Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Quick question for 1gighz eMac owners..

Quick question for 1gighz eMac owners..
Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2003, 11:01 PM

Just found a good deal here in the UK on a 1gighz eMac (DVD/CDR). Comes with a free Fuji digicam (�800, PCworld if anyone else in the Uk is interested)
But, I think the specs PCworld quoted on the sign next to the eMac were misprinted.
It says the 1gighz model has GeForce2MX graphics or something.. Isnt that for the old spec 700mhz eMacs? There was no such spec on the 1gighz models right? They all come with the ATI Radeon 7500 as far as I am aware. Would not surprise me if this was a typo. As the store is essentially a PC biased dealer, and knows diddly about Mac's. But the deal looks worth taking on, regardless..
There was a demo model running in the store, so I thought i'd check to see what it said in the system profiler, But it was all mumbo jumbo to me and I could not really make sense of it. Would be mighty nice if someone could kindly post a screen shot of their ATI profile so I know what I am looking for?

I really need it to be the ATI spec graphics, as I intend to use the screen spanning hack that only works with this chip set.
Thanks in advance
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

Grrr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 28, 2003, 04:45 PM

Grrr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2003, 11:07 PM

Well, Thanks for all your excellent help folks!

Yes, the store had misprinted the sign. So yes, it does have the ATI graphics as I hoped for. So yes, I did buy one and get a free Fuji digital camera with it (Fuji A403)

Not done the spanning hack yet however. Will do that shortly..

biscool
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2003, 01:42 PM

Glad we could help

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2003, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Grrr:
Yeah I saw that deal - looked good, but I also think they misprinted the memory too: it listed 128Mb, and I'm sure it was 256.

Not that it matters much as I would replace the memory anyway.

What is the screen spanning hack anyway?

Grrr  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2003, 08:25 PM

For the combo model, 128mb is correct. The Superdrive one has 256mb as standard though. Needless to say I whipped out the 128mb chip ASAP and popped in a couple of 512mb chips.. Much better
As for the spanning hack. This is really cool. Has been covered here before also, but to briefly recap.. eMacs and some other macs have a mini vga socket provided so the screen can be mirrored onto another monitor. But with a bit of software trickery, this can be changed, so the desktop can be extended onto another screen. Put simply, Dual monitors on an eMac.
Did the hack on mine right away, And it works perfectly.
See here for more info..
http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

Agent69
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2003, 07:17 AM

I've been thinking about getting the 1Ghz eMac. I tested the combo unit yesterday at CompUSA and even with 128MB of RAM, it felt as fast as my 700Mhz eMac (CD-RW EDU model) with maxxed out RAM. Plus, the monitor spanning would be cool.
Agent69

Forum Links
Forum Rules