Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook on Airplane

PowerBook on Airplane
MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 08:21 PM

How come in the tech specs for the 12" powerbook (and the 17") it says the maximum operational altitude is 10,000 feet? How are you supposed to watch a movie or use it on an airplane? Is this just one of those things the company suggests that doesn't really mean anything? I hope to be getting one soon, and this isnt the deciding factor or anything, but i was just wondering.

spec sheet: http://a1728.g.akamai.net/7/1728/51/..._DS_012003.pdf

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2003, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
How come in the tech specs for the 12" powerbook (and the 17") it says the maximum operational altitude is 10,000 feet? How are you supposed to watch a movie or use it on an airplane? Is this just one of those things the company suggests that doesn't really mean anything? I hope to be getting one soon, and this isnt the deciding factor or anything, but i was just wondering.

spec sheet: http://a1728.g.akamai.net/7/1728/51/..._DS_012003.pdf
I don't know the exact number but the passenger cabin is pressurized well below 10,000 feet. The spec means you shouldn't use your PB on a mountain above 10,000 ft.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2003, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by msuper69:
I don't know the exact number but the passenger cabin is pressurized well below 10,000 feet. The spec means you shouldn't use your PB on a mountain above 10,000 ft.
You mean I can't burn DVDs from atop Mt. Everest? That does it, I'm getting a Dell!

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2003, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
You mean I can't burn DVDs from atop Mt. Everest? That does it, I'm getting a Dell!
Actually, the maximum operating altitude for a Dell notebook is also 10,000 ft.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jan 10, 2003, 09:55 PM

ROTFL!!!

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 11:03 PM

thanks for the info, i wont worry about taking it on a plane with me.

Another question now... figured i'd reuse this thread instead of starting a new one. Will any 12" iBook case work with the 12" PB? i know they are similar dimensions, but will a tight-fitting case for the iBook be loose with a powerbook in it? i only ask this because the only ones i've seen so far are the brenthaven ones on the Apple site that are considerably more than i'd consider spending on the case. The one im thinking of is the Marware SportFolio 2 - designed for the iBook. They dont have a case for the new powerbooks yet. Or should i just wait and assume that there will be a slew of new cases shortly by the time the notebooks are actually available?

Thanks,
Max

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2003, 11:08 PM

Dude....

The new 12" PB has the same dimensions as the 12" iBook. The only difference is that the 12" is made out of Aluminum. So go ahead and buy your 12" iBook case for your PB.

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2003, 11:08 PM

Another question about PowerBook's on planes; in post-Osama America, has anyone had a problem with their TiBook beyond the usual laptop visual inspection and boot-up process? I had heard somewhere that titanium is one of the scents that bomb/contraband-sniffing dogs are trained for. Maybe that's why Apple switched to aluminum . . .

As for operating altitude, what do Day In The Life or other feature photographers do with their digital gear if they need to use it, say, on Mount Whitney or at the top of some European cable car run?

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by buffalolee:
Dude....

The new 12" PB has the same dimensions as the 12" iBook. The only difference is that the 12" is made out of Aluminum. So go ahead and buy your 12" iBook case for your PB.
i know they're close, but the PB is smaller on every dimension by a little bit, so i didnt know if that would detract from the protection at all.

Matsu
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 11:20 PM

I think there are still lots of manual cameras in operation in extreme environs. I wonder why many laptops are only rated to 10,000 feet? If it's just a spec rating issue (like class B or whatever) or if the thing actually starves for cooling air way up high like that, I can't think of an electrical reason why it shouldn't work, but iDunno much about this sorta thing. Anyone?
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 11:23 PM

it might have something to do with the hard drive. I think they're pretty well sealed to prevent dust from getting in, so the changing air pressure might cause problems.

rtdunham
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2003, 11:30 PM

I've been through probably a dozen security checkpoints since 9/11 with my TiPB 15 and I haven't had a problem yet. I can't remember the last time they even asked me to turn it on. They just wipe it with a sensor that would detect explosives, and then send it (and me) on our way.

BTW, I just flew two flight segments to Expo with my 15, trying to work on one flight and watch a dvd on the other, and boy, was the screen-hitting-the-seat-in-front annoying. It's great apple finally brought out a 12". I just hope they bring the specs & feature set up a little.

terry

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 11:36 PM

i bet Osama would be a windows user, so they dont bother checking the Macs

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2003, 12:00 AM

Dude....

Uhh.. actually as the pictures and specs have pointed out so clearly that the PowerBook G4 is not only thinner and lighter its also smaller in every dimension.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2003, 04:46 AM

Dude....

Actually, the iBook 12" is almost 24% larger in volume than the 12" PowerBook (about 137 cu in versus 110.5 cu in). This means if you're looking for a tight fitting case or sleeve, don't get an iBook case. If you don't really care how tight it fits, then the dimensions are close enough.

Karim
Senior User
Jan 11, 2003, 12:49 PM

Travelling in a modern airliner, your cabin altitiude will usually never exceed 8000 feet, unless of course the little oxygen masks drop from the overhead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules