Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ADC Shipments on 17" PB

ADC Shipments on 17" PB
Arch.
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2003, 07:23 PM

I talked to some guy at the ADC # and he told me to expect my powerbook by the begining of next week. He said I should get the tracking # this weekend. He also said that a big shipment was scheduled to got out at the same time mine does. think he is full of ****?

Moose
Senior User
Mar 28, 2003, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by Arch.:
I talked to some guy at the ADC # and he told me to expect my powerbook by the begining of next week. He said I should get the tracking # this weekend. He also said that a big shipment was scheduled to got out at the same time mine does. think he is full of ****?
Depends on when you ordered. I ordered 1/29. Original OOB of 3/27. Today it changed to 5/1. Called, and the guy said "Late April."

I was speechless long enough that he followed up with a "Sir?"

I then asked why orders placed after mine had already been delivered, which he didn't have a good answer for ("I'd thought that it was FIFO, but I really have no information regarding that.")

So yeah. Apple sucks, etc.

What's really sad is that this whole episode is making me turn into one of the Ric Ford Pitchfork-n-Torch villagers.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2003, 10:31 PM

Yikes...I hope that's really not true. I know that I do not wanna be waiting 'til "late April" on my 17" PB. Why are ADC orders getting shoved back? Keep us informed on your shipment date Arch.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

fuzz_ball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2003, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
...Why are ADC orders getting shoved back?...
I think the answer is pretty simple: Apple makes less on ADC orders, so why not make the full-price paying customers happy first. Plus maybe you'll get 1 or 2 ADC customers that pay full-price at an Apple store because they "just couldn't wait any longer!"

Of course I'm probably just being cynical...

doyouflip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2003, 11:15 PM

I ordered through ADC too. My OOB date is 4/1. I really needed this computer for my job (NEED, not want) so I had to go to the store and get one. Luckily they had one left. For the record, it wasn't nearly as exciting as receiving the one I've been waiting 9 weeks for--not that I'm complaining.

With sales tax and all, I figure I paid about $900 more than through ADC. Anyway, I'm going to let my ADC order ship (whenever that happens) and sell this one since my ADC contract says I can't sell that one.

It really is frustrating not knowing when these are going to ship. Like everyone else, I wish there were more rhyme and reason to Apple's system.

Such is life

[edit]
Just read fuzz-ball's message....Yup, that's me. I'm one of those suckers. Anyone want a gently used 17" in a few weeks?

Arch.  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2003, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by doyouflip:
I ordered through ADC too. My OOB date is 4/1. I really needed this computer for my job (NEED, not want) so I had to go to the store and get one. Luckily they had one left. For the record, it wasn't nearly as exciting as receiving the one I've been waiting 9 weeks for--not that I'm complaining.

With sales tax and all, I figure I paid about $900 more than through ADC. Anyway, I'm going to let my ADC order ship (whenever that happens) and sell this one since my ADC contract says I can't sell that one.

It really is frustrating not knowing when these are going to ship. Like everyone else, I wish there were more rhyme and reason to Apple's system.

Such is life

[edit]
Just read fuzz-ball's message....Yup, that's me. I'm one of those suckers. Anyone want a gently used 17" in a few weeks?
Hi,
Will you keep me informed of your order status? We have the same OOB dates. I hope the wait is coming to an end...I really need my laptop.

mginsberg
Mar 29, 2003, 12:33 AM

This same type of thing happened with the 12 inch PowerBook a few months ago. I ordered mine on day two of the keynote. A few weeks later, they started showing up at Apple Stores, these were for sale units. It didn't make much sense. Except, that Apple already had my order and they were trying to get new ones and drive more sales to their stores.

My advice, is to find out what time of the day your Apple Store gets in stock and call them daily. If you go in and pick one up, just cancel your order.

Good luck!

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2003, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by mginsberg:
This same type of thing happened with the 12 inch PowerBook a few months ago. I ordered mine on day two of the keynote. A few weeks later, they started showing up at Apple Stores, these were for sale units. It didn't make much sense. Except, that Apple already had my order and they were trying to get new ones and drive more sales to their stores.

My advice, is to find out what time of the day your Apple Store gets in stock and call them daily. If you go in and pick one up, just cancel your order.

Good luck!
It won't quite work this way, if you do that, you forfeit your ADC Discount, which is the reason we didn't go to the retail store to begin with.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Arch.  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2003, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by mginsberg:

Good luck!
Why the hell would I want to give up my discount? Apple should not offer deals like this and then not fill the orders in a timely process. If I am willing to design product and donate my time to them through the ADC program then they had damn well better fill my order by the OOB. The fact that people are walking into stores and buying makes me livid. Orders should be filled in the order they were received discounted or not.

digitalpimp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2003, 01:44 AM

Hi,
Will you keep me informed of your order status? We have the same OOB dates. I hope the wait is coming to an end...I really need my laptop.
Me too. Ordered 1/17. OOB of april first. Nothing yet, so I'm HOPING that I get a tracking e.mail this weekend. I probably shouldn't have said that cuz I might have just jinxed myself.

Anyway, Yeah I'm pretty pissed off about it too. I would think that if someone orders a product, you ship it to them when their name comes up, not when "you feel it's OK to send it to the person that got it for less money that wants to DEVELOP PRODUCTS TO MAKE YOUR COMPANY MORE SUCCESSFUL!"

ichibod
Mar 29, 2003, 01:46 AM

Anyone heard of any ADC orders being shipped? I'm in my two week span starting this monday (4-6 weeks) OOB 4-14-03.

digitalpimp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2003, 02:17 AM

Originally posted by ichibod:
Anyone heard of any ADC orders being shipped? I'm in my two week span starting this monday (4-6 weeks) OOB 4-14-03.
yep:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=152155

Moose
Senior User
Mar 29, 2003, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Moose:
Depends on when you ordered. I ordered 1/29. Original OOB of 3/27. Today it changed to 5/1. Called, and the guy said "Late April."

I was speechless long enough that he followed up with a "Sir?"

I then asked why orders placed after mine had already been delivered, which he didn't have a good answer for ("I'd thought that it was FIFO, but I really have no information regarding that.")

So yeah. Apple sucks, etc.

What's really sad is that this whole episode is making me turn into one of the Ric Ford Pitchfork-n-Torch villagers.
Heh. So I wake up this morning, and Mail kindly informs me that I have new mail:

Dear Apple Customer,

The following products shipped on 03/29/2003. Transit time will
depend upon whether you have chosen standard or premium freight
options. If your order is shipping standard freight, it should arrive
within 2 - 5 business days of shipment.

Yay. They estimate 4/2, which is, I guess, time to clear customs in Anchorage. Works for me.

beanman
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2003, 09:56 AM

Anything on educational discount folks like myself?

I want happy apple email too....

PowerBook 17" | 1GHz | 1Gb RAM | 60G

cutter_311
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2003, 10:09 AM

I too recieved the:
Dear Apple Customer,
The following products shipped on 03/29/2003....email today.

The ACD shipments appear to be under-way.

Ordered: 2/8
OOB: 4/8
Never get into an argument with an idoit. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience...

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2003, 10:30 AM

BEAUTIFUL!!!!! My ADC "On or Before" Date is 4/7/03...hopefully this weekend...
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

digitalpimp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2003, 11:20 AM

Me too!!!

Dear Apple Customer,

The following products shipped on 03/29/2003. Transit time will depend upon whether you have chosen standard or premium freight options. If your order is shipping standard freight, it should arrive within 2 - 5 business days of shipment.

M8793LL/A PBG4 17.0/1GHZ/512/60G/SD/AP/BT-USA 1 2,639.00
With the following configuration:

Z05M_B_PROC 065-3719 1GHz PowerPC G4
Z05M_C_MEM 065-3722 512MB DDR RAM - 1 DIMM
Z05M_D_HD 065-3716 60GB Hard Drive
Z05M_E_OD 065-3718 Super Drive
Z05M_F_KIT 065-3713 Country Kit/Airport
Z05M_G_OS 065-3712 Keyboard/Mac OS

Still no extra batter shipping yet, but that i can wait until whenever for.

-Mark

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2003, 11:20 AM

OMG! EVERYONE!!! IT'S ALMOST HERE!!!

Well, kinda, but I'm flipping out nonetheless! Just after hearing about so many ADC orders going out today, I hung my head and did my hourly routine of checking my online Credit Card account to see if anything had changed, and I almost broke the legs of my chair as I leaped up after seeing my Credit Limit had dropped substaintially (about $3,000!)!! So I grab the phone and call up my credit card people and ask if Apple Computer has placed a charge for around 3 grand on it, and sure, enough, this morning they DID!!!!

So that means my 17" PB *should* be shipping out within 72 hours...for you guys that just got tracking #'s, did your PB ship from Taiwan or from within the U.S.? I'll keep you guys posted on when I receive my tracking number! The wait is ALMOST over! WOOHOO!!!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

digitalpimp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2003, 11:30 AM

I ordered 2 day air on mine whenever i placed the initial order but i think it got upgraded somehow:

Service Type IP Direct Distribution
Estimated Delivery Date 04/02/2003 by 10:30

Scan Activity Date/Time Comments
Arrived at FedEx Ramp/TA YUAN HSIANG TW 03/29/2003 19:51
Pickup status/TAOYUAN CITY TW 03/29/2003 14:47 Package received after FedEx cutoff time

I dont know why it says before 10:30, that sounds like priority overnight to me...

-Mark

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2003, 11:33 AM

Awesome! Then what was said in that other post is probably true; that people that are delayed this far back are getting Overnight service for free! WOOHOO!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

digitalpimp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2003, 11:38 AM

Yep, I just logged into their website and checked to see if my shipping method had changed, and it now says priority overnight. I originally had 2 day, but someone else said they had standard ground and it was upgraded to overnight. I'm gonna call and get my twenty bucks back that I paid extra for 2 day shipping That'll teach them not to make me wait so long haha

-Mark

ichibod
Mar 29, 2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by digitalpimp:
Yep, I just logged into their website and checked to see if my shipping method had changed, and it now says priority overnight. I originally had 2 day, but someone else said they had standard ground and it was upgraded to overnight. I'm gonna call and get my twenty bucks back that I paid extra for 2 day shipping That'll teach them not to make me wait so long haha

-Mark
Mine has not been delayed, but its says mine is standard shipping, but it should still be in my hands on the 2nd. Although I did order 2 day shipping when I placed the order AT LEAST IT SHIPPED =D

cutter_311
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2003, 02:15 PM

Mine is shipping from Taiwan also; and missed the Fedex cutoff time. But it too got the upgraded transit. I opted for whatever the cheapest was when I ordered(ground?). My shipment shows an ETA of 4/2.
Never get into an argument with an idoit. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience...

bob_hearn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2003, 02:44 PM

Just got my shipping notice!!!

FYI, for those doing comparisons:

Ordered on 2/27, through ADC.
On or before date was 4/8 until today, when it shipped!
Standard configuration, not BTO. (3rd party RAM is cheaper, even with the ADC discount!)
Battery is still on or before 4/22.

Arch.  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2003, 02:51 PM

I got a tracking # too today! Thank god the wait is over! Sounds like I shouldnt have paid for overnight and maybe they would have upgraded me for free. I am soooooo happy.

doyouflip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2003, 03:28 PM

Me too. Mine's on its way.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2003, 05:00 PM

Oh this is great for all you guys and gals,

I think apple is a little screwed up right now. Reason for saying(other than the 17" powerbooks): I ordered a new battery for my 12" and I called wednesday to check the status of the order, apple says it's on backorder and dont have any in stock, ok I wait.Yesterday I got the new battery from airborne. HMMMMM! Apple said that my order hasn't been shipped yet but it here Again HMMMMM! So it's not just the 17" powerbooks it's everything, from the battery to the 17 incher. Good to hear everyone is slowly getting the books. AssassyN let us know before you explode to so we can take cover first.

Hope everything works out
real
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

evansus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2003, 05:34 PM

Same here! I got my tracking number today, totally unexpected. I ordered through ADC with the standard build options.

Order placed 3/18
OOB date 4/22
Credit card charged and tracking number received 3/29
Expected arrival by the end of the week!

I hope everyone is getting tracking numbers!

Evan

Arch.  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2003, 09:36 PM

Anyone had their 17" leave Taiwan yet?

digitalpimp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2003, 09:38 PM

yep:

Left FedEx Ramp/C.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW 03/30/2003 14:49
Left FedEx Origin Location/TAOYUAN CITY TW 03/29/2003 16:32
Pickup status/TAOYUAN CITY TW 03/29/2003 14:47 Package received after FedEx cutoff time

Arch.  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2003, 09:42 PM

Heres mine.

When do you think it will show up? I am in Oregon.

Arch.  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2003, 09:46 PM

Heres mine. Funny that they are the same....

When do you think it will show up? I am in Oregon.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2003, 09:59 PM

I would guess April 1st or 2nd

I'm hoping to see my tracking number tomorrow, as my creditors called Friday to question the ~$3,000 charge on my card from Apple Computer!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Arch.  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2003, 10:02 PM

Its so nice to see the wait coming to an end not only for myself, but for all the ppl. on these boards. I CANT WAIT!

digitalpimp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2003, 10:21 PM

All of our laptops are coming over in one huge "bin" then after they leave customs they'll all go their separate ways.. So, i guess we are all one big family of powerbooks in a box until tomorrow

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 31, 2003, 12:08 AM

OMG! EVERYONE!!! IT'S ALMOST HERE!!!

Well, kinda, but I'm flipping out nonetheless! Just after hearing about so many ADC orders going out today, I hung my head and did my hourly routine of checking my online Credit Card account to see if anything had changed, and I almost broke the legs of my chair as I leaped up after seeing my Credit Limit had dropped substaintially (about $3,000!)!! So I grab the phone and call up my credit card people and ask if Apple Computer has placed a charge for around 3 grand on it, and sure, enough, this morning they DID!!!!

So that means my 17" PB *should* be shipping out within 72 hours...for you guys that just got tracking #'s, did your PB ship from Taiwan or from within the U.S.? I'll keep you guys posted on when I receive my tracking number! The wait is ALMOST over! WOOHOO!!!
AWESOME! It's going to be so great man. I'm happy for you. I just checked my order status and it still is "open" Oh well, I'll make it. I am calling them tomorrow. Hopefully I can get some fire under their asses! (good luck).
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2003, 12:32 AM

arch my 12' pb has the same description on its tracking. Mine also says it will be delivered on the 2nd, so I am guessing yours will too. I am in texas

ichibod
Mar 31, 2003, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by badnewsblair:
AWESOME! It's going to be so great man. I'm happy for you. I just checked my order status and it still is "open" Oh well, I'll make it. I am calling them tomorrow. Hopefully I can get some fire under their asses! (good luck).
I feel bad for you man, I know you've been waiting the longest out of any of us ADC's and you're still waiting. Hang in there, it won't be much longer, let us know how the phonecall goes.

digitalpimp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2003, 12:35 AM

i don't see any reason we shouldn't get them on the 1st. They should get into the US and clear customs monday, then get overnighted monday night to their destinations

-M

ichibod
Mar 31, 2003, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by digitalpimp:
i don't see any reason we shouldn't get them on the 1st. They should get into the US and clear customs monday, then get overnighted monday night to their destinations

-M
Especially for me if they go though Indiana, seeing as I live an hour from the airport, but my status hasn't been updated as leaving Taiwan yet =(

emumu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2003, 12:50 AM

I have BTO PB17 1GB RAM ordered on Jan.20th and have not heard anything yet. OOB date is April 2nd...

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 31, 2003, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by ichibod:
I feel bad for you man, I know you've been waiting the longest out of any of us ADC's and you're still waiting. Hang in there, it won't be much longer, let us know how the phonecall goes.
Heh. Thanks. I've been the patient one for a while. But now I'm starting to get extremely antsy. Tomorrow I turn in my 4 year final Portfolio (Graphic Arts degree) and so I'm basically done. It would be a great time to get my Powerbook to play with! I'll let you guys know! Thanks.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2003, 02:01 AM

Hehe, thanks badnewsblair!

I'm constantly checking my email in hopes of a tracking #, and of course you guys will know about it ASAP! And congrats on turning your final in tomorrow!! Best of luck w/ it, and let us know how it turns out!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

iohead
Mar 31, 2003, 02:04 AM

Good question. Mine hasn't yet (at least according to the FedEX tracking page).

Mine was shipped 3/29 (it missed the usual cutoff time). It's not boarded the plane for over 36 hours after shipping :-(

-A

ichibod
Mar 31, 2003, 02:04 AM

Heh. Thanks. I've been the patient one for a while. But now I'm starting to get extremely antsy. Tomorrow I turn in my 4 year final Portfolio (Graphic Arts degree) and so I'm basically done. It would be a great time to get my Powerbook to play with! I'll let you guys know! Thanks.
I'm also in the Graphic Arts, but I'm only a junior. I plan to use this as a great tool for showing clients in my freelance design work, and it will come in handy not to have to go home to use my computer for design. =D

Congrats on your finishing!

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 31, 2003, 02:18 AM

ICHIBOD and ASSASSYN.

Thanks for everything. It has been a rough few months! And I'm looking forward to having my 17 to play with for the remainder of the semester. I'll let you know what happens with the Portfolio and the call tomorrow. Thanks again.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2003, 12:40 PM

ICHIBOD and ASSASSYN.

Thanks for everything. It has been a rough few months! And I'm looking forward to having my 17 to play with for the remainder of the semester. I'll let you know what happens with the Portfolio and the call tomorrow. Thanks again.
No problem man! Be sure to let us know how it all goes w/ the portfolio and such!

Any other new ADC shipments today? It's been ~72 hours since Apple charged my credit card, so I'm expecting a tracking number by the end of today, or tomorrow at the very latest...hopefully when I get home today I'll have a wonderful "[email protected]" email in my inbox! *crosses fingers!*
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

ichibod
Mar 31, 2003, 01:38 PM

Any other new ADC shipments today? It's been ~72 hours since Apple charged my credit card, so I'm expecting a tracking number by the end of today, or tomorrow at the very latest...hopefully when I get home today I'll have a wonderful "[email protected]" email in my inbox! *crosses fingers!*
Good luck with the portfolio and the powerbook, keep us up-to-date

You haven't gotten your tracking number yet AssassyN? I thought you had...

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2003, 01:59 PM

Nah man, if you look up a few posts you'll see where I posted that Apple had charged my credit card but I hadn't got a tracking #, and as of right now, I still don't have one. Waiting, waiting!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

ichibod
Mar 31, 2003, 02:02 PM

Nah man, if you look up a few posts you'll see where I posted that Apple had charged my credit card but I hadn't got a tracking #, and as of right now, I still don't have one. Waiting, waiting!
well damn, I thought you had. How did I get my number before you? Well good luck to you and blair who I know want these things badly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules