, even after turning on syncing. I have messages sync'd with ipad and desktop, so thought they would carry over, but nope.

That was kind of a dealbreaker, so after calling apple he encouraged me to use the 4s backup. Now the phone is a cluttered mess, but I have text messages.

Is there no way to get messages otherwise? I googled and got many references to 3rd party apps, but have no idea how reputable.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 7, 2018, 06:07 PM

Text message history is something I "need" for several reasons. The problem is that I have literally years and years of that history, and while some of it can be deleted, there's a lot I want to save.

Until I find a really useful app to go through those backed up messages and turn them into coherent transcripts, I'm probably going to have to use old phone backups every time I upgrade a phone...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andi*pandi  (op)
Jan 8, 2018, 11:20 AM

They don't seem to realize folks are using it more for real conversations, not just "get milk and eggs from store".

Any way to delete 2000 photos from a phone besides selecting them one at a time?

Forum Links
Forum Rules